Ranking the SEC national champions of the last 30 years

Errrm...I'm thinking maybe 2018 Clemson (the true first 15-0 team) is writing this journalist a nice little love note. Heh.

I'd put the Vols at #1. But that's just me.

Go Vols!
True...
But 2019 LSU beat an even better 2019 Clemson team.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Errrm...I'm thinking maybe 2018 Clemson (the true first 15-0 team) is writing this journalist a nice little love note. Heh.

I'd put the Vols at #1. But that's just me.

Go Vols!

For SEC teams, they were the 1st 15-win team but his phrasing is bad and yeah, write him a note! He deserves it considering it happened the year prior.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
For SEC teams, they were the 1st 15-win team but his phrasing is bad and yeah, write him a note! He deserves it considering it happened the year prior.
Heh, Boca, it's more than just phrasing. Don't know if you noticed, but the writer also gave the 2015 Bama team a 15-1 record. :)

Reactions: Boca Vol
Taking off my orange tinted glasses, no way in hell would I want to play that LSU team from last year. The Bama team that destroyed ND might have given them a game.

Reactions: SpookyAction
If the 92 Vols narrowly lost to the 92 bammers then ill take the 98 vols all day.

Tee hit Peerless deep one good time and that would be the difference.

Reactions: LittleVol
That Clemson team wasn’t better than the year before
Oh yes they were too.

Its not how you start but how you finish.
Check Clemson's last 8 games of 2019.
They got on a roll and were firing on all cylinders. Defense was much better than their Championship defense of 2018.

If the 92 Vols narrowly lost to the 92 bammers then ill take the 98 vols all day.

Tee hit Peerless deep one good time and that would be the difference.

Tee Martin
Peerless Price
Travis Stephens were a 3 headed monster that could break almost any college defense down.

1998 UT beats 1997 Nebraska if they play imo.

Yes...Peyton should have sat the game as he wasnt 100 percent. Godbless him. But he deserved the chance to try and will his team to beat them. We all saw how T Martin drove right down the field on Nebraska. UT defense held that Husker option attack for a whole half, but Offense gave nothing...stalled drives or turnovers. Needed a different approach. But that's who we were in 1997.

1998 UT didn't destroy a lot of teams. But they beat everybody they played. Very similar to 2002 Ohio State with Gamble, Jenkins, Clarret and Krenzel.

Do you really think Wayne Madkin and the MSU Bulldogs were only 3 points worse than Peter Warrick and FSU Seminoles?? Lookat scores we beat them both by you would guess that...
FSU beats them 50-10 if they play...with rooster at QB.

UT had equal to if not MORE talent than 1998 FSU. And they had Senior leadership in all the right spots on the field.

1998 UT would have given 2019 LSU all they could handle. Al Wilson, Deon Grant, The nasty disruptive D-line and our LBs that ran like Safeties would have been tough for Burrow to deal with. Peerless couldn't be stopped as a SR. Stephens when given the carries was very similar. Nothing against Cheese Henry. Not exaggerating about this either. Running QBs gave LSU fits in 2019. When Clemson was in control it was because Lawrence was RUNNING and throwing effectively. Clemson didn't have a what UT had on 1998 defense. Tanner Muse? Would have been holding a clipboard watching Grant make interceptions.
Football game is about matchups.
1998 UT could have played with any college championship team ever...

They got the last place and first place right without a doubt, the rest could honestly be debated and debated. I don't care for 2011 or 2017 Bama, teams couldn't even win their division but they're national champs. Failed logic

I'm sorry, a team that cant beat Ole Miss (08 Gators) shouldn't be ranked ahead of an undefeated team....

Depends on how you want to look at it. Is it by accomplishment or is it by the eye test? That sort of thing.

If it’s the eye test, 1998 Tennessee isn’t the best Tennessee team from 1990-2001. If it’s by accomplishment, they are

Reactions: Capt Whiskey
Depends on how you want to look at it. Is it by accomplishment or is it by the eye test? That sort of thing.

If it’s the eye test, 1998 Tennessee isn’t the best Tennessee team from 1990-2001. If it’s by accomplishment, they are
U right. 97 was probably the best UT team in that time frame. It was one of the most talented teams in school history but they didnt accomplish what 98 did. The Nebraska & Fla games that year cloud the outlook of that season. Im not sure our 98 team could beat our 97 team.

The 2009 Bama team being that high is bewildering. I would honestly rank them last or next to last, on this list.

Last edited:
The 2009 Bama team being that high is bewildering. I wouldn’t honestly rank them last or next to last, on this list.

I think it's an issue of quality vs accomplishment. As far as team quality, the other four Bama NC teams would have dusted the '09 squad. But, in terms of accomplishment, the '09 squad was the most successful NC of the BCS era.

After doing extensive research and crunching the numbers fully here is the facts ...

#1 1998 Vols
#2-end Tossup

VN Store

Back