Reasonable fans post game discussion

walkenvol

Don’t know where all these crazies have come from, but I hate being run off the forum by these guys spewing over the top trollish negativity. If you can’t have a reasonable discussion without mentioning CRB’s salary or making over the top insults of the staff, team, or individual players then please move on to one of the 10 other threads where like minded folks will welcome your venting.

Let the reasonable discussion begin!

Don’t know where all these crazies have come from, but I hate being run off the forum by these guys spewing over the top trollish negativity. If you can’t have a reasonable discussion without mentioning CRB’s salary or making over the top insults of the staff, team, or individual players then please move on to one of the 10 other threads where like minded folks will welcome your venting.

Let the reasonable discussion begin!

I’ve thought about starting this exact same thread but figured that the trolls would be in it spewing their crap anyway.

I think I’ve finally figured out why Uros gets minutes every game - the effort is there the whole time he plays. I’ve been posting how I wish he would start trying to dunk every time he touches the ball in the paint and he tried to tonight. If the officials would start officiating him fairly he would be even more productive. I thought the intentional foul they called on him should have been a foul on the lsu guy and Uros got hit in the head when the guy blocked his dunk attempt. Hope this game builds his confidence some and he can become better from it.

I’ve thought about starting this exact same thread but figured that the trolls would be in it spewing their crap anyway.
Sorry for not including you specifically in the title and I’m sure I missed a bunch of the other reasoned posters.

Maybe we can agree to not respond to the trolls in this thread and they will go to the other threads?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I admit, I’m an emotional roller coaster on game day. Just who I am. But, it’s hard to not get frustrated by this team. We should be so much better than we are and I’m not seeing improvement yet.

Not much else to say, other than just win. It’s still early but it hasn’t been an encouraging start to SEC Play. Barnes has to find a way to get more from the offense.

The basketball forum is, in my opinion, the best forum on Volnation. The regular posters are generally knowledgeable, sensible, and respectful, and they have a generally sound sense of proportion. I'd hate to see all of this drowned out by those who are dissatisfied with the bandwagon they've just climbed on.

In order to prevent this from being an echo chamber, what's causing the team to perform a little below expectations?

Is it assimilating freshmen, misses with transfers, lack of continued development from bigs, upperclassmen not performing to recruiting rankings, assistant turnover, combo of all the above?

I admit, I’m an emotional roller coaster on game day. Just who I am. But, it’s hard to not get frustrated by this team. We should be so much better than we are and I’m not seeing improvement yet.

Not much else to say, other than just win. It’s still early but it hasn’t been an encouraging start to SEC Play. Barnes has to find a way to get more from the offense.
You don’t have any thoughts on what will get more from the offense?

We all know college basketball is erratic and unpredictable. Everyone is upset we lost but like bama losing to Missouri crazy things happen. Lsu shoots lights out from 3 which was not their norm at all. We miss a bunch of ft’s and make a good many sloppy unforced to’s. Also, it just struck me how many times a lose ball would bounce right to an lsu guy,

Every time we lose it can’t be we’re a terrible team with a terrible coach and we will lose the rest of our games because we’re so bad.

In order to prevent this from being an echo chamber, what's causing the team to perform a little below expectations?

Is it assimilating freshmen, misses with transfers, lack of continued development from bigs, upperclassmen not performing to recruiting rankings, assistant turnover, combo of all the above?

New guys+poor offensive system in general.

We take more three’s which is great! We still don’t play up tempo style enough and we still run that damned 3-2 motion 90’s offense. There just isn’t enough modern sets that consistently gets open looks. And we don’t shoot well. So we got an offense that doesn’t push the pace and generate enough open looks, and we aren’t a good shooting team. Recipe for bad offensive play

Sorry for not including you specifically in the title and I’m sure I missed a bunch of the other reasoned posters.

Maybe we can agree to not respond to the trolls in this thread and they will go to the other threads?

Actually I was probably thinking about doing the opposite. Creating a thread to encourage them to get their hate out in one place. It would’ve never worked though. They want to spread their nonsense, not get it out of their system.

And no problem. I don’t need to be in the title drawing in MY HATERS.

You don’t have any thoughts on what will get more from the offense?

We all know college basketball is erratic and unpredictable. Everyone is upset we lost but like bama losing to Missouri crazy things happen. Lsu shoots lights out from 3 which was not their norm at all. We miss a bunch of ft’s and make a good many sloppy unforced to’s. Also, it just struck me how many times a lose ball would bounce right to an lsu guy,

Every time we lose it can’t be we’re a terrible team with a terrible coach and we will lose the rest of our games because we’re so bad.

I don’t know how you coach guys to make open shots. Maybe we have to completely overhaul the offensive philosophy, but it’s tough to do that mid-season and probably ill-advised. But, right now, our problem is we miss a TON of wide open shots nearly every game.

We also missed 13 or 14 free throws tonight which is a killer. Basketball, like baseball, is a game of regression to the mean. Theoretically, we should be due a few good shooting games here soon, but it feels like I’ve been saying that for 2-3 weeks and it hasn’t come. Hopefully USCe can be a get right type of contest. We need a confidence booster.

