Reasons we lost to Georgia

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
1. After QB, the Defensive Line is the most important unit in college football. Georgia showed us exactly why in the second half

2. They have more talent across the team BUT gap is closing faster than I thought

3. We don't have another QB ready to play SEC football

4. Chaney only knows how to draw up passing plays / passing offense

Offensive line is the best its been for a long time. Georgia, unfortunately, just has a super elite D-Line and we got overwhelmed. Coaches couldn't take JG out of the game because he is our QB this year and the only one with the potential to make this team 8 - 2 this year. For me the big failure is, once again, Chaney. When our QB needed protecting after being rattled he dials in more passing plays instead of slowing down the game, finding something different in the run game, and just slowing down a relentless D-Line. Yes, if we have Josh Dobbs, we win the game but that's because Dobbs turns bad pass plays dialled up by the OC into touchdowns. We had a chance with JG but Chaney threw that away by not leaning on the run game. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, this team still had a chance to do something. No, we weren't going to beat them just running the football, but Chaney should have had a small package to try to get some yards on the ground when we needed them.

Score is what it is mostly because of Chaney, IMHO. Pruitt is the best coach we've had in orange since Fulmer and the team is so much better in every department than it has been in a long, long time. They look like an SEC team again and it's great to see. We have to beat GA, FL, and AL consistently. For the first time in over a decade, we look like we're finally getting there without needing a super-elite college QB.

RIP EVH.

QB play is the reason, period. Saying we don't have another QB ready to play makes zero sense being that we have a QB that started games last year on the bench right now. The talent gap excuse is simply overplayed. Ole Miss is nowhere close to Bama in talent and look how they played. 5 years on campus and JG has won 0 games against good teams. How he is still the starter is dumbfounding. The only reasonable guess is he practices well because he gets to wear a green jersey so nobody can hit him. There is no pressure in practice. He folds every single game he makes a mistake. You can literally count on him getting worse after making a mistake in a game. At this point and playing in a season where eligibility does not count Pruitt should be playing QB's for the future.

Honestly, I thought our DL was a liability going into the game. At least against the better programs. Even after Johnson went out they held up better than I thought.

Was surprised the OL played that poorly. They needed a draw against a good DL and got completely whipped. Especially in the second half.

The QB didn't lose the game by himself but the fact is opposing defenses don't respect him. Until we have a QB that does draw that you re gonna struggle against teams like that.

Our O line and skill position players are too good to get stymied like they did. Chaney is an amazing, proven OC, so I doubt he's the problem either. Is it possible that JG's pre-snap reads are just really bad? At one point he checked into a run play that lost a yard and my immediate thought was, "I wonder what the other play was going to be." Are there any coaches/experts on here that actually understand that stuff?

Such an incredibly dumb comment that we don’t have another qb ready for sec play. How on earth do you know that? How does anyone know that? None of the others have played. Would you have said two weeks ago uga has one in Bennett? He’s a former walk on that weighs 175 pounds. But their coach kept rotating QBs until he found someone that could play. Ours doesn’t. End of story. And between the 3 backups we have there’s almost no question that there’s a lot of talent there

Honestly, I thought our DL was a liability going into the game. At least against the better programs. Even after Johnson went out they held up better than I thought.

Was surprised the OL played that poorly. They needed a draw against a good DL and got completely whipped. Especially in the second half.

The QB didn't lose the game by himself but the fact is opposing defenses don't respect him. Until we have a QB that does draw that you re gonna struggle against teams like that.
OL did not perform to expectations or hype. No running game let UGA pin their ears back and go. Tackles got killed on the outside. Too many times our guards were looking for someone to block while JG was getting sacked due to stunts on the outside. The OL has to wear this one.

JG can't throw on the run. You can put in some roll out packages to get away from the pressure long enough to throw the ball. JG was letting them time his snaps a lot too. You can't stop a rusher that is at full speed when you snap the ball. UGA may have been offsides once, but I don't remember any. They sure bothered our line with their shift. JG has some tells as well that allow defenses to know what side we are running. UGA knew what was coming and once they got ahead they just sent the house.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
1. After QB, the Defensive Line is the most important unit in college football. Georgia showed us exactly why in the second half

2. They have more talent across the team BUT gap is closing faster than I thought

Offensive line is the best its been for a long time. Georgia, unfortunately, just has a super elite D-Line and we got overwhelmed. Coaches couldn't take JG out of the game because he is our QB this year and the only one with the potential to make this team 8 - 2 this year. For me the big failure is, once again, Chaney. When our QB needed protecting after being rattled he dials in more passing plays instead of slowing down the game, finding something different in the run game, and just slowing down a relentless D-Line. Yes, if we have Josh Dobbs, we win the game but that's because Dobbs turns bad pass plays dialled up by the OC into touchdowns. We had a chance with JG but Chaney threw that away by not leaning on the run game. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, this team still had a chance to do something. No, we weren't going to beat them just running the football, but Chaney should have had a small package to try to get some yards on the ground when we needed them.

