Rankings 5/9/2022

Simply put, no I did not. Sorry to disappoint.
Generally, this baseball forum tends to shy away from speculation, especially regarding the players and staff. I’m willing to cut you some slack on this one, I get the “nB4” era of speculative social media, but we try to keep things close to the vest. There are insiders here that could ruin relationships with things they could share. 😇

Reactions: WillisWG
How did my simple thread devolve into this?
Like many here, I've posted those exact words more than once.

Two conflicting theories:
"Vol fans are too knowledgeable, too passionate, and too creative to be satisfied with a simple thread."​
"There are no simple threads--only simple posters."​

I prefer to think more highly of us, as an adult version of "Model UN" and a public caution against the deliberations of any regulatory agency in a fallen world.

But that's just me.

"Okay, so my info is a little bit round about, but let's see if Drew makes any comments about the ride home from Kentucky in the next few days. "
I was waiting for Drew to say in the interview after the game last night that he was glad he hit a homerun to get him out of trouble with Coach V. But nothing.

I heard one of the players hooked up with Stifler’s mom.
In the Kentucky game thread, someone suggested that a player can get out of a slump by hooking up with a portly female. Trying to keep it as clean as possible.

Some pretty big changes after midweek in RPI

1. Tennessee unch (beat #252 Bellarmine at home)
2. Oregon State unch (beat #82 Portland at home)
3. Dallas Baptist +3 (win over #4 Okie State)
4. Oklahoma State -1 (see above)
5. Vanderbilt -1 (beat #117 Indiana Stateat home)
6. Miami +1 (beat #89 UCF at home)
7. Virginia Tech +1 (beat #42 Liberty at home)
8. Auburn +2 (beat #90 Troy on road)
9. Georgia unch (no midweek)
10. Georgia Southern -5 (loss @ #27 GaTech)
11. Notre Dame unch (beat #164 Michigan State)
12. Louisville +1 (beat #105 Indiana
13. Florida -1 (beat #236 Bethune-=Cookman)
14. Maryland +8 (beat #44 @ Rutgers on Mon. to conclude series win)
15. Virginia -1 (beat #193 Longwood -giggity- at home)
16. LSU +1 (beat #130 SE Louisiana at home)
17. Texas -1 (beat #285 TX Southern at home)
18. Florida State +7 (2-0 @ home to #102 Jacksonville)
19. Texas A&M +5 (no midweek)
20. Wofford +1 (Beat #166 Presbyterian at home)
21. Arkansas -1 (no midweek)
22. Wake Forest +1 (beat #209 High Point at home)
23. Clemson -5 (lost to #53 Charleston at neutral)
24. Stanford +4 (beat #141 San Francisco on road)
25. Gonzaga +1 (beat #94 Washington at home)
26. Southern Miss -11 (lost to Ole Miss at home)
27. Georgia Tech +2 (beat #10 Georgia Southern at home)
28. UCSB +2 (beat #185 St Mary's at home)
29. North Carolina -2 (beat #246 Gardner-Webb and #261 Charleston Southern at home)(
30. Oregon -11 (went 1-1 at home to #171) UCSD

Big movers: Dallas Baptist will not die. They've won 6 straight with two being against #32 Oklahoma and #4 Oklahoma State. I think they finish 4-4 in Big12. The Patriots are only 9-6 in MoValley but play first place #73 Evansville at home this weekend.

the bubble teams in nation REALLY need DBU to win the Missouri Valley. They are 3 games back now. IF not, then the Missouri Valley will be a 2-3 bid leagues

Maryland pretty much sewed up the Big10's single bid.
Clemson's late season run grids to halt at MiLB park in Columbia. They will need to upset UVA this weekend in Virginia to have any chance at hosting bid

Southern Miss has really hurt their hosting chance and given Ole Miss a path to NCAA bid. They have a VERY important series vs/ UTSA this weekend that will decide the C-USA winner. With a strong showing and a series win at MTSU next weekend, the Eagles may snatch one of the important top-16 spots

Oregon will have real trouble not getting shipped east for regional play.

The SEC is really surging now after being left for dead midseason. 8 teams are pushing for hosting slots. 3 or 4 looking at possible national seeding. I see 5 or 6 hosts and 2 national seeds.

In the Kentucky game thread, someone suggested that a player can get out of a slump by hooking up with a portly female. Trying to keep it as clean as possible.
Mark Grace, former Cubs 1B, is the one who came up with that. Called them a "slump buster".

