Reality check time

If they read this site not as smart as I thought they were. Nothing to be learned here that they shouldn't already be aware of.
Exactly. Given the huge demands on their time, if they spent one nanosecond reading fan boards it's too much. These kids are savvy, have been in the spotlight a long time. They know better than to go fishing for insults. Even more, they just don't care what we think.
I would agree that those social media forums are the relevant ones. Fan forums are the domain of cultural dinosaurs. And let's not bring up extinction okay? I have enough to worry about.....
That's the other thing. I'd be surprised if my kids had a clue how to find and register on an old school fan board. They haven't done facebook in several years. All twitter, instagram, snap chat, etc. If players insist on dipping into the cesspool of fan opinion, I'm sure its on those sites.

Pretty sure they're OK without all the valuable pointers they could get here too.

I doubt that the players pay much attention to this forum but if they do......

If you dream of playing professional basketball, I hope you realize your dream.
If the realist in you says that isn’t going to happen (or if playing professional doesn’t interest you),I hope you are making plans for another life after college that will make you happy for a lifetime.
Also, don’t pay to much attention, if any, to people on a forum.

Okay, that is the only advice I am giving to any college athlete.

the LVs have a staff member who monitors social media and KJH was a driver of an electric motorcar for several episodes in the summer designed for social media.

However, I have read an article, quasi-survey, of the influence on football players deciding to attend a college based primarily on the # and frequency of various social media contacts. And an ESPN article on a NFL coach who broke team meetings at 30 minutes so the players (making between $60k and $10 million could access their social media. And of course, we older folks know associates who believe that facebook friends are actually friends.

Thus as an older fan, described by one poster in the catagory of snowflakes, but one who was a paying fan before the first title and onward I appreciate the thoughtful quality of responses of the regulars , coupled with realistic assessments. And I live my life not taking most things I cannot change too seriously including my comments actually impacting a team's play.

Reactions: T_Vol376
If players and/or coaches are reading this forum the program is in worse shape than any if us could imagine.

If they read this site not as smart as I thought they were. Nothing to be learned here that they shouldn't already be aware of.

I doubt that the players pay much attention to this forum ...

I would agree that those social media forums are the relevant ones. Fan forums are the domain of cultural dinosaurs. And let's not bring up extinction okay? I have enough to worry about.....

This puts it into perspective for me...
mtv, you call this site a dinosaur then write a book for your OP??
Maybe you should take over the Game threads too...Seems I am putting time and energy into an archaic internet social media.
Your turn

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
This puts it into perspective for me...
mtv, you call this site a dinosaur then write a book for your OP??
Maybe you should take over the Game threads too...Seems I am putting time and energy into an archaic internet social media.
Your turn

Ya'll done went and hurt his feelings. Way to go guys... :mad:

Reactions: T_Vol376 and glv98
Ya'll done went and hurt his feelings. Way to go guys... :mad:

Not hurt, just seemingly doing a lot of work for game posts in an environment that is yesterday....better to put my time into coaching again

and surprisingly, you're not among the ones who opened my eyes
I figured you would bandwagon

Not hurt, just seemingly doing a lot of work for game posts in an environment that is yesterday....
Oh I believe in yesterday!

Cmon, lighten up. It's all in fun, nothing wrong with doing something old fashioned. Some of that stuff was actually good. Just cause we self own as being a little archaic shouldn't spoil the fun.

I will wade in one last time. The argument that Gen. Z (kids born after 1996 i.e. today's college age student) typically don't interact with "old school" message boards is well documented by those who monitor consumer media habits.

Gen Z gravitates toward visual forms like Snap chat, TIk Tok, Instagram stories and all kinds of new, visually-oriented messaging apps (e.g., WhatsApp), plus streaming services (and somewhat surprisingly Youtube). Twitter is huge.

Facebook is at best seen a supplemental resource for study groups etc. or to connect with parents rather than a primary expressive medium. Message boards, not so much.

Having said that, the LV team could be an exception. It is possible that they come to this board because they view it as a a valuable source of sage advice, guidance, technical tips, life wisdom, and inspiration.

It is possible; there is some percentage of chance this board could have that effect.

