Ramone Foster blasting the "Clawfense"

Clawson was hired because of his innovative offense. Fulmer realized that the days of ground and pound were waining as evidenced by the success of Urban Meyer and Chip Kelly. Clawson had an innovative offense, but at previous schools where Clawson was hired, it was year 2 under that offense before it "clicked". Fulmer tried to keep some of his offense in place to mitigate the expected transition issues. Due to the impatience of fans and the stupidity of AD Hamilton, Fulmer was fired and 15 years in the wilderness ensued. BTW, before the Clawson hire, Fulmer was running essentially the same offense as Saban. Saban didn't change offensive philosophy until Hurts became his QB. In that respect, Fulmer was more than 8 years ahead of Saban. Had we stuck with him, we most certainly would not have had the $hit-show we have experienced over the last 15 years. Fulmer haters are idiots.
“Fulmer haters are idiots”…lol Says the guy that thinks Fulmer was 8 years ahead of Saban…whats Fulmers record vs Saban? fwiw nobody hates Fulmer

I talked with John Crompton a few years ago at a football clinic and he told me - without mentioning names - against UCLA, they would receive a play call and a prominent offensive lineman would look at him repeatedly and say "Cromp, I have no idea what to do."

I have no idea if the issue was Fulmer, Clawson, or some combination, but there was way too much talent on that team to be as bad as they were

Personally don't believe the O line in particular had any respect whatsoever for Clawson based on some things I heard a few times during pregames a few times that season.

Personally don't believe the O line in particular had any respect whatsoever for Clawson based on some things I heard a few times during pregames a few times that season.
That's pretty much what Foster said. And his point is that what Clawson made them do, it cost him money by being a lower draft pick. I wouldn't respect someone either who was taking money out of my pocket. If it had been 2021 we would have lost all those guys to the portal.

That doesn’t mean that what happened 13 years ago doesn’t hold any validity. 13 years ago that offense was maybe the worst I’ve seen as a tennessee fan. Whether that was Clawsons fault, Fulmer, the players or a combination of the three…it was terrible. So I can see why he would feel like this. And who is to say that Clawson hasn’t completely revamped his offense or if he is even calling the plays.
the famous G-Gun package! lol i hated it...

Clawson was hired because of his innovative offense. Fulmer realized that the days of ground and pound were waining as evidenced by the success of Urban Meyer and Chip Kelly. Clawson had an innovative offense, but at previous schools where Clawson was hired, it was year 2 under that offense before it "clicked". Fulmer tried to keep some of his offense in place to mitigate the expected transition issues. Due to the impatience of fans and the stupidity of AD Hamilton, Fulmer was fired and 15 years in the wilderness ensued. BTW, before the Clawson hire, Fulmer was running essentially the same offense as Saban. Saban didn't change offensive philosophy until Hurts became his QB. In that respect, Fulmer was more than 8 years ahead of Saban. Had we stuck with him, we most certainly would not have had the $hit-show we have experienced over the last 15 years. Fulmer haters are idiots.
Was Clawson to blame for a team ranked in the top five nationally at the beginning of the season going 5-7 in 2005? Anyone who tries at this point to defend Fulmer, after he tanked this program not once but twice, and once very recently, is not too bright, or dishonest, or both.

Its never one thing, its a whole host of things, as it was in 08

Foster's lackluster senior year and fumbles
No good Qb in sight. The Ginger Ninja!
too many 3 and outs left a thin D on the field too long
The Fulmer Cup was in full effect!

Fulmer should be schilling non stick cookware sets on late night TV the way nothing ever sticks to him with some fans.

Fulmer sticks with Randy Sanders probably 2 to 3 years too long at a minimum. Randy catches the bulk of the criticism.

Fulmer hires Jimmy Ray Stephens to replace Marone and the O line play deteriorates. Then gets worse with Greg Adkins when he has to fire Stephens after a losing season in 2005.

Fulmer hires Clawson who apparently didn't fit what they had the personnel to run or didn't mesh with the philosophy of the head coach. Clawson still catching flack to this very day.

Fulmer oversees the biggest disaster this program has seen in years with the Pruitt hire and subsequent NCAA investigation. It is somehow a Bama conspiracy that created all the problems.

There is a common theme here and it is the guy who made bad decision upon bad decision that led to his own downfall.

That's pretty much what Foster said. And his point is that what Clawson made them do, it cost him money by being a lower draft pick. I wouldn't respect someone either who was taking money out of my pocket. If it had been 2021 we would have lost all those guys to the portal.

Ehhh....Clawson wasn't at the Combine with Foster.

That took money out of his pocket and costed him from being drafted as much as anything.

2009 NFL Combine Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

From ALL indications, Fulmer was a micro-manager (sort of like cornbread). Clawson didn't magically grow a brain in 13 years and learn how to coach. If CPF had left him alone, he may have hung onto his job for another 3-4 years. CPF's Natty is a absolute "perfect storm" in his favor when you consider the talent he had, coaching ineptitudes in the SEC, playing Miss St in the SECCG and playing Fla State (with a 3rd string QB) for the Natty? Wow. The football gods must have really loved him.

I get so sick of the "3rd string QB" statement. He wasn't 3rd string. Fla St's starting QB went down in the spring and Outzen became 2nd string at that point. Florida State had the entire season with Outzen as #2 on the depth chart. Bowden had plenty of opportunities to play Outzen when they were blowing out whoever they were beating in the ACC but chose not to. Outzen was also good enough to beat Florida that year with only a week of reps. Tennessee and Florida Sate were the only two teams to beat Florida that year so they must have been pretty good. Bowden then had a month to prepare him for the National Championship game.

If people want to use that argument then we can use we had to use our 2nd string RB when Jamal Lewis went down.

Fulmer should be schilling non stick cookware sets on late night TV the way nothing ever sticks to him with some fans.

Fulmer sticks with Randy Sanders probably 2 to 3 years too long at a minimum. Randy catches the bulk of the criticism.

Fulmer hires Jimmy Ray Stephens to replace Marone and the O line play deteriorates. Then gets worse with Greg Adkins when he has to fire Stephens after a losing season in 2005.

Fulmer hires Clawson who apparently didn't fit what they had the personnel to run or didn't mesh with the philosophy of the head coach. Clawson still catching flack to this very day.

Fulmer oversees the biggest disaster this program has seen in years with the Pruitt hire and subsequent NCAA investigation. It is somehow a Bama conspiracy that created all the problems.

There is a common theme here and it is the guy who made bad decision upon bad decision that led to his own downfall.
The only thing I can figure with the Fulmerites is that he won a title, which means any criticism is illegitimate or undeserved.

The only thing I can figure with the Fulmerites is that he won a title, which means any criticism is illegitimate or undeserved.

Same here. Have never gotten the blind worship and lack of nuance when talking about him.

I'll never denigrate or not give him credit for the title in 98 but he had ample opportunity to build up his legacy and failed repeatedly.

Same here. Have never gotten the blind worship and lack of nuance when talking about him.

I'll never denigrate or not give him credit for the title in 98 but he had ample opportunity to build up his legacy and failed repeatedly.
...and with Fulmer, there's a lot of nuance there. He had a lot of ups and a lot of downs during his time here in various capacities. It isn't like Fulmer is Nick Saban.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent

VN Store

Back