Rankings 5/9/2022

Baseball America can suck it
pony-suck-it.gif

So do you know for a fact that a player was NOT ALLOWED to ride the bus? I know one player made previous arrangements to go with his family after the game to a family event rather than ride the bus home. I have not heard that a player was kicked off the bus. Not saying it did not happen but have not heard that.

In HS Football and I’m sure in travel ball, these types of arrangements are made all the time, all the time! Looking for junk to complain about is over the top ridiculous.

All polls are entered after busy day on road. By the way, Hampton, Tennessee are was beautiful yesterday. Gorgeous sunny day after miserable weekend.
6 "major" polls
Three for Vols and three pro-Beaver.

Not rally upset about move to #2 in those three polls. I believe had Oregon State lost just one of the games against Oregon over the weekend, most - if not all, those polls would have kept Tennessee at #1. And it is a split for the polls that I feel hold more gravitas than others.

The polls are give most credence to (D!, Collegiate Baseball, NCBWA and Coaches poll) were split 2/2. There are- more rankings but those are rarely mentioned as well. In fact, Perfect Game is a borderline list.

The "hard number" rankings (RPI and ELO) still have Tennessee at #1.

Should the season be over; there is little doubt that Tennessee would be the #1 overall seed. Even Baseball America indicated such in yesterday's podcast. That was a good listen by the way as they sounded a lot like Ben McKee in his pods and videos.

Ben brought something up on his video that I noticed in-person as well. This may have been even more or less evident on TV.

The lighting at Kentucky Proud Park sucked. They had LED lights that could be flashed for HRs and such - similar to Vanderbilt. I noticed that all the lights were pointed nearly straight down from the poles. and I thought it was dark at light level and above. It was so dark at the field that the scoreboard screen greatly increased and decreased the ambient lights at field. I actually thought several times, some of the lights went out when all that happened was the screen went from a dark or solid blue screen to a light colored screen.
In other words, The scoreboard lights were actually brighter than that overhead LED lights.

McKeen mentioned the UK players batting averages were far higher in day games than night games.

This may not entirely explain all the Vol's batting issues - but let's face it; both teams struggled hard at the plate and the weather and lighting had to have played a part. We had too many guys batting below .200 on the weekend and we did hit better in the only whole day game- even though the weather was still poor.

The 4 that voted for OSU #1 (probably)
Tim Corbin
Mike Bianco
Dave Van Horn
Kevin O’Sullivan

None of those guys are on the panel. In fact, there is one coach for each P-5 conference. Butch Thompson is the only coach that the 2022 Vols have played I believe. There are not many coaches on the list that look to be leading NCAA tourney teams. UCSB and UCONN coaches being the exception.

Butch Thompson, Auburn.
John Anderson, Minnesota;
Josh Holliday, Oklahoma State;
Brian Green, Washington State;
Danny Hall, Georgia Tech;

Andrew Checketts, UC-Santa Barbara;
Alex Sogard, Wright State;
Jim Penders, Connecticut;
Sherman Reed, Coppin State;
Jeff Forehand, Lipscomb;
Scott Googins, Cincinnati;
Mark Martinez, San Diego State;
Jordan Bischel, Central Michigan;
Reggie Christiansen, Sacramento State;
Barry Davis, Rider;
Bill Decker, Harvard;
Billy Godwin, UNC-Greensboro;
Justin Haire, Campbell;
Fritz Hamburg, Saint Joseph's;
Charlie Hickey, Central Connecticut State;
Randy Hood, UNC-Wilmington;
Omar Johnson, Jackson State;
Ed Kahovec, Holy Cross;
Geoff Loomis, Portland;
Sean Lyons, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville;
Scott Malone, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi;
John McCormack, Florida Atlantic;
Andy Pascoe, Western Illinois;
Tommy Raffo, Arkansas State;
Brian Schmack, Valparaiso;
Matt Senk, Stony Brook;

Oh man, you and I both know you can’t share more details on the first note, but I’d certainly like to know more…
Okay, so my info is a little bit round about, but let's see if Drew makes any comments about the ride home from Kentucky in the next few days.
And just so we are clear ... I never said he got kicked off the bus. I did hear TV did not like his attitude and I did hear that he did not ride home on the team bus.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Okay, so my info is a little bit round about, but let's see if Drew makes any comments about the ride home from Kentucky in the next few days.
And just so we are clear ... I never said he got kicked off the bus. I did hear TV did not like his attitude and I did hear that he did not ride home on the team bus.

