Ranking ACC and SEC football coaches from No. 1 Dabo Swinney to No. 28 Willie Taggart

Rising fast?? Did getting blown out by Missouri and Vandy to end the season convince you he's the right guy?

Some of the people on this board are absolutely clueless. You do realize the last 3 years with literally no S&C program made the lack of depth so much worse. Plus we had tons of injuries. It isn’t rocket science.

Some of the people on this board are absolutely clueless. You do realize the last 3 years with literally no S&C program made the lack of depth so much worse. Plus we had tons of injuries. It isn’t rocket science.

So that's a yes? Getting blown out was proof he was the right guy? Or beating Charlotte 14-3? You can make all the excuses you want, and they may even be accurate. But not sure how that proves he is the guy, it just might excuse why he didn't show it last year. But you are right, a lot of the people on this board are clueless, you are just right for a different reason than you think.

The question is, "if there were a coach draft, who would you pick?" Would you honestly pick 23 of those coaches above him?

Mullen, Saban, Dabo, Jimbo are more proven than Pruitt. They deserve to be ranked over him.

How do you rank Barry Odom over him, though? Or Dave Doeren? Or Addazio?

If you pick Dave Doeren over Pruitt, then fine. You can say Pruitt deserves to be #24. But I'm not picking Doeren over Pruitt. We don't know how good Pruitt is yet, but just based on his work as a DC and his 1 year as coach, I'd take Pruitt over Dave Doeren in a heartbeat.

If you really think he's #24, then you would pick 23 of the others above him to be our head coach. I'd probably take maybe 8 - 10 of them above him today. And there are a few others who might end up being better than him that we don't really know yet (e.g. Joe Moorhead). No way am I picking 23 of those coaches over him, though. I'd probably even take Pruitt over Muschamp (who he beaten us like 7 times in a row, but still has a pretty mediocre track record as coach).

If that's true, then you shouldn't think he's the 24th best coach on that list ;)

I want to fire the 24th best coach on that list. I don't know if he's the next Dabo or Saban, but right now, I'd easily put him above about half the names on that list.

Has he proven it yet? No. But that's a totally different question.

I think the ranking is sort of a one year performance grade. If you look at what the writer is showing he's providing his ranking that he published last year. Obviously it's his opinion but there's is some interesting movement. Stoops jumped 11 spots based on his 10 win season, Taggart fell 16 spots based on his first year at FSU. Orgeron was at 28 last year and moved up 12 spots to #16 after his 10 win season. Muschamp fell a spot for 2019; Pruitt stayed the same as last year. Fuente fell 15 spots. Moorhead and Cutcliffe were the only other 2 who stayed the same as last year. Mason moved up 5 spots for this year, presumably because of his win over Pruitt. Even the writer notes you're not supposed to lose to Vandy.. If Pruitt had won that game he could be up to maybe 19 this year. :)

I think Pruitt is a great coach.When he first arrived on rockytop, he asked a great question.Where are all the big guys? The people who rated him 12th in the SEC did not take into account what sargeant Carter light,left here for him.The way I see it,no one should be rated by the players he inherits.Of course they do it anyway.

Attachments

• 20190504_160657-picsay.jpg
    20190504_160657-picsay.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Behr
I don't have many issues with the rankings (including Pruitts ranking) but Mullen over Kirby and Jimbo is ridiculous.
We will see. Hoped we would hire him after butch. I guess he thought fla. was a better job plus more $. The future will tell who was the better choice.

I always used Bear Bryant’s statement of “he can take his’n and beat your’n or take your’n and beat his’n” as the true measure of a coach.

It’s why I don’t bow down to Steve Kerr or Phil Jackson as basketball coaching geniuses.

There are a lot of people like Pat Dye who won a lot of games that I never thought highly of as a coach.

I won’t say Pruitt is a bad head coach. He didn’t have anything to work with. But, I feel like it’s safe to say that he’s not some sort of football savant that’s going to reinvent the wheel and change the game.

Last edited:
Ranking Dabo and Saban is easy. Their body of work says it all. Arguing over Pruitt's ranking is silly, IMO, because he has 1 year under his belt. Where he ranks, who cares? He's UT's coach!

Year 2 will be very interesting.
I believe we will be much improved and CJP will have a MUCH better year than year 1.
He better or the legions of the miserable will come calling...No excuses for not being improved this season and if he can't at least show that then he is doomed to become the next coach on the hot seat at Tennessee...Still not sold on him but I am hoping he proves me wrong.

