Reasonable fans post game discussion

It’s not that people don’t like defense. It’s that people like to see exciting basketball. If we had even a “ decent” offense to go with our defense, we would be a fun team to watch. Other than 2019 we haven’t really been fun to watch since Bruce Pearl was the coach. Just saying
Yet our offensive numbers are better than “decent” and better than LSU’s, the team half this board goes gah gah over, go figure.

Being Top 35 in both has you ranked as like a Top 30 team on KenPom, being Top 5 in 1 and Top 50 in the other seems to have a team ranked higher (Purdue, LSU, Tennessee, Texas Tech).

Not getting to the line was a major issue, we’ve don’t a much better job of it the last 6 games and especially the last 2 games…not sure if it’s an outlier or not but seems to be better.
We have to be better than 299th nationally from the FT line if we are going to make that our bread and butter. Interestingly enough, though, #1-ranked Baylor is right behind us at 300th.

We have to be better than 299th nationally from the FT line if we are going to make that our bread and butter. Interestingly enough, though, #1-ranked Baylor is right behind us at 300th.
Last 6 games we’ve averaged 22.16FTA, in conference play we’ve averaged 22.5FTA which ranks 5th in SEC…both would rank Top 10 nationally on average. Obviously that’s not a huge sample size but it’s a size we are getting to the line much more.

Last 6 games we’ve averaged 22.16FTA, in conference play we’ve averaged 22.5FTA which ranks 5th in SEC…both would rank Top 10 nationally on average. Obviously that’s not a huge sample size but it’s a size we are getting to the line much more.
I'm talking about hitting them. We are 299th in FT shooting %. Getting to the line is great unless you're a terrible FT shooting team. If a more concerted effort to get to the line is our plan, we better improve our make percentage.

I'm talking about hitting them. We are 299th in FT shooting %. Getting to the line is great unless you're a terrible FT shooting team. If a more concerted effort to get to the line is our plan, we better improve our make percentage.

In 6 of 15 games TN only took 10 or fewer free throws. Then spread those among 9 or 10 players and they’re not getting many reps. It is encouraging that the attempts have gone up with the better competition. Even when missing at a disturbingly higher than accrptable rate, there is the added benefit of fouls adding up on the opposing players. I hate the highly physical games when the refs let so much rough play go unchecked. Basketball is supposed to be more of a finesse game. TN’s roster isn’t built this year for highly physical play. Plus Barnes has a long bench if both sides are whistled a lot. For once, I hope the refs don’t swallow their whistles and TN adapts and takes advantage.

Gotcha, and I’ve mentioned it multiple times…regardless of what offensive changes we make if we don’t start shouting better from all 3 levels we are going to struggle, idc who the coach is.

In 6 of 15 games TN only took 10 or fewer free throws. Then spread those among 9 or 10 players and they’re not getting many reps. It is encouraging that the attempts have gone up with the better competition. Even when missing at a disturbingly higher than accrptable rate, there is the added benefit of fouls adding up on the opposing players. I hate the highly physical games when the refs let so much rough play go unchecked. Basketball is supposed to be more of a finesse game. TN’s roster isn’t built this year for highly physical play. Plus Barnes has a long bench if both sides are whistled a lot. For once, I hope the refs don’t swallow their whistles and TN adapts and takes advantage.
Yeah, there are some hidden benefits, like fouls adding up on certain opposing players. And I am happy to see our attempts going up. I do want to see us take advantage though, because going to the line is an empty possession if you miss. We don't have to be 80% as a team, but at least 70% is needed for a team who struggles scoring the ball when it's in play.

Yeah, there are some hidden benefits, like fouls adding up on certain opposing players. And I am happy to see our attempts going up. I do want to see us take advantage though, because going to the line is an empty possession if you miss. We don't have to be 80% as a team, but at least 70% is needed for a team who struggles scoring the ball when it's in play.

I think the average gets better if they keep getting opportunities. It seems to be another mental block. Vescovi, Powell, Bailey, and Chandler are very good free throw shooters. Probably ZZZ as well. KC hit 2 of 2 last night and then missed two front ends. On the Basilio post game Romper Room/Garza Basketball Overtime last night, they said that KC made 44 consecutive free throws in high school,

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think the average gets better if they keep getting opportunities. It seems to be another mental block. Vescovi, Powell, Bailey, and Chandler are very good free throw shooters. Probably ZZZ as well. KC hit 2 of 2 last night and then missed two front ends. On the Basilio post game Romper Room/Garza Basketball Overtime last night, they said that KC made 44 consecutive free throws in high school,
I hope it corrects itself. But 15 games into a 30 game season, I'm losing faith, not to mention patience with it.

