Really UF? [discontinues Gator Bait cheer]

bobcatgatorSophomore
Great quote from Wright:

“I’m not going for it,” said Wright, who won the Jim Thorpe Award for the nation’s best defensive back in 1996. “I created something for us. It’s a college football thing. It’s not a racist thing, It’s about us, the Gator Nation. And I’m Black."​

I keep saying this over and over, but my complaint is that....

1. Where does it stop?

2. There are actually things like this that people celebrate because some people think this will actually bring about real change.

3. Because of #2, real people who have real power that you ought to be concerned about or could help bring about real change don’t have to be accountable or do jack. They’ll just break out a new list of meaningless crap to pacify people and give them “all the feels” the next time around

It’s up to UF fans / supporters to make their opinions known to their president. My position would be: An institute of higher learning should make decisions based on facts, not emotions. If there is historical evidence that the practice was used to terrorize slaves, then present them when making the decision. It weakens legitimate concerns when you lump unsubstantiated claims with them.

bobcatgatorSophomore
Great quote from Wright:​
“I’m not going for it,” said Wright, who won the Jim Thorpe Award for the nation’s best defensive back in 1996. “I created something for us. It’s a college football thing. It’s not a racist thing, It’s about us, the Gator Nation. And I’m Black."​
White liberals will tell him to stfu

Routinely? No way. It may have happened in some freak incident that inspired some BS myth. Now posted online as part of our age of endless MISinformation. Instigated by people who want to divide the country, and sadly propagated by good natured half-informed dupes.

where are your facts?

Reactions: Smokebern20
If you don’t believe it happened, that’s fine. They didn’t have smartphones during slavery. 😂

There’s much more information out there than that one article.

Plenty of horrible things happened during slavery, but the fact slave children were far more valuable than an alligator make is unlikely. It would make absolutely zero fiscal sense. I'm sure a gator would eat my labrador retriever, but he'll also eat a piece of chicken.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
This must be a very conflicted day for your online identity:

Lawrence Wright disagrees with ***hs' decision to drop "Gator Bait" cheer - GatorSports.com

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Sorry, those pieces of ‘evidence’ don’t fly with me. If what you posted would be accepted in a UF history thesis as evidence, that would say a lot. I am talking eye witness accounts of the practice or oral interviews with slaves who witnessed/suffered first hand.

Reactions: vols4evah
Sorry, those pieces of ‘evidence’ don’t fly with me. If what you posted would be accepted in a UF history thesis as evidence, that would say a lot. I am talking eye witness accounts of the practice or oral interviews with slaves who witnessed/suffered first hand.

If you don’t believe it, again, that’s fine.

Given what we do know about slavery, I don’t think it’s too far fetched at all.

I've never felt any ounce of sympathy for the Florida scum. But I do today. The chant is relatively new and was never intended to carry racial malice. I hope the fans keep the tradition alive. This is so sad to see

VN Store

Back