Some pretty big changes after midweek in RPI

1. Tennessee unch (beat #252 Bellarmine at home)
2. Oregon State unch (beat #82 Portland at home)
3. Dallas Baptist +3 (win over #4 Okie State)
4. Oklahoma State -1 (see above)
5. Vanderbilt -1 (beat #117 Indiana Stateat home)
6. Miami +1 (beat #89 UCF at home)
7. Virginia Tech +1 (beat #42 Liberty at home)
8. Auburn +2 (beat #90 Troy on road)
9. Georgia unch (no midweek)
10. Georgia Southern -5 (loss @ #27 GaTech)
11. Notre Dame unch (beat #164 Michigan State)
12. Louisville +1 (beat #105 Indiana
13. Florida -1 (beat #236 Bethune-=Cookman)
14. Maryland +8 (beat #44 @ Rutgers on Mon. to conclude series win)
15. Virginia -1 (beat #193 Longwood -giggity- at home)
16. LSU +1 (beat #130 SE Louisiana at home)
17. Texas -1 (beat #285 TX Southern at home)
18. Florida State +7 (2-0 @ home to #102 Jacksonville)
19. Texas A&M +5 (no midweek)
20. Wofford +1 (Beat #166 Presbyterian at home)
21. Arkansas -1 (no midweek)
22. Wake Forest +1 (beat #209 High Point at home)
23. Clemson -5 (lost to #53 Charleston at neutral)
24. Stanford +4 (beat #141 San Francisco on road)
25. Gonzaga +1 (beat #94 Washington at home)
26. Southern Miss -11 (lost to Ole Miss at home)
27. Georgia Tech +2 (beat #10 Georgia Southern at home)
28. UCSB +2 (beat #185 St Mary's at home)
29. North Carolina -2 (beat #246 Gardner-Webb and #261 Charleston Southern at home)(
30. Oregon -11 (went 1-1 at home to #171) UCSD

Big movers: Dallas Baptist will not die. They've won 6 straight with two being against #32 Oklahoma and #4 Oklahoma State. I think they finish 4-4 in Big12. The Patriots are only 9-6 in MoValley but play first place #73 Evansville at home this weekend.

the bubble teams in nation REALLY need DBU to win the Missouri Valley. They are 3 games back now. IF not, then the Missouri Valley will be a 2-3 bid leagues

Maryland pretty much sewed up the Big10's single bid.
Clemson's late season run grids to halt at MiLB park in Columbia. They will need to upset UVA this weekend in Virginia to have any chance at hosting bid

Southern Miss has really hurt their hosting chance and given Ole Miss a path to NCAA bid. They have a VERY important series vs/ UTSA this weekend that will decide the C-USA winner. With a strong showing and a series win at MTSU next weekend, the Eagles may snatch one of the important top-16 spots

Oregon will have real trouble not getting shipped east for regional play.

The SEC is really surging now after being left for dead midseason. 8 teams are pushing for hosting slots. 3 or 4 looking at possible national seeding. I see 5 or 6 hosts and 2 national seeds.

Few takeaways from your post. OSU sure got a LOT of love from pollsters last week after their sweep of Oregon. Seems like maybe that was an overrated series. I would love to see southern miss as our 1/16 matchup in super regionals.

Well, this weekend Oregon State lost their series to Arizona. Arkansas lost their series to Vandy. Oklahoma State was swept by Texas Tech and they lost their midweek to Dallas Baptist.

I suspect one of the polls/rankings will leave Beavers at #1 for clicks. Justify because they lost a road series
Tennessee losing its series at Kentucky was what dropped UT in some polls and had the Beavers take that spot in those polls. I’m guessing the Beavers will drop in the polls that had them first.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’d be shocked if we didn’t go back to unanimous….but they got to get those clicks

My thoughts. Controversy courts clicks.
They can argue a road series loss at Arizona is better than a 2/3 home series win.
The top contender is obviously Baseball America but their podcast from last week really backs them into a corner if they don't go with Tennessee this week

This is all moot of course, I still hope Oregon State has a phenomenal last 14 days and gets to #1 as Tennessee rests people .

“…one of the polls/rankings”? 😎

I consider polls and rankings slightly different.
If it's several guys sitting around and working on a list together, then that's ranks.
If it's a group of people submitting ballots that are then counted; then those are polls

D1, Baseball America, Perfect Game, Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game are Rankings
NCBWA and the USA Today/Coaches are polls

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I consider polls and rankings slightly different.
If it's several guys sitting around and working on a list together, then that's ranks.
If it's a group of people submitting ballots that are then counted; then those are polls

D1, Baseball America, Perfect Game, Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game are Rankings
NCBWA and the USA Today/Coaches are polls
…and RPI and ELO are mathematical models.

VN Store

Back