Randy Smith: An Open Letter to Butch Jones

Kinda like the respect he was shown while he was here? You know, looking at it from his perspective and all.

Gimme a break.

Not only was Jones well compensated for his time here, he got more than enough rope from fans.

And he hung himself with it with a string of bad losses, asinine catch phrases and excuses, and led up to a finale of the worst season in the programs history.

If Jones felt a lack of respect from Vol Nation, be should have started to correct it by looking in the mirror.

Gimme a break.

Not only was Jones well compensated for his time here, he got more than enough rope from fans.

And he hung himself with it with a string of bad losses, asinine catch phrases and excuses, and led up to a finale of the worst season in the programs history.

If Jones felt a lack of respect from Vol Nation, be should have started to correct it by looking in the mirror.

I don't think he failed on purpose.

It wasn't in him to be good enough ( he didn't have sufficient football knowledge to make it in the toughest conference in football ) therefore he wasn't good enough. jmo

Reactions: Volinnooga
I don't think he failed on purpose.

It wasn't in him to be good enough ( he didn't have sufficient football knowledge to make it in the toughest conference in football ) therefore he wasn't good enough. jmo

None of these coaches fail on purpose.

The good ones figure out what they are doing wrong and adjust.

Think that's a big part of why Jones is an intern now.

Reactions: jarnol32
None of these coaches fail on purpose.

The good ones figure out what they are doing wrong and adjust.

Think that's a big part of why Jones is an intern now.

You said the good ones recognize and adjust. I said he wasn't good enough to do this. Happens to many in the coaching profession. Many try to become really good ones, only a few succeed.

We agree he didn't fail on purpose. So, he simply didn't have it in him to be a really good coach for us. We moved on, and so did he.

Reactions: Volinnooga
You said the good ones recognize and adjust. I said he wasn't good enough to do this. Happens to many in the coaching profession. Many try to become really good ones, only a few succeed.

We agree he didn't fail on purpose. He simply didn't have it in him to be a really good coach for us. We moved on, and so did he.

Yep.

And most Vol fans had moved on from him as well until he let those Bama players make a spectacle of him last Saturday.

Yep.

And most Vol fans had moved on from him as well until he let those Bama players make a spectacle of him last Saturday.

I tend to agree with @volfannbama. What is he suppose to do? He is a tide man now, building relationships with bama players and bama fan base. We told him to move on and he obliged us. We didn't want him in our culture anymore, but saban wanted him in his culture. Part of being in the saban culture now, is celebrating a victory in the tsio.

I tend to agree with @volfannbama. What is he suppose to do? He is a tide man now, building relationships with bama players and bama fan base. We told him to move on and he obliged us. We didn't want him in our culture anymore, but saban wanted him in his culture. Part of being in the saban culture now, is celebrating a victory in the tsio.

And it is appropriate to hate him now! Damn. Why is it so hard for some of y'all to understand that simply being a bammer makes you hateable? Is it a generation thing? You weren't raised with the right values? What?

And it is appropriate to hate him now! Damn. Why is it so hard for some of y'all to understand that simply being a bammer makes you hateable? Is it a generation thing? You weren't raised with the right values? What?

I'm sure you mean hate, as in, root against bama and anything associated. Not, hate as in, be evil towards a person. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I hate and am actively looking to destroy/hurt/slander etc.

But yeah, I root against anything bama. I don't want them to win. Don't want to see what we have seen since saban took over. But, the competitor in me wants UT, and everything associated, to focus on UT, be our absolute best, and take down bama fair and square. And not focus on something of little importance as Butch Jones celebrating under the saban/bama umbrella.

Reactions: T-TownVol
You really outta take a step back. Randy wrote this in the opinion section of a local outlet. He was inducted to the Tennessee Journalism Hall of Fame this summer.

His comments are every bit as worthy as yours, and he gave them without talking about other fans.