Okay, all friends again?

Last edited:
I will wade in one last time. The argument that Gen. Z (kids born after 1996 i.e. today's college age student) typically don't interact with "old school" message boards is well documented by those who monitor consumer media habits.

Gen Z gravitates toward visual forms like Snap chat, TIk Tok, Instagram stories and all kinds of new, visually-oriented messaging apps (e.g., WhatsApp), plus streaming services (and somewhat surprisingly Youtube). Twitter is huge.

Facebook is at best seen a supplemental resource for study groups etc. or to connect with parents rather than a primary expressive medium. Message boards, not so much.

Having said that, the LV team could be an exception. It is possible that they come to this board because they view it as a a valuable source of sage advice, guidance, technical tips, life wisdom, and inspiration.

It is possible; there is some percentage of chance this board could have that effect.

Okay, all friends again?

After blatant patronizing?

"...It is possible that they come to this board because they view it as a a valuable source of sage advice, guidance, technical tips, life wisdom, and inspiration.

Okay, all friends again?"

This makes me even more certain that I should move over and let you shine (At least glv was sincere)

Last edited:
After blatant patronizing?

"...It is possible that they come to this board because they view it as a a valuable source of sage advice, guidance, technical tips, life wisdom, and inspiration.

Okay, all friends again?"

This makes me even more certain that I should move over and let you shine (At least glv was sincere)

Okay, more sincerely. I am not looking to shine, CJ.

I come to this board because I have been a LV fan since my UG days at UT and I am happily married to a former LV (from another sport). I like posting here because I enjoying discussing b-ball, sports, and interacting with other followers of the program. Most of all, I most enjoying sharing the moment with LV fans when things go well. I live far from Tennessee, so I have to rely on these web-mediated interactions to gain the social experience of fandom.

As I have said before, you are entitled to your dreams, beliefs, and fantasies about virtually coaching "your team" through this board, "not letting let downs happen on your watch" and believing that LV players study this board for the wisdom you displense and then some how even deduce who you are and look for your supportive glances in the stands during games.

Yes, I am way skeptical of that claim but hey there is some chance that it is actually happening.

If so, you should know that fact with confidence and certainty and have mucho confirmatory evidence such as players showering you in thankful text messages and giving you after the game high fives and hugs in appreciation for how much you have helped them. Maybe even some shoutouts to Coach Jumper on their Instagram pages and so on.

If "finding out" that Gen Z, in general, pays way more attention to Instagram and Twitter than old school fan boards has busted your "bubble," well that was one fragile bubble and probably one that really needed to be popped.

Welcome back to reality but your self-pitying act ain't a good look for an "alpha male" coach.

If you have the coaching acumen you claim, heck yeah it would be better spent actually coaching youth players and conversely, using this board, like the rest of us, as fans and supporters of the program.

You took over the game thread tradition from a board member who was a very well liked and valued contributor to this board and who sadly died after a long bout with cancer.

You should be proud of carrying on this legacy, which has a lot of currency among the regulars of this board.

The fact that you are not, well think about that...

Last edited:

I come to this board because I have been a LV fan since my UG days at UT and I am happily married to a former LV (from another sport). I like posting here because I enjoying discussing b-ball, sports, and interacting with other followers of the program. Most of all, I most enjoying sharing the moment with LV fans when things go well. I live far from Tennessee, so I have to rely on these web-mediated interactions to gain the social experience of fandom.

As I have said before, you are entitled to your dreams, beliefs, and fantasies about virtually coaching "your team" through this board, "not letting let downs happen on your watch" and believing that LV players study this board for the wisdom you displense and then some how even deduce who you are and look for your supportive glances in the stands during games.

Yes, I am way skeptical of that claim but hey there is some chance that it is actually happening.

If so, you should know that fact with confidence and certainty and have mucho confirmatory evidence such as players showering you in thankful text messages and giving you after the game high fives and hugs in appreciation for how much you have helped them. Maybe even some shoutouts to Coach Jumper on their Instagram pages and so on.

If "finding out" that Gen Z, in general, pays way more attention to Instagram and Twitter than old school fan boards has busted your "bubble," well that was one fragile bubble and probably one that really needed to be popped.