The most positive take away(IMO) from the end of last season through where we are now in the second week of May is that Pruitt has acknowledged that he can be more effective as a CEO and delegate authority by hiring smart, proven people. Most highly successful people surround themselves with people who are as smart or smarter than themselves. Dabo is the perfect example of this with his staff. Seems to be working. Even Orgeron is showing that he has improved by evolving and trusting his coaches.

Reactions: NC_Orange
The above posts got me thinking. If you could bring Saban and his staff (at his current age) or Dabo and his staff at his current age, which would you want? I'm picking Dabo and staff because of age. I have no doubt about Saban being the best I have seen, but Bud Wilkinson's record at Oklahoma is pretty impressive for those years and ways of winning championships, so previous generations had some great coaches but had to win championships different than today.

I hope Pruitt sees this and uses it as motivation for 2019. He is clearly ranked too low but until he had a winning season I think 18-20 is about right for now. Some are grossly overrated such as Gus and some of the coaches for lesser ACC programs that nobody really cares about. As much as I love Cutt for his time at TN I think Pruitt has greater overall potential for the next 5 years.

Mullen, Smart, Gus, Stoops, Muschamp are rated way too high. Half of the ACC coaches, namely the no names we’ve never heard of from lesser programs are way too high. Probably only 3-4 top coaches in ACC. Sorry. This article is just wrong. Not so much for Pruitts rating (should be maybe 5 slots higher) but rather seeing all those clowns in top 15).

Dabo is #2 until Saban retires. Its not even debatable. There are good arguments that Pruitt should be lower on this list.
Really? Sabans had the top recruiting classes for 11 yrs now. Dabo is seeking his st or 2nd top 5 yet he has 2 nattys and lost 1.
Bama is a shingle school. Clemson is not.

GTFO

Really? Sabans had the top recruiting classes for 11 yrs now. Dabo is seeking his st or 2nd top 5 yet he has 2 nattys and lost 1.
Bama is a shingle school. Clemson is not.

GTFO

Who has more rings? Wins? Which coach is the unquestioned GOAT? Sabans record, especially against the top competition speaks for itself. Dabo plays in a conference that all but guarantees double digit wins. What Saban has done is unreal. GTFO indeed. Dabo is in second place and will be for quite sometime.

The above posts got me thinking. If you could bring Saban and his staff (at his current age) or Dabo and his staff at his current age, which would you want? I'm picking Dabo and staff because of age. I have no doubt about Saban being the best I have seen, but Bud Wilkinson's record at Oklahoma is pretty impressive for those years and ways of winning championships, so previous generations had some great coaches but had to win championships different than today.

Wilkinson wasnt under any scholarship limits.

Wouldn’t quite call it hilarious. He’s beaten him 2 out of 3 times in the national title game straight up, and had him on the ropes in a third game.

If it were me, I’d have had Saban #1 as well, but the case can be made for Dabo right now. Dude is 116-30 at Clemson and won 2 of the last 3 national titles.

Those are all solid facts but Saban has been at another level for so long. Dabo is the only one that has finally caught up to him which is only of recent years.

Saban doesn’t lose many regular season games that he shouldn’t. Ever . Every time they lose it’s taken a freak performance or play to take them down. South Carolina, Auburn a few times, Johnny Football aTm, LSU’s defense, turning the ball over 5 times to Ole Miss. it just doesn’t happen and in most cases no one ever come close. Clemson and Dabo have repeatedly escaped the Syracuse’s, NC State’s of the world . Clemson is at all time high while the ACC Atlantic is garbage with FSU terrible, plus the Coastal is just a bunch of 7-8 win teams that are wildly inconsistent with VPI and Miami not living up their end of the bargain. Pitt sucked and won the division last year. Saban 1 Dabo 1A.

Dabo being ranked #1 means a bunch of angry bama fans. I'm good with the ranking.

Saban is #1 and it's not even close. Its program takes a dump on Dabo's. If Clemson played in the SEC then they wouldn't need slides in the football complex. Wouldn't be any time to use it. Also look for Pruitt to shoot up this list come fall.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Once you can get past everyone's blind, homer-istic defense of Pruitt, the article brings up some interesting points.
1. I forgot the skull dragging South Carolina took from Virgina in their bowl. Maybe sometimes missing a bowl game isn't the worst outcome. They've got Alabama and the Aggies as their Western opponents this year. Good luck with that.
2. Has any team, ever, benefitted from changing conferences more than Texas A&M?
3. If Barry Odom can somehow keep steadily improving this year with Kelly, Missouri may actually be on the verge of building a sustainable/respectable program (even if they do not fit in the SEC whatsoever, imo). They get Ole Miss and Arkansas so that'll help.

VN Store

Back