Quote from Warlick post-game

One of the criticisms of Holly is that the things she says seem detached from reality. This is an example. She's obviously not going to resign, but she also doesn't have her heart in it and doesn't appear interested in actually leading the program, so Fulmer has no choice now.
She appears to have her heart on that ~$700k yearly paycheck she gets for systematically tearing down the program CPS built up from nothing into one of the premier WCBB programs.

A coach who knows how to get the best out of Alpha Athletes
more attention and focus in skills training
Continuity in movement on offense
Time outs to interrupt momentum

Hope

Yes. Strong disciplinarian with high expectations who can get the talented athletes to restrain their egos to elevate the team. And who can understand that, by doing so, they will enhance their own skill sets. When the ball is shared, everyone gets rewarded.

A coach who emphasizes the total game. Taking charges. Eliminating mental errors (turnovers, shot clock violations, missed assignments). Rewarding the non-stat effort (setting screens, decoying, posting up, creating space, lock-down defense). Establishing a team culture and sisterhood that embraces adversity rather than wilting. Eliminating blaming others for mistakes. Setting firm rules and enforcing them.

I know this won't be a popular opinion around here, but one of the first things I'd do to establish who is boss would be to announce that the uniforms will be worn uniformly...no "rolled up" shorts (i.e., hot pants). If someone needs some tailoring done for a specific physical need, that should be approved by the coach and trainers. This team needs some immediate discipline in order to create the proper coachable attitude. If a player can't handle that, then we don't need that sort of petty grievance, because that will just be the beginning. You can't let the camel get her nose under the tent.

Parents should be encouraged to support but not coddled if they try to meddle. That needs to be shut down immediately. There are too many good players who want to play for a quality program to waste time tolerating divas, which will only undermine team chemistry.

Here's a quote I read recently in our local paper about a high school coach who is a six-time state champion. His teams have won five of the last six championships including three straight. This is coming from a graduating senior, the last of three sisters who played for him:

“I never had a coach expect such perfection,” she said. “If we were doing a drill at practice and you were supposed to be on a particular spot, he expected you to be on that spot. Not next to it or beside of it but on that spot.

“It’s the little things and his focus on the details and demanding perfection that has helped him have the success that he has had. And it’s helped me in many things I’ve dealt with and will deal with in my life."

Reactions: bobkitten and lvocd
. . . . A coach who emphasizes the total game. Taking charges. Eliminating mental errors (turnovers, shot clock violations, missed assignments). Rewarding the non-stat effort (setting screens, decoying, posting up, creating space, lock-down defense). Establishing a team culture and sisterhood that embraces adversity rather than wilting. Eliminating blaming others for mistakes. Setting firm rules and enforcing them.

And more importantly,has a plan for each of those things needing corrected

It's one thing to ask for or demand someone take a charge,,,
it is fully another to take a practice and
teach them the instinctive reactions needed to sell the charge:
  • The contact must be initiated by the offensive player
  • Upon impact you must throw your butt backwards in readiness to fall on it
  • You land in (and practice!!) buttslides
I see many players stand in the way and get there first, but their followup reactions give the impression that the feet were moving...falling into a buttslide eliminates "foot-calls" by a ref

You've got to break it down and work on it just as you do a jump shot

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
Yes. Strong disciplinarian with high expectations who can get the talented athletes to restrain their egos to elevate the team. And who can understand that, by doing so, they will enhance their own skill sets. When the ball is shared, everyone gets rewarded.

A coach who emphasizes the total game. Taking charges. Eliminating mental errors (turnovers, shot clock violations, missed assignments). Rewarding the non-stat effort (setting screens, decoying, posting up, creating space, lock-down defense). Establishing a team culture and sisterhood that embraces adversity rather than wilting. Eliminating blaming others for mistakes. Setting firm rules and enforcing them.