Welcome back to reality but your self-pitying act ain't a good look for an "alpha male" coach.

If you have the coaching acumen you claim, heck yeah it would be better spent actually coaching youth players and conversely, using this board, like the rest of us, as fans and supporters of the program.

You took over the game thread tradition from a board member who was a very well liked and valued contributor to this board and who sadly died after a long bout with cancer.

You should be proud of carrying on this legacy, which has a lot of currency among the regulars of this board.

The only problem I have is that I have been giving out all this expert advice and if the players were reading this board they should be undefeated by now. I and others tell them exactly what they need to do and how to do it but they don't seem to be paying attention. That is the reason I doubt they are viewing much that goes on here so much knowledge to be gained and yet they seem to be letting it all pass them by.

Last edited:
I hope so and that is a very acceptable season considering what we lost and the youth of three of the starting five.

22-7 seems feasible and that would be good first season under the new staff. I think the most important thing is that the team finds a way to make it to the round of 16.

That would strongly signal the program is tracking in the right direction and it would be a boon for recruiting.

22-7 seems feasible and that would be good first season under the new staff. I think the most important thing is that the team finds a way to make it to the round of 16.

That would strongly signal the program is tracking in the right direction and it would be a boon for recruiting.

For this season only, I would actually be somewhat satisfied if we won our first game in the NCAA. (I said satisfied, not happy) I think I’d be deliriously happy if we’re able to reach the round of 16. That was my pre-season best-case scenario, even WITH Zaay, so if this group were to get two Tourney wins, there would be a celebration at my house, for sure.

I LOVE THIS TEAM! The way they keep plugging away and giving their all is incredibly touching to me.

And yes, last game they came out very sluggish and it set them back for the entire game. But I really believe the draining events of the two weeks prior finally took a toll on the kids, and for that game they simply didn’t have it. I know they are working their tails off every day, and I’m so proud of all of them. :D

For this season only, I would actually be somewhat satisfied if we won our first game in the NCAA. (I said satisfied, not happy) I think I’d be deliriously happy if we’re able to reach the round of 16. That was my pre-season best-case scenario, even WITH Zaay, so if this group were to get two Tourney wins, there would be a celebration at my house, for sure.

I LOVE THIS TEAM! The way they keep plugging away and giving their all is incredibly touching to me.

And yes, last game they came out very sluggish and it set them back for the entire game. But I really believe the draining events of the two weeks prior finally took a toll on the kids, and for that game they simply didn’t have it. I know they are working their tails off every day, and I’m so proud of all of them. :D
You don't want to be an 8 or 9 seed JMO hopefully something like a six at least a 7 that 8 or 9 spot is a death trap. You have a far better shot at a two or three seed than that number 1. One reason a game like tonight is so huge is that it propels you out of that dreaded 8-9 game that is the worst draw in the tourney other than maybe 16.

Last edited:
Me too. Win 20 reg season; win 2 sec and 1 ncaa and I'd consider it a very successful first year for KJH and see things as trending the right direction. Especially after the loss of a starter and added to how well KJH has handled everything off court, the team culture, mindset, general enjoyment.

A trip to the Sweet 16 would be fantastic and IMO quite a feather in the KJH cap, especially bookended with the Cinderella run to the 16 her last Mo St team had. She certainly will have surpassed my greatest expectation for her abilities when she was hired here.

Who do you think it was defending this site? ? I don't like fighting with words. I prefer the other method. I prefer my battles to be on the court or in the yard. I guess I just had enough of being attacked every time I posted something. And I never post a score for the Lady Vols to be a loser. I guess that's looked upon as a weakness. . Anyway, It's your stage right now. Break a leg.

Who do you think it was defending this site? ? I don't like fighting with words. I prefer the other method. I prefer my battles to be on the court or in the yard. I guess I just had enough of being attacked every time I posted something. And I never post a score for the Lady Vols to be a loser. I guess that's looked upon as a weakness. . Anyway, It's your stage right now. Break a leg.

I truly don't know what you mean by this post. Defending this site????? Whatever, do what you gotta do.

VN Store

Back