Real possibility Trey Smith returns

I can't see any NFL team risking a 1st rd pick on him. Those are too valuable to see them go "poof" in the midst of one doctor visit that could occur any time. They'll want to see him be able to fully practice and survive a full yr. The question is does Trey go into the draft accepting that but not risking a setback? That's his quandry

Exactly where my head is as well.

After 3 years on the gridiron on The Hill, I wonder if we'll have the usual contingent of VN posters during this off season predicting Trey will never play another down of football because their second cousin twice removed had blood clots and they know all about them and their doctor said Trey will never play again.

If he comes back he runs through the T 4 years y'all, get over it.

Our VN team of kneejerk physicians and life coaches are waiting quietly in the bushes. Believe me!

Reactions: tbh and TJSVOLS
I’d say the only reason he returns is if the NFL scouts want to see if the blood clots return.
That's not how this works that's not how any of this works... Scouts don't determine that.
NFL scouts and study of a player are one part of a pro assessment for their playing ability and he is a top 5 in that regard.
Medical Staff then comes in with a medical eval. on the surface ( which they have info on now re his clot issues) then more in depth pre draft/signing. This is where Trey has been dinged severely most likely. Then you have the Coaches/Front office input depending on organization.
Coaches determine how/where a player could be utilized and does he fit your scheme (unless you are in Cowboys org then omit this step and skip to the next).
Front office takes all the previous info into account and pairs it with background (friends, high school and college coaches, legal issues), interview answers, Wonderlic, etc...
ALL of this is mashed up into a grade of where each player falls based on need of org and input of staff and a decision is made by a GM, director of Player Personnel, or Owner.
For the purpose of this diatribe (sorry) lets assume Trey gets an A at top 5 grade of talent, Medical D 6th round due to uncertainty of continued service, and A 1rst round grade for his character, study habits, intellect, etc... the only conclusion would be that medical says if he can show two years of "practice" and playing at the SEC level some of the medical risk is mitigated and his grade goes from D to B+ and would go from a 3-4th round 2020 to a 2021 top 20 1rst round.
As is the case with Tua the only thing that would keep him from going top 5 is his medical history.

He can't really practice regularly. I said this a month ago, that this one fact will severely impact his marketability. I hate it for him, but will be happy to have him back.
You summed up more succinctly what I said above except the "regular hard practice" at the NFL level is fairly non existent after Rookie Camp and preseason camp. If Trey gets through those with no issues then regular season practice is more like hard walkthroughs.

I still think that the Owners, GM's and HC's in the NFL will want to see another year of him playing AND practicing daily before they risk several Million $$$ on him.

Not being able to practice and get better in the NFL really IS a bigger deal than in college.

Whatever happens I wish him all the best!

VFL...GBO!!!

Yep. There won't be any special arrangements in the NFL. No practice, no play--is what I've heard forever.

I still think that the Owners, GM's and HC's in the NFL will want to see another year of him playing AND practicing daily before they risk several Million $$$ on him.

Not being able to practice and get better in the NFL really IS a bigger deal than in college.

VFL...GBO!!!

I think this makes more sense than anything. To make sure there is a proven way to treat his illness that doesn't effect his playing time and playing for 2 years without any problems would do it.

After reading recently that what was thought to be the second blood clots may have been scar tissue from the first PE then maybe that changes everything. IDK. I had ask a QUALIFIED medical person (preferably a doctor) to expound for us on the issue of scarring and its dangers as well. But no one really responded. My only knowledge of PE's is when I experienced them 7 years ago. Dealt with them for a year on blood thinners and haven't had an issue since (that I know of). The one obvious thing with Trey was the incredible seriousness of the first clots. Anyone who felt he definitely had a clean pathway back to playing once he was diagnosed just doesn't understand the full ramifications of PE's. So thankful for Trey it worked well this year and see no reason he cant continue on this regiment if he choses.

Everybody saying that he needs to get paid and go now are missing what I posted in the previous Trey Smith thread. There is a $9M difference between 1st and going into the 2nd/3rd. There is typically only 1 OG that goes in the first round. More OTs get drafted in the first. His draft grades are still #4 OG or lower. If he is smart he comes back and clears up doubt and gets into the first round. HUGE difference in money. HUGE!