Score is what it is mostly because of Chaney, IMHO. Pruitt is the best coach we've had in orange since Fulmer and the team is so much better in every department than it has been in a long, long time. They look like an SEC team again and it's great to see. We have to beat GA, FL, and AL consistently. For the first time in over a decade, we look like we're finally getting there without needing a super-elite college QB.

RIP EVH.

Our oline is extremely overrated as is Chaney but the players deserve a lot of the blame for their sloppy play

You have to be able to call audible at the line. Slid your protection when they're shifting their line. Too many times they had a guy coming free after they shifted. We also make our runningbacks work real hard to get yards. Slid your TE inside pre snap and clear a hole for him. The gameplan sucked, the OC sucked, the QB and Oline stunk too. There were things we could of did scheme wise to slow their pass rush, but didn't do them. Penalties and turnovers killed them in the second half. JG also showed everyone why most of us are tired of watching him.. This team with this offense may win 5 or 6 games. They're not consistent in anything they do.

Reactions: whodeycin85

RIP EVH.

1. Both OL/DL but I agree
2. Is a fact
3. I don't believe this is true, and I hv said this in discussions with CJC. If they can't or aren't able/ ready to play then that's on yawl coaches.
4. Definitely not true chk out his track record since 2014. Jim Chaney's Offenses and QBs By the Numbers | Rocky Top Insider
Numbers definitely don't support your statement.

Kirby has been there longer and has more talent. Them trailing at half time was an indictment on their coaching. The proof in that was the 2nd half.

I agree with much of your analysis, but totally disagree on the stuff about the run game. It was about 50-50 run-pass before we fell way behind. The passing game worked some of the time. The run game never worked.

We just got manhandled up front. Simple as that. Could Chaney scheme around that? Maybe. But Georgia has literally done this to every single team they've played in the past year or so, so at some point, you just have to acknowledge that Georgia's run D is elite.

I honestly wanted to see Maurer play. I knew he wouldn't, but I think Maurer was the only QB on the roster that could've given us a shot. He adds an extra dimension to the offense. Sure, he's mistake prone, but you're not beating Georgia by playing conservative.

1. Our vaunted OL was manhandled. They acted like georgia shifting was the first time they had ever seen it. Did they not watch the film?

2. Georgia blitzing. Either we had a bad play call, we missed picking up the extra man, or JG isn't skilled enough to get the ball out quick enough. No matter how you slice it where we should have won some of these we didn't.

3. JG didn't help the cause either. This isn't our year and JG clearly isn't the answer. Let's get HB some experience and through his freshman mistakes.

4. Dumb penalties.

wkwiX5T.gif

I've been saying this since last night. I don't understand why people can't see this.

In my opinion if we had started any QB on our team we would have had the same results, we could not run the ball or pass protect. Georgia's DL was a lot better than our OL, they have a very good defense.

Also a different QB doesn’t change the Georgia Bulldogs made great adjustments, the Volunteers can’t run the football when needed, and the big plays by the Bulldogs offense weren’t contained.

If a team can’t play a full great game also have great halftime adjustments for the 2nd half then they will not defeat a great team that uses great halftime adjustments and scores all points mostly touchdowns in the 2nd half.

4. Definitely not true chk out his track record since 2014. Jim Chaney's Offenses and QBs By the Numbers | Rocky Top Insider
Numbers definitely don't support your statement.

I know the Chaney stat sheet is impeccable but the game is more than stats. This goes back to his first stint at Rocky Top too. Chaney is great drawing up pass plays but when his QB needs to be protected or when we need to get some tough yards (during the Tyler Bray years), his offenses at Tennessee have never managed it. I don't think we win yesterday but it was another case of Chaney leaning on a rattled QB rather than drawing something up with the run game. No, we weren't doing anything between the tackles but we had some success wide. For a couple of drives there, I think the game is a lot different if he can get a first down with some different running looks. Could have helped the O-line too who were clearly challenged with a top, top D-line unit.

RIP EVH

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I get laughed at on here when I say we are a long long way from having elite talent.
Winning has and always will be about Jimmies and Joes.
4 or 5 teams dominate recruiting and are the same teams that dominate college football
Fans can't see that thru orange goggles
Agree, and who does the recruiting.....coaches

I know the Chaney stat sheet is impeccable but the game is more than stats. This goes back to his first stint at Rocky Top too. Chaney is great drawing up pass plays but when his QB needs to be protected or when we need to get some tough yards (during the Tyler Bray years), his offenses at Tennessee have never managed it. I don't think we win yesterday but it was another case of Chaney leaning on a rattled QB rather than drawing something up with the run game. No, we weren't doing anything between the tackles but we had some success wide. For a couple of drives there, I think the game is a lot different if he can get a first down with some different running looks. Could have helped the O-line too who were clearly challenged with a top, top D-line unit.

RIP EVH
He couldn't draw anything up with a run because there was no running game.

Reactions: de1conley

VN Store

Back