Yes, and as you say, his opinon of Randy Smith's comments are equal to that of a Hall of Fame Journalist. Pretty impressive for a board poster if you ask me.

More importantly, he was right. Randy and his HoF comments reeked of a jilted middle school girl whose boyfriend left her for her best friend. Childish and butthurt.

Reactions: T-TownVol

Real real real simple.

Show a modicum of respect for the program that gave him a shot and the players he recruited by not making a public spectacle of himself.

Almost no one would be talking about Butch if he would have kept a low profile on Saturday.

It is kind of pathetic that Jones could look to Lane Kiffin as the example of how to handle himself after a win. How many times did Kiffin get a Gatorade bath after a win over the Vols or post pics of celebrating in the locker room ?

Reactions: SmokeyLives
Look, this is not that hard.

No one blames Butch for enjoying the fruits of his contract. Out AD signed it, so Jones would be an idiot to walk away from it No question.

Butch didn't fail on purpose. He is just not a very good coach. He is an adequate salesman and marketer - to a point. But a top tier coach he ain't.

He failed. Miserably. Most folks would have some self awareness of this, examine what happened, and try and get back in their lane or alter their approach.

Finally, when an organization has been good to you, and you failed at that organization, and they are fulfilling the contract you signed with them, the last thing a man of character does is try and rub the organization's nose in the failure that man created.

Butch went to bammer. That is his right. No issue there.

If he had expressed pleasure with the win, and added some coach-speak about it being good to see some of the young men he worked with at Tennessee, wish them the best, praise their high points in the game, blah blah blah,, and acted like a professional and a mature adult, no one in here would have an issue with anything.

The gloating and posing with no self awareness or awareness of impact on the young men who trusted him or the organization which has set up his family for life is where most have an issue.

Just my .02.

Real real real simple.

Show a modicum of respect for the program that gave him a shot and the players he recruited by not making a public spectacle of himself.

Almost no one would be talking about Butch if he would have kept a low profile on Saturday.

It is kind of pathetic that Jones could look to Lane Kiffin as the example of how to handle himself after a win. How many times did Kiffin get a Gatorade bath after a win over the Vols or post pics of celebrating in the locker room ?

Kiffin left on his own. He ditched us kind of thing. Different situations.

Anyway, I see your point about keeping a low profile/trying to keep the UT fan base happy, or at peace. Yeah, be humble and meek diverting the attention elsewhere as best you can.

I also see how he is part of the bama program now and is enjoying it, and is being apart of the comraderie of that team.

It's a situation of little importance in my opinion, and therefore needs to be left alone. Butch goes his way, we go ours. No harm no foul.

I worked with Randy nearly 40 years ago @WDEF in Chattanooga. Haven't seen him in over 30 years. He's a super guy and a TRUE Vol For Life. I was glad to see an email for him at the end of the article so I could reach out and thank him for his comments, which I did..and...yes...I agree with.

NOW...The rest of you Goobers go back to your regularly scheduled "thought-bashing" ....K?

Reactions: MaTaLa and Alto1
Yep.

His name brought up an interesting opinion from a former player that has remained pretty close to the program for many years.

"He had a lot of people fooled about his character for a long time, it was more about him than it ever was about UT and the program"
This^^^
Butch DIDN'T try and fail at UT. He succeeded in rolling whatever shtick he was selling into life changing money and he gets to thumb his nose at the world.

Butch needs a bit of Instant Karma, can't do Smokey like dat

giphy.gif

I worked with Randy nearly 40 years ago @WDEF in Chattanooga. Haven't seen him in over 30 years. He's a super guy and a TRUE Vol For Life. I was glad to see an email for him at the end of the article so I could reach out and thank him for his comments, which I did..and...yes...I agree with.

NOW...The rest of you Goobers go back to your regularly scheduled "thought-bashing" ....K?

Does the Press Box come with a designated safe space for cry babies these days?

VN Store

Back