I know this won't be a popular opinion around here, but one of the first things I'd do to establish who is boss would be to announce that the uniforms will be worn uniformly...no "rolled up" shorts (i.e., hot pants). If someone needs some tailoring done for a specific physical need, that should be approved by the coach and trainers. This team needs some immediate discipline in order to create the proper coachable attitude. If a player can't handle that, then we don't need that sort of petty grievance, because that will just be the beginning. You can't let the camel get her nose under the tent.

Parents should be encouraged to support but not coddled if they try to meddle. That needs to be shut down immediately. There are too many good players who want to play for a quality program to waste time tolerating divas, which will only undermine team chemistry.

Here's a quote I read recently in our local paper about a high school coach who is a six-time state champion. His teams have won five of the last six championships including three straight. This is coming from a graduating senior, the last of three sisters who played for him:

“I never had a coach expect such perfection,” she said. “If we were doing a drill at practice and you were supposed to be on a particular spot, he expected you to be on that spot. Not next to it or beside of it but on that spot.

“It’s the little things and his focus on the details and demanding perfection that has helped him have the success that he has had. And it’s helped me in many things I’ve dealt with and will deal with in my life."
How do you feel about fake eyelashes and preoccupation with hairdos?

And parents who have to put their oar in?

Reactions: feathersax
How do you feel about fake eyelashes and preoccupation with hairdos?

And parents who have to put their oar in?

The parents have to keep their distance. The coach can't deny them their right to post and tweet, but they can send subtle messages that their gripes are being ignored and are counterproductive to their daughter's success. And if the team is doing well, it just makes the parents look foolish and selfish.

The hairdos and makeup are a different story. The coach can indicate her preference and the players may adjust just to please her, but we don't live in the era when Wooden could tell Walton to get his hair cut or be replaced and Bill would furiously pedal to the barbershop before practice. Someone else pointed out that athletes have flaunted individual styles for decades, so as long as it doesn't affect game preparation or team chemistry (extreme attention-getting shemes that noticeably irritate teammates), probably best to put up with it. The Bulls tolerated Rodman in all his glory.

Heck, one of my favorite NBA players, Stockton, was as straight-laced as they come but wore the short throwback shorts. I think the main thing is to determine intent to see if this stuff is all about "me" instead of "we." Sam Feuring has her tattoo sleeve, and no one seems unduly bothered.

The upshot is that a coach can put up with individual body decorations that may appear tacky to the coach but doesn't affect their play or the team's. I'd draw the limit with uniform modifications. Players already have choices of hairbands, sweatbands, arm sleeves, long and short tees under uniform, compession shorts, etc. All kinds of style accessories to choose among without altering the basic uniform. A player might say she could pkay better if she tied her top into a knot and bared her midriff, but the coach should just say, "Tough cookies...deal with it."

Same with turning shorts into diapers, briefs, or hot pants. It has no useful function and just sends the message that the player's focus is misguided...whether it's Zaay or Sophie.

One positive thing for the fans is that the individual things do help distinguish players with similar body builds from a distance...whether they're an all-black unit or a group of blonde, pale-skinned young ladies from a Dakota team. I've seen some lower-division teams with all-Caucasian girls with silmilar hairstyles and body types, and I couldn't them apart until they had closeups.

Evidently, neither could the tv announcers.

Last edited:
She is not tearing down the program for she knows she has done nothing wrong in her mind. For that, she feels she is due the $700k.

All the posts in this thread throwing shade on Coach /AD Fulmer for possibly not taking action on this Holly Warlick issue are dead wrong.He has been working on this issue ( replacement of Holly Warlick ) for sometime now and is more than prepared to name a replacement soon.He met with Holly Warlick today .I would expect an announcement about Holly deciding to step down and accept a position in AD soon.....maybe as soon as tomorrow and then the Coaching search will begin in earnest ( publically )because a good amount of work has already been done behind the scenes.

