Re-do on blown game

Without a doubt the LSU SEC championship game.
I was there with my soon to be now current wife. Our DL chased their QB all night/every down and that lucky *** not only miraculously avoided sack after sack but completed passes. We had the much better team.

Yeah. I’m sure this will be a top choice because we would have headed to the rose bowl but that Miami team was very good. What if we got blown out? What that still be better that beating Michigan bad in the citrus?
Some consider 2001 Miami to be the best CFB team in history. The only thing that kept them from obliterating everyone was that they were coached by Larry Coker.

I was there with my soon to be now current wife. Our DL chased their QB all night/every down and that lucky *** not only miraculously avoided sack after sack but completed passes. We had the much better team.
You left out the fact that we had John Chavis as our DC. That was the equalizing factor.

Yeah his knee was banged up but our run game was stuffed all night and Neb's offense completely wore out our D. It was a slaughter in the 2nd half. With Peyton at 200%--I still think we would of lost that game. They bullied us and I think the 98' team used that game for motivation the following season.
Fulmer quoted as much later saying how Nebraska physically wiped us showed what we have to do to win the big games.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC 83
There's no way that a 1 loss UT team would have got to the Sugar Bowl over a 1 loss SEC champion UF after UF beat us in Knoxville......

Florida beat Tennessee in Gainesville and was on probation for one of, if not the biggest paying players scandals in NCAA history.

Some consider 2001 Miami to be the best CFB team in history. The only thing that kept them from obliterating everyone was that they were coached by Larry Coker.

I agree they were good but the UT team in 2001 was crazy talented also. Henderson, witten, stallworth, etc. No comments on how a coach loses 2 games with that talent.

Florida beat Tennessee in Gainesville and was on probation for one of, if not the biggest paying players scandals in NCAA history.

We were talking about 1996 when UF got up 35-0 in Knoxville (same yr UT lost to Memphis) and the what-if scenario had the ref called the Memphis returner down....

UF wasnt on probation that yr since they won a natty by beating FSU in the rematch..

1990 Bama game without a doubt for me....oh yeah...1993 Bama tie (loss).....pathetic choke by Fulmer with a 2 Score lead in the 4th.....
1996 Memphis loss....
1990 Notre Dame game in Neyland...inches away from a win....

That 1990 VOL team was one of the best ever VOL teams talent-wise. Another MAJORS choke-job..

1999 Fla Why in the HECK didn't we run a bootleg with T....he'd still be running and we would've had another shot a Natty....
1999 Arkansas..... We deserved to lose....but Leonard "hands of stone" Scott drops a sure TD late...

2001 SEC Championship game.... IF only we wouldn't knocked Davey out of the game....

Oh well....that's my list...there's more....

I agree they were good but the UT team in 2001 was crazy talented also. Henderson, witten, stallworth, etc. No comments on how a coach loses 2 games with that talent.

UT got beat by an 8-4 Georgia team. Miami probably would have won by 17 minimum against UT.

Dooleys LSU game, that we lost, then won then lost.
Wyoming game let us know how far we had fallen.
There were 4 Florida games that changed everything. Gaffney no catch. Manning's senior season. Home game we lost while Butch was coach and we let their 15th string qb beat us by running the whole game
Ky loss when they moved a wide receiver to qb and we lost.
LSU SECCG. Memphis game. 1992 Bama game, 2 point play by Palmer. 1994 Bama game, Little Man Stewart was wide open in end zone for winning rd.

Great wins: 1992 Florida win, in a down pour. 2016 UGA win. Ohio State win. This year's, Auburn & Ky wins. 25 overtime wins over Arkansas, Jason Witten TD. 5 overtime win against Bama with Jason Allen deflecting game .winning TD. 2007 Ky. 5 overtime win, Dan Williams blocks kick, and Jones makes huge acrobatic TD catch.

The real shame of where our program is today is that none of these games are in the past 10-15 years, and it ain't because we've been beating up on folks.

I have sadly attended in person several that make this list:

2001 LSU SECCG is head and shoulders leader.
At LSU when Dooley had 18 players on the field for last play comes to mind.
The Hobnail boot game was a kick in the balls as I was screaming from row 47, section N, "WATCH OUT FOR THE F'ing SCREEN!"
The last play hail mary touchdown by Florida couple years ago.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I was at the embarrassing loss at Tiger High............so that's it for me!

VN Store

Back