We take more three’s which is great! We still don’t play up tempo style enough and we still run that damned 3-2 motion 90’s offense. There just isn’t enough modern sets that consistently gets open looks. And we don’t shoot well. So we got an offense that doesn’t push the pace and generate enough open looks, and we aren’t a good shooting team. Recipe for bad offensive play

Agree on the tempo. I'll throw this out here. The most successful coaches today rely on transfers/portal. The last 3 big transfers here have been huge disappointments and appeared to regress while here. Does the complex offensive scheme hurt in assimilating those transfer players and freshmen? Does it hurt in bringing in those transfers that could contribute?

I’m no basketball coach by any means, but I’m not sure there’s a problem with the offensive system. It strikes me that too many of our guys are wildly inconsistent more so than any previous year I can recall. Other than Vescovi no one else has been consistent at all. Why is it worse in that regard this season compared to CRB’s prior 5 years?

Reactions: savannahfan
Played 2 teams on the road in which we don’t play well against. For SEC teams, we have the 2nd worst winning percentage against Alabama and 4th worst against LSU all-time. We actually have a losing record against Alabama all-time. Only other team outside of Kentucky in the conference that can say that. All that really needs to be said. We will see this LSU team in a couple weeks in Knoxville and hopefully we play them better at home.

Agree on the tempo. I'll throw this out here. The most successful coaches today rely on transfers/portal. The last 3 big transfers here have been huge disappointments and appeared to regress while here. Does the complex offensive scheme hurt in assimilating those transfer players and freshmen? Does it hurt in bringing in those transfers that could contribute?

Possible. I will say Barnes can be (let’s say) tough on players and I do think there could be a issue with the scheme/confidence of those guys. I don’t find the offense to be complex because SEC teams usually scout is well. Our offensive efficiency has gone down the last three years as we get into late January and February. Our spacing is so poor. That’s a big problem.

Arkansas is sort of the poster child for portal guys and they are struggling this season?

I don’t know how you coach guys to make open shots. Maybe we have to completely overhaul the offensive philosophy, but it’s tough to do that mid-season and probably ill-advised. But, right now, our problem is we miss a TON of wide open shots nearly every game.

We also missed 13 or 14 free throws tonight which is a killer. Basketball, like baseball, is a game of regression to the mean. Theoretically, we should be due a few good shooting games here soon, but it feels like I’ve been saying that for 2-3 weeks and it hasn’t come. Hopefully USCe can be a get right type of contest. We need a confidence booster.

There are players shooting 3s that have no business doing so because they hit <25% of them. We have to take better shots and there needs to be more of a focus on throwing the ball inside and working inside out. This shoot if you are open is not good cause it means we shoot too many 3s. I mean if you are the opponent- why guard JJJ away from the basket?

I’m no basketball coach by any means, but I’m not sure there’s a problem with the offensive system. It strikes me that too many of our guys are wildly inconsistent more so than any previous year I can recall. Other than Vescovi no one else has been consistent at all. Why is it worse in that regard this season compared to CRB’s prior 5 years?

In Barnes 6+ years here we have been average or below average in conference play in offensive efficiency in 5/7 years. Other than the two Grant SEC POY years, we’ve been poor on offense. I think yes we’ve missed a decent amount of open looks that in years past we hit. But I’m still not seeing enough consistent good looks from players that should be taking a shot. Yeah sure maybe the numbers show JJJ got an open 3 with 19 seconds left in the shot clock and that goes down as a “good look” but to me that’s not a good look. That’s not what we want.

Played 2 teams on the road in which we don’t play well against. For SEC teams, we have the 2nd worst winning percentage against Alabama and 4th worst against LSU all-time. We actually have a losing record against Alabama all-time. Only other team outside of Kentucky in the conference that can say that. All that really needs to be said. We will see this LSU team in a couple weeks in Knoxville and hopefully we play them better at home.
We need some officials who continue to call fouls even if lsu already has been tagged way more. Zebras trying to even out the calls over the course of the game really plays into what lsu is trying to do

There are players shooting 3s that have no business doing so because they hit <25% of them. We have to take better shots and there needs to be more of a focus on throwing the ball inside and working inside out. This shoot if you are open is not good cause it means we shoot too many 3s. I mean if you are the opponent- why guard JJJ away from the basket?

JJJ was 2 for 5 from 3 versus Ole Miss with players guarding him. You don’t leave (almost) any NCAA player wide open beyond the arc. Bama is lucky that Bailey didn’t burn them when he missed.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
In Barnes 6+ years here we have been average or below average in conference play in offensive efficiency in 5/7 years. Other than the two Grant SEC POY years, we’ve been poor on offense. I think yes we’ve missed a decent amount of open looks that in years past we hit. But I’m still not seeing enough consistent good looks from players that should be taking a shot. Yeah sure maybe the numbers show JJJ got an open 3 with 19 seconds left in the shot clock and that goes down as a “good look” but to me that’s not a good look. That’s not what we want.
Fulky and Uros only set picks on the perimeter. Maybe it’s time for James to do the same?

Reactions: Hbg
We need some officials who continue to call fouls even if lsu already has been tagged way more. Zebras trying to even out the calls over the course of the game really plays into what lsu is trying to do

I hate that and it happens EVERY GAME. Teams might as well beat the hell out of opponents every game if the foul count is going to be evened up anyway.

Arkansas is sort of the poster child for portal guys and they are struggling this season?

Iowa State remade their team this year. Baylor and Houston has had a lot of transfers and were in Final 4. Gonzaga took the next step up with their program a few years back with transfers.

And the transfers helped Arky last year.

VN Store

Back