Question about LSU/UF game cancelation - East Coast weather [update: game cancelled]

Under NCAA regulations, a conference with 12 members may play an additional football game to determine its champion, provided the regular season is played in divisions. The participants of the game are determined each year during the eight-game regular-season conference schedule as the teams with the best overall SEC winning percentage in each division.

Championship - Football

that was me and 05 have been parsing over. The wording implies that 8 games are necessary but never explicitly states it.

However, if Florida gets off on a technicality you bet that it will cause a lot of ruffled feathers and mattress burning that the SEC will want to avoid. Not to mention the loss in revenue of not being able to show the LSU/FL game on TV.

I'm betting they will force the teams to meet.

Again, that isn't a direct quote from the NCAA or SEC rules or bylaws. I have trouble believing that the NCAA dictates 8 games when three conferences play 9.

I love how I got told this was a stupid question when I asked it on Tuesday, and now there are nearly 1000 posts talking about it.

I had a feeling this game was going to get cancelled, and lo and behold it did. I think I'll use my powers for good.

Reactions: 3 people
Under NCAA regulations, a conference with 12 members may play an additional football game to determine its champion, provided the regular season is played in divisions. The participants of the game are determined each year during the eight-game regular-season conference schedule as the teams with the best overall SEC winning percentage in each division.

Championship - Football

that was me and 05 have been parsing over. The wording implies that 8 games are necessary but never explicitly states it.

However, if Florida gets off on a technicality you bet that it will cause a lot of ruffled feathers and mattress burning that the SEC will want to avoid. Not to mention the loss in revenue of not being able to show the LSU/FL game on TV.

I'm betting they will force the teams to meet.

UF would get crushed by Alabama just like last year -- it would a ratings disaster for CBS as well --- If UT plays Bama close or even wins next week -- CBS and the SEC will make sure that UF and LSU game is made up --- UF has zero chance of staying in a game vs Alabama

I am kind of enjoying what Florida has done here, not /s.

Really shows the uselessness of the SEC. imo :hi:

It's a good thing you guys held onto South Alabama; losing a game like that is the kind of thing that can break a program.

Both teams should be awarded a loss unless game is made up. This will ensure both come to an agreement on make up. Or teams that don't complete SEC schedule are ineligible for SEC Championship game. Thoughts?

Reactions: 6 people
Both teams should be awarded a loss unless game is made up. This will ensure both come to an agreement on make up. Or teams that don't complete SEC schedule are ineligible for SEC Championship game. Thoughts?

SEC could have stepped up yesterday or Tuesday. Sunday and Monday LSU has agreed to it at either location. Not sure what LSU has to do with this.

SEC could have stepped up yesterday or Tuesday. Sunday and Monday LSU has agreed to it at either location. Not sure what LSU has to do with this.

LSU is apparently refusing to play the game on November 19 even with an offer from the SEC to make them whole on the non-playing of a non-conference game in BR.

I heard that Lsu refused to reschedule the game -- the sec needs to issue a big fine

this would make sure Florida agrees.

Neither here or there... the SEC did not get involved until today from what I was told. I'm not sure what else to say but the fault lies with the SEC first. Florida is just trolling at this point, and at this point, nobody stopped them.

Agreed! Sankey should have stepped in and said if you all can't figure it out then you both forfeit. It won't matter to LSU as they've already lost two this season but it'll matter to Florida.

Reactions: 1 person
LSU is apparently refusing to play the game on November 19 even with an offer from the SEC to make them whole on the non-playing of a non-conference game in BR.

I don't have their schedule in front of me but wouldn't that make them playing Arkansas Bama Florida and then Texas am on Thursday night in consecutive weeks?

Game didnt get cancelled till today.

Exactly, the SEC came in late today, Florida than calls the game as envisioned. Not sure what to say, every LSU fan was saying Florida didn't want to play. LSU sent a release out last night saying Florida was playing hardball.

VN Store

Back