I hope it corrects itself. But 15 games into a 30 game season, I'm losing faith, not to mention patience with it.

I think it will. It’s a mental adjustment. There were fewer opportunities earlier AND when games are easily in hand with the Ws it’s a lot easier to knock them down. 10 for 10 versus TN Tech. 14/16 versus ETSU. However 80% plus versus UNC and Villanova. Although neither of those games were close.

Bailey might be one of the best to have shooting them in a high pressure, end of game scenarios. ZZZ seems like he might be a player with ice water in his veins. KC is an enigma. I bet he’ll really find his stroke. Vescovi will too. Uros is better than he showed last night. It’s be cool if JJJ, Fulk, and ORN hit 70%+.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I hate Memorial Gymnasium. At least the coaches no longer have to stay at the end zones. I wanted to punch Baldy in the throat every time he’d whistle at his players.

It amazes me the number of people who call into Tony Basilio's with commentary about our basketball team, coaching staff, etc. Most have the equivalent of a 3rd grade education relative to knowledge of the sport, itself. Yet, they speak on the subject as if they've earned a doctorate from Duke with a fellowship under Coach K.

They want to discount all of the advanced analytics because it doesn't fit their narrative, and they'd rather "trust their eyes". And in full disclosure, anyone's eyes can tell you we got whipped by UK on Saturday, but to make a judgement on the entire season, say you're unimpressed with wins over Arizona or at Colorado, and to believe we potentially have 9 losses left on our schedule, well...we'll... just sound ignorant. Fortunately, you're sounding board (Basilio, himself) made his mind up on Barnes a few months after he was hired, so he laps up any negative perception and reinforces it, himself. Just some real knuckleheads out there who don't like Tennessee basketball, right now, but aren't able to, or honest enough, to articulate what it is they don't like.

It amazes me the number of people who call into Tony Basilio's with commentary about our basketball team, coaching staff, etc. Most have the equivalent of a 3rd grade education relative to knowledge of the sport, itself. Yet, they speak on the subject as if they've earned a doctorate from Duke with a fellowship under Coach K.

They want to discount all of the advanced analytics because it doesn't fit their narrative, and they'd rather "trust their eyes". And in full disclosure, anyone's eyes can tell you we got whipped by UK on Saturday, but to make a judgement on the entire season, say you're unimpressed with wins over Arizona or at Colorado, and to believe we potentially have 9 losses left on our schedule, well...we'll... just sound ignorant. Fortunately, you're sounding board (Basilio, himself) made his mind up on Barnes a few months after he was hired, so he laps up any negative perception and reinforces it, himself. Just some real knuckleheads out there who don't like Tennessee basketball, right now, but aren't able to, or honest enough, to articulate what it is they don't like.

I'm amazed that sports talk radio is still a thing or at the least so many shows still exist. I haven't listened to one regularly in years and the only times I have in the past 5-6 years is when I've had to drive a long distance or checking in during a Tennessee coaching search. Even back in the day when I liked shows like George Plaster or 3HL I usually never listened to full shows because I'd get bored after a while.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I hate Memorial Gymnasium. At least the coaches no longer have to stay at the end zones. I wanted to punch Baldy in the throat every time he’d whistle at his players.
saw my first UT basketball there around 1956
only memory was the vision from court level, and I think my Dad got those strange seats cause he had friend who was SEC referee

I'm amazed that sports talk radio is still a thing or at the least so many shows still exist. I haven't listened to one regularly in years and the only times I have in the past 5-6 years is when I've had to drive a long distance or checking in during a Tennessee coaching search. Even back in the day when I liked shows like George Plaster or 3HL I usually never listened to full shows because I'd get bored after a while.
I rarely ever agree with much Tony says, much less his callers. I just listen for the mid-day noise and off chance he breaks a story since he isn't afraid to report things. Living out of town, I went years without listening to any sports talk radio after I moved from Knoxville until I started listening to his over the internet program about a year ago.

VN Store

Back