Ramone Foster blasting the "Clawfense"

I don't know that lack of respect was the issue as much as the OL struggle to learn the offense. They just needed more time. Did they get frustrated? certainly they did. Players hate losing as much as coaches and when they have trouble learning what to do to execute, it gets bad. and it did.

Heard guys in the O line group cracking jokes about Clawson during pregame warm ups one time.

Also cracking on RB coach Kurt Roper another game that year.

Think Clawson was way too cerebral for their taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: volinSmyrna
That doesn’t mean that what happened 13 years ago doesn’t hold any validity. 13 years ago that offense was maybe the worst I’ve seen as a tennessee fan. Whether that was Clawsons fault, Fulmer, the players or a combination of the three…it was terrible. So I can see why he would feel like this. And who is to say that Clawson hasn’t completely revamped his offense or if he is even calling the plays.
Clawson was asked to make lemonade out of applesauce. That’s what went wrong.

Reactions: kcvols1
The worst part about the clawfense was reading that Clay Travis book about that season.

I remember his pointing out that Dave Clawson was waiting in a long hotel line to ensure that he received his hotel loyalty points...lol

Tennessee did not run the Cutcliffe offense. They ran Clawson's offense. I bet Foster never indicated otherwise on the radio this morning..
huh? That's exactly what he did say. Said they had tons of returning talent and instead of building at what they were good.at he created a predictable offense. Also commented in the whole flipping linemen which I don't understand but Ramone wasn't happy about it.

huh? That's exactly what he did say. Said they had tons of returning talent and instead of building at what they were good.at he created a predictable offense. Also commented in the whole flipping linemen which I don't understand but Ramone wasn't happy about it.

I believe I was responding to someone that indicated Fulmer would not let Clawson run his system but ran what Fulmer wanted. Maybe I quoted the wrong post.

Flipping lineman did not make sense and Dave got away from that after leaving UT..

Clawson is playing for an ACC title and is 10-2 at Wake Forest. Guess Foster decided to come across as a fool.
Clawson was also the worst offensive coordinator in Tennessee history. So the other side of that coin is you kind of come across as a fool…

Yeah . . . Clawson's offense has worked pretty much everywhere else. I think he probably was the victim of Fulmer not wanting to completely let go of the old offense and a QB room that was flat out awful.
Bingo! Fulmer had his slimy hands all over that offense. Clawson was just the scape goat. Saban is the devil but if Fulmer had reacted to success as well as Saban has done then the last two decades might have ended up a little differently for us.

From ALL indications, Fulmer was a micro-manager (sort of like cornbread). Clawson didn't magically grow a brain in 13 years and learn how to coach. If CPF had left him alone, he may have hung onto his job for another 3-4 years. CPF's Natty is a absolute "perfect storm" in his favor when you consider the talent he had, coaching ineptitudes in the SEC, playing Miss St in the SECCG and playing Fla State (with a 3rd string QB) for the Natty? Wow. The football gods must have really loved him.

To think Clawson is the same coach today that he was 13 years ago is just dumbassedry.

From ALL indications, Fulmer was a micro-manager (sort of like cornbread). Clawson didn't magically grow a brain in 13 years and learn how to coach. If CPF had left him alone, he may have hung onto his job for another 3-4 years. CPF's Natty is a absolute "perfect storm" in his favor when you consider the talent he had, coaching ineptitudes in the SEC, playing Miss St in the SECCG and playing Fla State (with a 3rd string QB) for the Natty? Wow. The football gods must have really loved him.

Due to this dumbass take on so many levels, you are no longer entitled to an opinion.

Clawson stated a couple of years after he left UT that he tried to implement too much of his offense in the first year. Apparently it is fairly complicated and takes a while to master it. He felt pressure to turn things around fast at UT and pushed too hard too soon. As a result, it was a train wreck. He appears to be a great coach, it was just bad timing when he was our offensive coordinator.
I too heard that the players, particularly the OL, weren't getting it because of its complexity.

“That flipping olinemen was absolutely insane. I don't know how anybody thought that would be a good idea.”

Forgive my ignorance, but isn’t that what happens every college football Saturday across the country? Don’t we cross-train guards and centers to sometimes play tackle and guard and vice versa? Isn’t this type of cross-training on the offensive line common these days? Isn’t it often based on needs and matchups, injuries, etc?

What he was doing is not what happens anywhere. I can't think of anybody that has done that since he did it. He would flip his offensive line every other play. He had a "strong side" and a "quick side". Ramon has talked several times about that and always says the defense knew exactly what was coming. It's just crazy to think that somebody would think to experiment like that in the SEC. It might have been cool at Fordham and Villanova, but that kind of stuff doesn't work. Nobody else has since tried it, and Clawson himself got away from it quickly after leaving here.

This has been my big counter-argument to the "Fulmer micro-managed him" line. If Fulmer, whose history of coaching is rooted in Oline play, was micro-managing the offense, there is no way under the sun that he would have kept doing that. He let Clawson run his offense. He probably gave input as all head coaches do, but if he was micro-managing there is no way he would let that happen.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Clawson was asked to make lemonade out of applesauce. That’s what went wrong.

Clawson was given a returning 1000 yard receiver, a 1000 yard rusher, all 5 returning starting olinemen, and a 5 star QB. I would hardly call that applesauce.

VN Store

Back