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
I know Pat Summitt really built a special program that has attracted many Vols fans to be passionate fans for the Lady Vols, but some people really need to take a step back and take a deep breath because in reality you are getting fired up about college women’s basketball. At the end of the day, it’s just college women’s basketball.
So it is ok to get bent all out of shape over a football team(I love football, by the way) that has been trash for over a decade, but not over a program with 8 national championships and was the blueprint for all successful programs, today. I support all UT athletics, not just the ones some MEN tell us we should care about. Some of us are as passionate about this as you are football.

By the way, I am in no form or fashion ripping Fulmer over this. He has been put in a bad position with this. The Lady Vols have a group of supporters that will make it hard on him, no matter how this is handled.

Last edited:
All the posts in this thread throwing shade on Coach /AD Fulmer for possibly not taking action on this Holly Warlick issue are dead wrong.He has been working on this issue ( replacement of Holly Warlick ) for sometime now and is more than prepared to name a replacement soon.He met with Holly Warlick today .I would expect an announcement about Holly deciding to step down and accept a position in AD soon.....maybe as soon as tomorrow and then the Coaching search will begin in earnest ( publically )because a good amount of work has already been done behind the scenes.

Please, please, please be correct. :)

A coach who knows how to get the best out of Alpha Athletes
more attention and focus in skills training
Continuity in movement on offense
Time outs to interrupt momentum

Hope
Again no stats!! Just what you speak. And most of that any keyboard fanatic or person who watches any basketball game can speak. No disrespect either. But I mean we do have a lot of “coaches” on volnation.

He wouldn't go home with a loss AND three time outs in his pocket.

That's a start.

That's actually basketball 101.
So you are certain with Coach Jumper we would have won? Or just that he would’ve used all his timeouts, because that is a very big difference between the two.

Again no stats!! Just what you speak. And most of that any keyboard fanatic or person who watches any basketball game can speak. No disrespect either. But I mean we do have a lot of “coaches” on volnation.

Frustrated?
yes there are a lot of coaches (without "quotes") in volnation
and there is only one me
hey,
there's a stat!

So you are certain with Coach Jumper we would have won? Or just that he would’ve used all his timeouts, because that is a very big difference between the two.

Coach Jumper would have used a timeout or two or three,,, to try to interrupt the 10-0 run in the final 3:34
I do believe it would have bettered our chances for a win...Bu's not clairvoyant,,simply knows that timeouts are used to stop runs because they more often than not, work.

Reactions: BUBear
Frustrated?
and there is only one me
hey,
there's a stat!

Coach Jumper would have used a timeout or two or three,,, to try to interrupt the 10-0 run in the final 3:34
I do believe it would have bettered our chances for a win...Bu's not clairvoyant,,simply knows that timeouts are used to stop runs because they more often than not, work.
In regards to your timeout theory, you did say more often than not, but Coach Barnes timeouts didn’t stop Iowa’s run. Heck they even took the lead. So see we can all “ Coach” other coaches or question their decisions. I’ve read a lot of your posts and you seem pretty knowledgeable of the game.

In regards to your timeout theory, you did say more often than not, but Coach Barnes timeouts didn’t stop Iowa’s run. Heck they even took the lead. So see we can all “ Coach” other coaches or question their decisions. I’ve read a lot of your posts and you seem pretty knowledgeable of the game.

Thank you

“Do I want to continue coaching? Yes," Warlick said. "But if it needs to go in a different direction, that's not up to me."
Correction to this post quote form Holly. " Warlick said. "But I need to go in a different direction, that's up to me."

Pray the rumors are true. She can retire which would keep her from meddling in new coach’s program. I would take her retirement check in a nano second. It is time Holly. Dress up. Hold a presser and retire.

Reactions: VolDave53
Frustrated?
and there is only one me
hey,
there's a stat!

I may not be clairvoyant but I did date Aunt Clara in an episode of Bewitched... that's strickly between us though.

Did I tell y'all about the time I stayed at an Holliday Inn Express???

Last edited:
Can't garuanty a win but I can garuanty you can't take them home with you. Might as well use them and try to stop the bleeding.

VN Store

Back