Re-do on blown game

Yeah but come on, we were killed by UF. And our last TD was basically a garbage TD. That game wasn't nearly as close as the final score.
Oh I agree, it wasn’t as close as the score probably. But I don’t think the sugar bowl would’ve cared about that 3 months later. I think they would’ve picked us, because we would’ve probably been ranked number 3 going in and Florida would’ve probably been 4 or 5. And nobody really wanted a rematch that close together. I remember a lot of speculation then, because their was nobody else to choose and Fla basically went by default.

I still say the 1980 Ga game. 1st and goal from the 1 with less than 2 mins left and Ford fumbles. Ga wins 16-15 and wins a NC. Vols tank (losing a 2nd heartbreaker the next week to SoCal).

Everyone remembers it for Hershel coming out party but it’s still a game Vols had under control until Bates fumbles a punt in 3rd qtr.

That one was a heart breaker. I think I remember we turned it over on downs at the 1 in the first half, too. We got a safety out of it, but 7 would have been better.

In 1985 we were the best team in College Football. We would easily won a playoff. 9-1-2
UCLA, GA TECH TIES, An Early Season loss to FL @ FL...Great Season that was followed by 15 years of more Great seasons

I'm 100% on board with 2001 SECCG. 2001 SECCG cemented Nick Saban's ascent and marked the end of Tennessee's "decade of dominance." Not to mention I think Tennessee was far and away the best candidate to take on Miami that year (and Florida was #3 after us).

Beyond that, 1999 Arkansas because Tennessee would have probably had a shot at the title. 1997 Nebraska because Tennessee would have split the national title instead of Nebraska and also added a little more weight to the whole Charles Woodson fiasco.

Pardon my ignorance, but would you mind refreshing me on what happened in 97 against Nebraska? I was 11 or 12 years old at the time and do not remember.

Pardon my ignorance, but would you mind refreshing me on what happened in 97 against Nebraska? I was 11 or 12 years old at the time and do not remember.
Hung pretty close the 1st half and then got rolled in the 2nd half. TN was tired and Nebraska just wore us down completely with the option. Those mid 90's Nebraska teams were tough on both ends.

Reactions: VolinMC
We knocked Rohan Davey out of the game and still got beat by the back up.

And LaBrandon Toefield, too. We knocked their starting QB and RB off the field, and then lost to their backups (and to QB keepers combined with a lot of overpursuit. Well, that and some Tennessee players staying up late partying in Atlanta the night before).

Hung pretty close the 1st half and then got rolled in the 2nd half. TN was tired and Nebraska just wore us down completely with the option. Those mid 90's Nebraska teams were tough on both ends.

One of the most memorable moments I can remember is Chris Brown running all over Nebraska out of nowhere in 01 . I know they'd already been knocked off their horse by Oklahoma , but COLORADO?? WTF is going on ?!

One of the most memorable moments I can remember is Chris Brown running all over Nebraska out of nowhere in 01 . I know they'd already been knocked off their horse by Oklahoma , but COLORADO?? WTF is going on ?!

Purify lit up Nebraska too.

Peyton's knee was swelled up the size of a softball and he was limited. The weather stunk and they beat on him all night. I think his injury was the biggest reason we lost.

Peyton's knee was swelled up the size of a softball and he was limited. The weather stunk and they beat on him all night. I think his injury was the biggest reason we lost.
Yeah his knee was banged up but our run game was stuffed all night and Neb's offense completely wore out our D. It was a slaughter in the 2nd half. With Peyton at 200%--I still think we would of lost that game. They bullied us and I think the 98' team used that game for motivation the following season.

Reactions: alaVOL
In 1985 we were the best team in College Football. We would easily won a playoff. 9-1-2
UCLA, GA TECH TIES, An Early Season loss to FL @ FL...Great Season that was followed by 15 years of more Great seasons
Wonder how much money Cornelius Bennet got for taking Tony Robinson's knee out? That was probably the dirtiest play I have seen in my lifetime.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Reading this thread makes me think about all the games that possibly would have been different if they were played today with video review.

Florida 2000
UNC in the Music City Bowl
Tiger High 1996
UGA 1980
Bama 1988

Sure there are others but it seems that we were on the end of some very crooked officiating from time to time.

One reason I do not like Alabama. Not because they are good, but because they play by different rules than the rest of the conference. And I do understand that the conference has to protect their interest, but to the rest of us there is no credibility sometimes in the SEC.

The LSU game in Batton Ruge, where Dooley had 12 players on the field, I still haven't gotten over that loss

Y-COLLEGES-jumbo.jpg

68 Orange Bowl. Late Missed FG would have won game and made UTs case for national championship. That one still hurts

A Come Back for the Ages and this one did hurt. Karl Kremser's FG was Good as gold according to the holder Dewey SwampRat Warren.....bad call.

1990 at home against bama. We lost 9-6. Pickens dropped one wide open in the 3rd quarter across the middle. He could have skipped to the endzone. We kick a long late field goal that gets blocked and rolls to the other end of the field with a few seconds left and they kick a long field goal for the win. That one hurt. But I agree about LSU in the sec champ game in 07 game started really hurt the program.GBO!

1990 at home against bama. We lost 9-6. Pickens dropped one wide open in the 3rd quarter across the middle. He could have skipped to the endzone. We kick a long late field goal that gets blocked and rolls to the other end of the field with a few seconds left and they kick a long field goal for the win. That one hurt. But I agree about LSU in the sec champ game in 07 game started really hurt the program.GBO!
I was referring to the 01 SEC Championship, where a win sends us to NC Game. We had already beat them earlier in the season, then lost in the SEC CG. Saban went on to win the NC that next year, and we haven't been a real contender for a Natty since.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolinMC
After more thought, I have ranked the top 3 in my mind. They are almost interchangeable but ranked as winning that one game would have directly lead us to competing in the national title game, with only the third one also winning the SEC title. I ranked them by the reasonable likelihood that we could also go onto to win the title game.
1. 96 Memphis
2. 99 Arkansas
3. 01 LSU (SEC title game)

You could probably argue the order, but I think we would’ve had a good chance to beat FSU in 96 or 99, I think 01 would’ve been very tough to beat Miami. I only included games from 90s on, that we were obviously the superior team.

I gotta agree with the '01 SEC Championship game. It seemed liked things slowly started turning to the bad after that game. Plus I think it really was the game to start Sabans run.

Reactions: CMcEver

VN Store

Back