Reasonable fans post game discussion

I think I’ve finally figured out why Uros gets minutes every game - the effort is there the whole time he plays. I’ve been posting how I wish he would start trying to dunk every time he touches the ball in the paint and he tried to tonight. If the officials would start officiating him fairly he would be even more productive. I thought the intentional foul they called on him should have been a foul on the lsu guy and Uros got hit in the head when the guy blocked his dunk attempt. Hope this game builds his confidence some and he can become better from it.
The guy is always giving his all. I would like to see him get some of ON minutes personally , run some sets through him in and out. He seems to have pretty good hands and passing abilities. We aren’t running tempo right now anyway, so why not.

Main problem was FT shooting, offense never got in a rhythm in the first half because of how much they got fouled.
Free throw shooting has to be fixed, guys just have to know it is going in, get some kind of routine before shooting, like a golfer putting the ball. Something to hone in on. My coach told me to look at the basket, see it grow to double the size take 2 dribbles and shoot. Got me up to almost 90%. Coach Mears used to teach the routine as well and if something happened after the routine and before the shot, such as a sub or something to start the routine over again. Players have to do it, a coach can’t shoot for them.

Reactions: walkenvol
Free throw shooting has to be fixed, guys just have to know it is going in, get some kind of routine before shooting, like a golfer putting the ball. Something to hone in on. My coach told me to look at the basket, see it grow to double the size take 2 dribbles and shoot. Got me up to almost 90%. Coach Mears used to teach the routine as well and if something happened after the routine and before the shot, such as a sub or something to start the routine over again. Players have to do it, a coach can’t shoot for them.
It’s mostly mental, in my opinion. The first 6 games or so, this team was tracking around 75%, so I really felt we would have an advantage in that area. I think a mental re-set might be in order.

Main problem was FT shooting, offense never got in a rhythm in the first half because of how much they got fouled.
That shouldn't be overlooked. USC muddied the waters for us because of how much they fouled and disrupted the game flow. Now, we didn't do our job making them pay for it at the line. Even if we shoot our season average (66.5%...which is terrible), we beat them by 26 points, despite shooting poorly from 3 and turning the ball over 15 times, ourselves. It wasn't a perfect game offensively, but one you try and build off of heading to Rupp.

In a twist of fate, that was the worst UT free throw performance I can remember and if Powell can’t figure out how to get himself a decent look at the basket I don’t see how he can ever contribute.
On the bright side at least a defender stays glued to him at the 3pt line helping spacing

Did not catch the game but just a quick peruse of the box score isn’t super encouraging, even considering Vescovi went 2-9 from 3. 15 turnovers way too much considering our pace as well. Another game below 1ppp
I know that you like offense and are an offensive guy, and I’m not saying we shouldn’t be trying to improve it/have things that would make it better etc, however…

Is it 100% doom and gloom if this is the makeup of the team? LSU who our fans can’t stop gushing about has an offensive efficiency ranking 10 spots worse than us. We have 6 games out of 15 less than 1ppp and they also have 6/15 with the same. The Texas Tech team that played in the title game had an ORTG round 100th nationally, but had the #1 defense. Chris Beard who is widely considered the best college coach has never had a Top 50 ORTG.

My point being, can’t we still be good if the defense is that elite? It seems like offense is just sexy and so people want it to be good, you have Iowa and who is 3rd nationally in offense but couldn’t stop a blind team from scoring, they’re 11-4(1-3) and don’t have a single Top 50 win, would that be a better/sexier option?

Reactions: GenRRN
I know that you like offense and are an offensive guy, and I’m not saying we shouldn’t be trying to improve it/have things that would make it better etc, however…

Is it 100% doom and gloom if this is the makeup of the team? LSU who our fans can’t stop gushing about has an offensive efficiency ranking 10 spots worse than us. We have 6 games out of 15 less than 1ppp and they also have 6/15 with the same. The Texas Tech team that played in the title game had an ORTG round 100th nationally, but had the #1 defense. Chris Beard who is widely considered the best college coach has never had a Top 50 ORTG.

My point being, can’t we still be good if the defense is that elite? It seems like offense is just sexy and so people want it to be good, you have Iowa and who is 3rd nationally in offense but couldn’t stop a blind team from scoring, they’re 11-4(1-3) and don’t have a single Top 50 win, would that be a better/sexier option?

Yes because it’s not going to win in March.

I saw the game but had to take care of some business after it was over. A win is a win. I think we will all admit SC is one of the worst 2 teams in the SEC. We are hard to watch offensively and I still blame Barnes for that. His rotations and constantly substituting players prevents any kind of rhythm offensively. Now we head North for a matchup with the team that BTO said a few weeks ago wasn’t even considered a tournament team. I guess we shouldn’t have any problem winning that game, right? All kidding aside, if we can somehow pull out a W in Lexington it will take a little sting out of the Bama and LSU losses. However, I am not at all confident based on our continued shooting woes and especially 11-25 from the FT line.
UK is playing well and has started to find their footing, but you already knew that. As bad as we are to watch offensively we are even better defensively, is it just that people don’t like defense?

