Question about LSU/UF game cancelation - East Coast weather [update: game cancelled]

Not sure where you're getting that from.

Under NCAA regulations, a conference with 12 members may play an additional football game to determine its champion, provided the regular season is played in divisions. The participants of the game are determined each year during the eight-game regular-season conference schedule as the teams with the best overall SEC winning percentage in each division.

Championship - Football

Thats why I said it could work out where they let Florida go this year, and then rewrite the rules so this doesn't happen again.

Just like what happened when LSU won against us under Dooley, ditto UNC.

It's bull**** how we always get the short end on this kind of crap

Well fortunately nothing has happened yet so let's see. They should have an explicit statement in the rules that a team not playing the full 8-game conference schedule is not eligible to win their division.

This is why Sankey needs to step in and force them to do something to reschedule, then adjust the language of the rule anyway.

Somebody link the rule. I don't think it specifically says you have to play 8. Just that there are 8 conf games, and highest winning % wins.

Well fortunately nothing has happened yet so let's see. They should have an explicit statement in the rules that a team not playing the full 8-game conference schedule is not eligible to win their division.

This is why Sankey needs to step in and force them to do something to reschedule, then adjust the language of the rule anyway.

We'll see.

the point will be moot if Florida falls to Arky or Georgia anyways.

But seriously, 6-1 vs 6-2, who wins?

The way the rule is written, I really don't think anybody truly knows and it is open to interpretation.

I think the "8-game regular season schedule" language is there for a reason. It does imply that the highest winning % team after an 8-game regular season schedule is the division champ. That appears to imply that a team playing a regular season schedule with a different number of games than that cannot win the division, but it does not explicitly say that. That's the problem.

Espn has confirmed the following: if Florida goes 6-1 and TN goes 6-2, Florida would play in SECCG.

I say we take it to supreme court...

Under NCAA regulations, a conference with 12 members may play an additional football game to determine its champion, provided the regular season is played in divisions. The participants of the game are determined each year during the eight-game regular-season conference schedule as the teams with the best overall SEC winning percentage in each division.

Championship - Football

That is a description of the SECCG, that isn't the SEC rules or bylaws. The copy and paste from the rules is earlier in the thread and doesn't say a thing about eight games.

You all should really wait to see how this Saturday and next Saturday works out before you get yourself all worked up.

Tennessee is going to win 1 of the two, maybe even both. This quite frankly has been a team that when one man is down, the others step up. Given them a little credit before you throw them under the bus.

Reactions: 1 person
Somebody link the rule. I don't think it specifically says you have to play 8. Just that there are 8 conf games, and highest winning % wins.

Championship - Football

that was me and 05 have been parsing over. The wording implies that 8 games are necessary but never explicitly states it.

However, if Florida gets off on a technicality you bet that it will cause a lot of ruffled feathers and mattress burning that the SEC will want to avoid. Not to mention the loss in revenue of not being able to show the LSU/FL game on TV.

I'm betting they will force the teams to meet.

We'll see.

the point will be moot if Florida falls to Arky or Georgia anyways.

I still can't imagine the game isn't rescheduled.

If it for some reason isn't rescheduled, I'll be the biggest Georgia fan on the planet for the Cocktail Party. But it doesn't end there...Nikki Haley said today that she "can't imagine" that S Car/Georgia will be played this weekend. If that game has to be moved, or if for some reason, it wasn't played at all, then this thing gets even more complicated.

As I understand it... 6-1

The way the rule is written, I really don't think anybody truly knows and it is open to interpretation.

I think the "8-game regular season schedule" language is there for a reason. It does imply that the highest winning % team after an 8-game regular season schedule is the division champ. That appears to imply that a team playing a regular season schedule with a different number of games than that cannot win the division, but it does not explicitly say that. That's the problem.

I'm joking. That question's been asked like every 3 posts in this thread today.

Championship - Football

that was me and 05 have been parsing over. The wording implies that 8 games are necessary but never explicitly states it.

However, if Florida gets off on a technicality you bet that it will cause a lot of ruffled feathers and mattress burning that the SEC will want to avoid. Not to mention the loss in revenue of not being able to show the LSU/FL game on TV.

I'm betting they will force the teams to meet.

If Sankey does the "right thing," he will force the schools to reschedule the game. I don't know if he has the legal (i.e., in the SEC bylaws) to actually do it.

He doesn't and shouldn't pull a Roger Goodell and have unilateral authority in a variety of areas, but in an extreme situation like this that directly impacts the number of games a team plays, he should have the authority to force the schools to play a game so a full conference schedule can be played.

If Sankey does the "right thing," he will force the schools to reschedule the game. I don't know if he has the legal (i.e., in the SEC bylaws) to actually do it.

He doesn't and shouldn't pull a Roger Goodell and have unilateral authority in a variety of areas, but in an extreme situation like this that directly impacts the number of games a team plays, he should have the authority to force the schools to play a game so a full conference schedule can be played.

The sec did this to TN when they made them go to Baton Rouge on a Monday night. This is outrageous.

Reactions: 1 person
What was it someone said ? Winning the East is like winning an expedited trip to the electric chair.

I am kind of enjoying what Florida has done here, not /s.

Really shows the uselessness of the SEC. imo :hi:

VN Store

Back