Very interesting. I did notice moments where it appeared that DG needed to shake off the cobwebs, such as going into 3rd standing up and getting punched out, which seemed a bit out of character.

Drew was not the one who did not ride home on the bus. And you did say "Baseball players stink it up from time to time and get to find a ride home ... NOT on the Team bus. [Yep! That happened this weekend. TV did not like the attitude of one of our starting players and they did not ride home on the bus " The player that did not ride home on the bus I can't believe had any attitude problems or if it is true would surprise me greatly because he is very controlled. This is the problem with round about information. Drew did ride home on the bus so your information that he was not allowed to ride home is not true. The statements you are making are not true. There was only one player who did not ride home on the bus and it was handled well in advance of the weekend or anything that happened this weekend. It was a pre-planned family event.

Drew was not the one who did not ride home on the bus. And you did say "Baseball players stink it up from time to time and get to find a ride home ... NOT on the Team bus. [Yep! That happened this weekend. TV did not like the attitude of one of our starting players and they did not ride home on the bus " The player that did not ride home on the bus I can't believe had any attitude problems or if it is true would surprise me greatly because he is very controlled. This is the problem with round about information. Drew did ride home on the bus so your information that he was not allowed to ride home is not true. The statements you are making are not true. There was only one player who did not ride home on the bus and it was handled well in advance of the weekend or anything that happened this weekend. It was a pre-planned family event.

Well then, think we can put that to rest.

But I really believed that poster had good info, seemed legit. In a round about way.

Back tracking back flipper

Back tracking back flipper
Not in the least ... I was not on the bus and reported what I heard. I changed the wording the 2nd time around because ... people were hearing things I did not intend.
Why not just talk to Drew and get the whole story from his point of view.
Just so we are absolutely clear. I love this team. They may suffer from a big ego, but I like how they are brash. Ya gotta believe!
They believe they are good and that is a huge plus, most of the time. Go Vols. Put another tick in the win column and sweep the dogs!

Last edited:
Saw this about a “Power 5” conference
Here are the RPI ratings for the B1G
And to be honest, it’s a statistical sleight-of-hand that they’re this high
2EDE2D64-DF91-4944-A1D3-2393E214D986.jpeg
the SEC lowest team is defending national champ Miss State at 102. Higher than 8 teams in conference.

Not in the least ... I was not on the bus and reported what I heard. I changed the wording the 2nd time around because ... people were hearing things I did not intend.
Why not just talk to Drew and get the whole story from his point of view.
. . . .
I’m not clear- did you talk to Drew to get the story?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

That last sentence. We got guys on the roster from around them parts last weekend, it might not be any of them, but I have a question. What would be the consequences for the coaching staff if they left a player behind and said, “hitch a ride from Athens Ga.” They aren’t gonna do something that even resembles that! C’mon Man!

And to take it one step further…if my son comes to me and says I need a ride back to Knoxville? The least of his worries is what the Coaching Staff said because after that 4 hour drive, he’ll be glad to see Vitello again, trust me! 😛

That last sentence. We got guys on the roster from around them parts last weekend, it might not be any of them, but I have a question. What would be the consequences for the coaching staff if they left a player behind and said, “hitch a ride from Athens Ga.” They aren’t gonna do something that even resembles that! C’mon Man!
I would hope it would take more than an attitude problem for any college kid to be left in another town by a coach.

VN Store

Back