Reasons we lost to Georgia

I get laughed at on here when I say we are a long long way from having elite talent.
Winning has and always will be about Jimmies and Joes.
4 or 5 teams dominate recruiting and are the same teams that dominate college football
Fans can't see that thru orange goggles

Give Kiffin this roster and let's play UGA again. I'd be curious to see how it would go.

Our O line and skill position players are too good to get stymied like they did. Chaney is an amazing, proven OC, so I doubt he's the problem either. Is it possible that JG's pre-snap reads are just really bad? At one point he checked into a run play that lost a yard and my immediate thought was, "I wonder what the other play was going to be." Are there any coaches/experts on here that actually understand that stuff?
Chaney is not amazing. Butch Jones beat a CHaney led Georgia offense. He was decent at Pitt. His best offense was with Bray and CP and that team ran the ball, not great, but better than this team.

1. After QB, the Defensive Line is the most important unit in college football. Georgia showed us exactly why in the second half

2. They have more talent across the team BUT gap is closing faster than I thought

3. We don't have another QB ready to play SEC football

4. Chaney only knows how to draw up passing plays / passing offense

Offensive line is the best its been for a long time. Georgia, unfortunately, just has a super elite D-Line and we got overwhelmed. Coaches couldn't take JG out of the game because he is our QB this year and the only one with the potential to make this team 8 - 2 this year. For me the big failure is, once again, Chaney. When our QB needed protecting after being rattled he dials in more passing plays instead of slowing down the game, finding something different in the run game, and just slowing down a relentless D-Line. Yes, if we have Josh Dobbs, we win the game but that's because Dobbs turns bad pass plays dialled up by the OC into touchdowns. We had a chance with JG but Chaney threw that away by not leaning on the run game. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, this team still had a chance to do something. No, we weren't going to beat them just running the football, but Chaney should have had a small package to try to get some yards on the ground when we needed them.

Score is what it is mostly because of Chaney, IMHO. Pruitt is the best coach we've had in orange since Fulmer and the team is so much better in every department than it has been in a long, long time. They look like an SEC team again and it's great to see. We have to beat GA, FL, and AL consistently. For the first time in over a decade, we look like we're finally getting there without needing a super-elite college QB.

RIP EVH.
Jim Chaney is bad coordinator, and JG is a average college QB. Chaney didnt seem to have a game plan against Ga. You have to scheme against each defense you play . I think he just runs his offense without ever changing to confuse the defense. JG still doesn't have a clue how to look off a safety.
He is a good kid though. Some just can't grasp that part , that's why college is as far as they go. When you can look off safeties when your passing then the passing part becomes easy.

It was a bad game plan. We needed to run more. Specifically, off tackle plays.

Lmao did you not see Ojulari and the others running circles around the OTs. Guys here is the problem. We have an OL full of OGs. Yes they are better than the Botch OL guys but most will be pro OGs. I told many this bk when May's was still a recruit he was an OG as was Trey Smith. Morris is a reached who has avg feet and Wright is better suited to be an interior road grader.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Very Good first half. I think the goal line stand, great as it was, pulled us into a belief that we are better than GA. We aren’t— not by a long shot. They made adjustments and executed the adjustments to perfection. Our guys didn’t respond— they hit us in the mouth and we backed off. That was complete domination in the second half.

I like Pruitt and think he can take us to the next level, but he’s learning on the job. They out physicalled us the second half, and they frankly made some adjustments and we didn’t.

We are now beating the SC and Missouri type teams but we aren’t up to the big boys yet.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Very Good first half. I think the goal line stand, great as it was, pulled us into a belief that we are better than GA. We aren’t— not by a long shot. They made adjustments and executed the adjustments to perfection. Our guys didn’t respond— they hit us in the mouth and we backed off. That was complete domination in the second half.

I like Pruitt and think he can take us to the next level, but he’s learning on the job. They out physicalled us the second half, and they frankly made some adjustments and we didn’t.

We are now beating the SC and Missouri type teams but we aren’t up to the big boys yet.

We're not going to beat the big boys with Jim Chaney. He can beat the middle of the pack and lower tier teams. Chaney can't consistently out coordinate top tier teams.

Reason we lost to UGA...

They are a lot better than us.

Its that simple. Its nice to have aspirational goals of measuring ourselves to UGA and Bama. The truth is we don't measure up to them. Instead of spending the last 20 years making terrible decisions they used that time to become two of the top 5 teams in the country. We aren't making up the ground in 3 years or even 10. It will take work and time.