After reading recently that what was thought to be the second blood clots may have been scar tissue from the first PE then maybe that changes everything. IDK. I had ask a QUALIFIED medical person (preferably a doctor) to expound for us on the issue of scarring and its dangers as well. But no one really responded. My only knowledge of PE's is when I experienced them 7 years ago. Dealt with them for a year on blood thinners and haven't had an issue since (that I know of). The one obvious thing with Trey was the incredible seriousness of the first clots. Anyone who felt he definitely had a clean pathway back to playing once he was diagnosed just doesn't understand the full ramifications of PE's. So thankful for Trey it worked well this year and see no reason he cant continue on this regiment if he choses.
And anyone ( there were many) that said he won’t ever and can not play again don’t understand where there is a will there is SOMETIMES a way to safely participate. I was challenged by some when I said there is a lot of evidence showing elite level contact sports athletes have had blood thinner/ blood clot /pe/dvt issues that have addressed them appropriately and gone on to have successful careers. Many of my examples were hockey players but they insisted I didn’t understand and trey was done. They were wrong. I hope Trey and his family is able to make the right decision for them and he will always be a VFL to me.

Reactions: Remy
Exactly where my head is as well.

After 3 years on the gridiron on The Hill, I wonder if we'll have the usual contingent of VN posters during this off season predicting Trey will never play another down of football because their second cousin twice removed had blood clots and they know all about them and their doctor said Trey will never play again.

If he comes back he runs through the T 4 years y'all, get over it.
HE has done well and bucked the odds. HE gets all the credit...not message board posters calling out other message board poster with real life experience concerning blood clot conditions. Take a bow if you like, Remy. Just off to the side so you don’t block Trey who did the real showing.

VFL...GBO!!!
It’d be no different than the clowns they throw crazy money at now, with off field issues or guys that you just know are gonna be a bust. Only difference is they’d be giving it to a stand up kid who’d give everything he has and probably keep his nose clean doing it.
GBO!!

Our VN team of kneejerk physicians and life coaches are waiting quietly in the bushes. Believe me!
I didn’t read anyone who wasn’t an actual physician claiming otherwise. The qualified posters joined in with those experienced in dealing with blood clotting conditions in expressing skepticism that he’d be able to continue his career. The first occurrence didn’t have me proclaiming such...but the recurrence in less than a year did. That you and Remy got all butthurt for those opinions doesn’t change that my late wife had to regulate her medicine from diagnosis to the end and that my now wife always has this reality affecting travel plans and regular day living. So this “knee jerk” dude already pissed on your bushes...get over yourself.

It’d be no different than the clowns they throw crazy money at now, with off field issues or guys that you just know are gonna be a bust. Only difference is they’d be giving it to a stand up kid who’d give everything he has and probably keep his nose clean doing it.
GBO!!
Barnwell: 31 events that led to the Patriots' shocking playoff exit

Belichick traded down again with the Titans, who drafted Taywan Taylor, and then used Tennessee's selection on defensive end Derek Rivers, who has played 78 defensive snaps over three seasons with the Pats. Two picks later, Belichick traded up with the Lions to draft tackle Antonio Garcia, who missed all of his rookie season with blood clots in his lungs before being cut without ever playing in the NFL.
League takes notes.

Reactions: tbones0711
Everybody saying that he needs to get paid and go now are missing what I posted in the previous Trey Smith thread. There is a $9M difference between 1st and going into the 2nd/3rd. There is typically only 1 OG that goes in the first round. More OTs get drafted in the first. His draft grades are still #4 OG or lower. If he is smart he comes back and clears up doubt and gets into the first round. HUGE difference in money. HUGE!

Or he comes back, the clots return and he's never made a dime for playing football. 2nd rounders get a floor of a 1.4 million dollar signing bonus and a floor of a 4.5 million dollar contract. 3rd rounders are looking at guaranteed money of at least 2 million dollars themselves. That is life changing money that he could be risking by returning. It also starts his clock on the pension plan faster. He just needs 3 years active or on IR to get on the plan. So his gain by leaving is guaranteeing that with smart investment he never has to work again and starting a year closer to a lifetime of retirement pay and insurance. His gain by coming back is that he maybe makes more money on his first contract with no idea if he'll be healthy at this time next year. For me, that's too big a risk to give up 2nd or 3rd round money and start the clock on your second contract and take a step towards the pension plan.

Reactions: vettefool
Tough time of year, and tough decision for Trey. Trey coming back would be a huge boost for the team. I don't the insight that Trey and his family have on the situation to make a prediction. Gotta go with your heart and hope for the best. Best of luck no matter the choice. GBO!

VN Store

Back