Also sports ref has us 10th in their defensive rating, so whatever rating they use doesn’t see us as elite as well.
10th nationally isn’t elite? Regardless, my point remains, teams with defensive make ups exist…would you rather be Iowa or LSU? LSU’s offense is worse than ours but you don’t see people discussing that nearly as much?

Remember, kenpom adjusts for competition. That’s probably the difference.

10th nationally isn’t elite? Regardless, my point remains, teams with defensive make ups exist…would you rather be Iowa or LSU? LSU’s offense is worse than ours but you don’t see people discussing that nearly as much?

“As elite” words are important.

I’d rather be not be 61st in offensive efficiency and 145th in effective FG%. I don’t think I’m asking for much for those to be higher.

“As elite” words are important.

I’d rather be not be 61st in offensive efficiency and 145th in effective FG%. I don’t think I’m asking for much for those to be higher.
And I said in my OP that I’m not saying we can’t be better or shouldn’t be, or that we shouldn’t be trying to be…but it seems like being great offensively and sucking defensively would be widely accepted? A Top 50 offense would put Tennessee in a better spot, and that’s only 11 spots, which is probably accomplished by simply hitting 75% of free throws…doesn’t seem like the optics would be much different?

And I said in my OP that I’m not saying we can’t be better or shouldn’t be, or that we shouldn’t be trying to be…but it seems like being great offensively and sucking defensively would be widely accepted? A Top 50 offense would put Tennessee in a better spot, and that’s only 11 spots, which is probably accomplished by simply hitting 75% of free throws…doesn’t seem like the optics would be much different?

Probably not. Offensive basketball is more fun but I’m sure fans would complain if we sucked defensively. I don’t know why you think it has to be one or the other. You can find good teams in the that have been top 35 in both. Sure it would look a little better if we hit FT’s, but we still aren’t good enough in EFG%. We are also 311th in FTA to FGA, so it’s not like we are getting to the line 25-30 times and missing either.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Well 2019 Texas Tech had the 25th rated offense on kenpom and Beard had a top 50 offense every year at Texas Tech so idk what stats you are using

It's interesting this is brought up. If you look at their results from 2018-2019, TT scored less than 70 points in 11 games against P5 teams. All are at the beginning of their schedule.

Then, at about game 26, they played 8 straight games in the Big 12 where they scored 70+ points. I wonder what their KP offensive efficiency was at game 25- it couldn't have been good. Something seemed to change for them.

It's interesting this is brought up. If you look at their results from 2018-2019, TT scored less than 70 points in 11 games against P5 teams. All are at the beginning of their schedule.

Then, at about game 26, they played 8 straight games in the Big 12 where they scored 70+ points. I wonder what their KP offensive efficiency was at game 25- it couldn't have been good. Something seemed to change for them.

I believe I’ve read Beard’s team historically get better offensively as the year goes on. They did get better in 2019. We could also get better. But I have my doubts based on history.

Reactions: Nighthawkvol10
UK is playing well and has started to find their footing, but you already knew that. As bad as we are to watch offensively we are even better defensively, is it just that people don’t like defense?
It’s not that people don’t like defense. It’s that people like to see exciting basketball. If we had even a “ decent” offense to go with our defense, we would be a fun team to watch. Other than 2019 we haven’t really been fun to watch since Bruce Pearl was the coach. Just saying

I believe I’ve read Beard’s team historically get better offensively as the year goes on. They did get better in 2019. We could also get better. But I have my doubts based on history.

In the NCAAT though, they held every team except UVA to below 70 points and 4 teams below 60 points. They won 2 NCAAT games in the SS and FF scoring 63 and 61 points.

In the NCAAT though, they held every team except UVA to below 70 points and 4 teams below 60 points. They won 2 NCAAT games in the SS and FF scoring 63 and 61 points.

Yes, but they still were pretty decent offensively. They averaged at least 1 ppp in every game in the NCAAT that year

Probably not. Offensive basketball is more fun but I’m sure fans would complain if we sucked defensively. I don’t know why you think it has to be one or the other. You can find good teams in the that have been top 35 in both. Sure it would look a little better if we hit FT’s, but we still aren’t good enough in EFG%. We are also 311th in FTA to FGA, so it’s not like we are getting to the line 25-30 times and missing either.
Being Top 35 in both has you ranked as like a Top 30 team on KenPom, being Top 5 in 1 and Top 50 in the other seems to have a team ranked higher (Purdue, LSU, Tennessee, Texas Tech).

Not getting to the line was a major issue, we’ve don’t a much better job of it the last 6 games and especially the last 2 games…not sure if it’s an outlier or not but seems to be better.

VN Store

Back