Reactions: firestorm
I know the Chaney stat sheet is impeccable but the game is more than stats. This goes back to his first stint at Rocky Top too. Chaney is great drawing up pass plays but when his QB needs to be protected or when we need to get some tough yards (during the Tyler Bray years), his offenses at Tennessee have never managed it. I don't think we win yesterday but it was another case of Chaney leaning on a rattled QB rather than drawing something up with the run game. No, we weren't doing anything between the tackles but we had some success wide. For a couple of drives there, I think the game is a lot different if he can get a first down with some different running looks. Could have helped the O-line too who were clearly challenged with a top, top D-line unit.

RIP EVH

How can you run anything when the OL was getting destroyed by 99 and 95 on the interior which was freeing up the DEs and edge guys. My goodness you guy want a coach to be Whodini. If you can't block upfront YOU simply Will Not WIN.

In my opinion if we had started any QB on our team we would have had the same results, we could not run the ball or pass protect. Georgia's DL was a lot better than our OL, they have a very good defense.
This. The OL was nonexistent in the second half. Doesn't matter who was the QB.

I honestly wanted to see Maurer play. I knew he wouldn't, but I think Maurer was the only QB on the roster that could've given us a shot. He adds an extra dimension to the offense. Sure, he's mistake prone, but you're not beating Georgia by playing conservative.

100%. We can’t beat an elite top 5 team playing scared. Playing JG at this point is playing scared. We’re not winning the East this year. TN needs to suck it up and move on to the future QB (Bailey, Maurer, JT) and plan to make a run next year with a more skilled QB. Not doing so puts the future QB at a disadvantage and is taking away valuable playing time to adjust to SEC speed that will desperately be needed to reach the next level. JG being under center simply hinders the Offenses growth.

Lmao did you not see Ojulari and the others running circles around the OTs. Guys here is the problem. We have an OL full of OGs. Yes they are better than the Botch OL guys but most will be pro OGs. I told many this bk when May's was still a recruit he was an OG as was Trey Smith. Morris is a reached who has avg feet and Wright is better suited to be an interior road grader.

Do we have anyone on our roster or recruits we are getting that in your opinion can be a tackles?

1. After QB, the Defensive Line is the most important unit in college football. Georgia showed us exactly why in the second half

2. They have more talent across the team BUT gap is closing faster than I thought

3. We don't have another QB ready to play SEC football

4. Chaney only knows how to draw up passing plays / passing offense

Offensive line is the best its been for a long time. Georgia, unfortunately, just has a super elite D-Line and we got overwhelmed. Coaches couldn't take JG out of the game because he is our QB this year and the only one with the potential to make this team 8 - 2 this year. For me the big failure is, once again, Chaney. When our QB needed protecting after being rattled he dials in more passing plays instead of slowing down the game, finding something different in the run game, and just slowing down a relentless D-Line. Yes, if we have Josh Dobbs, we win the game but that's because Dobbs turns bad pass plays dialled up by the OC into touchdowns. We had a chance with JG but Chaney threw that away by not leaning on the run game. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, this team still had a chance to do something. No, we weren't going to beat them just running the football, but Chaney should have had a small package to try to get some yards on the ground when we needed them.

Score is what it is mostly because of Chaney, IMHO. Pruitt is the best coach we've had in orange since Fulmer and the team is so much better in every department than it has been in a long, long time. They look like an SEC team again and it's great to see. We have to beat GA, FL, and AL consistently. For the first time in over a decade, we look like we're finally getting there without needing a super-elite college QB.

RIP EVH.

Were seeing the best JG will ever be if he is the best we have then there is a lot of work to be done by the other QB's. The OL played badly against Georgia, but you wonder how much was actually their fault and how much JG contributes to their problems. When teams stack the line you need a big arm QB to burn them downfield and that is something we don't have in JG . I know a couple of the other QB's have better arms evidently they aren't ready to see the field because after the first two or three possessions of the second half against Georgia one of them should've been in there.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Reason we lost to UGA...

They are a lot better than us.

Its that simple. Its nice to have aspirational goals of measuring ourselves to UGA and Bama. The truth is we don't measure up to them. Instead of spending the last 20 years making terrible decisions they used that time to become two of the top 5 teams in the country. We aren't making up the ground in 3 years or even 10. It will take work and time.
Yep. Some folks just don’t understand that Georgia is still more talented than us right now. And we made 3 bad coaching choices in a row and that sets you back. Now I would disagree with your 10 year time frame. I believe it will come quicker than that if Pruitt tweaks the staff some (Will Friend?) and if Harrison Bailey is what we think he is. We’ve made up a lot in 2 years but we ain’t there yet.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back