Quarterbacks Orange

I like your reply the best of all, but I would add that BM (since we are using initials) will also benefit greatly from a full year in the system.

Back to JG though...While he certainly needs to improve his decision making on 3rd down, and in the red zone, it would be great if he can take a "step" in the athleticism department. He is by no means a dual threat, but if he could just add a bit to his speed and quickness, he might be able to keep a few more drives alive. Maybe that is too much to ask for a fifth year senior, but I think that is what he needs if he wants to stay on the field.

My guess would be that JG and HB will be sharing time on the field this year, with the occasional wildcat package for Hill or Holiday. Maybe BM gets a chance too, if he greatly improves overall. Shrout has a very good arm. I just don't know if he will be able to put it all together to run the team.
I don't know that much about Hill. Due to his experience, maybe he is the wildcard.

I just looked at our roster (UtSports.com). We have 7 qb's. That doesn't include Holiday and HB. That is a lot of competition. I bet there will be some attrition during/after Spring ball. It is a good problem to have.

Hill was a duel threat QB but he has had an ACL on each knee, so I don't know what to expect from him.

As for 7 QBs: I'd imagine that we lose at least 1 scholly QB after Spring Training. Although some say Strout might wait until for a grad transfer.

To the best of my knowledge, Hill is still a walk-on.

I'm neither a well-informed football scout nor a qualified QB evaluator. I'm just a smuck who thinks he knows more than he does and admits he doesn't.
Just the same, mulling over the game highlights of our two freshmen QBs I'm concluding that:

Harrison Bailey will be more like a Casey Clausen version QB. Very few have the sheer ball brilliance of Peyton Manning but he should be one heck of a QB just the same. Perhaps even a Brett Favre type gunslinger.

Jimmy Holiday, if he does play QB is more in the mold of Joshua Dobbs but has a predisposed tendency to run than passing the ball. Or a Lynn Bowden but a far better passer.

Either one will make the Vols an exciting team to watch. Now, going even farther out on a limb, I think JG will be better under the continued tutelage of Chaney. BUT he will win more games for what is surely an odd and hard to accept take for most of you. I insist that for whatever reason, from the get-go, JG, a dual-threat QB was discouraged from running. It seems that shackle is now lifted and we'll see a version of him thus far unseen and it will translate into wins.

Now, before jumping down my throat, remember my first sentence above. Beyond that, well just:
Jg was discouraged from running by the fact that he cannot out run the opposing teams defensive tackles not the coaches. Not only is he slow foot speed wise he is slow to process the defense and make a decision to tuck and run. Here’s to hoping Bailey or Maurer one beats him out before the season starts. If not prepare to be disappointed.

Just sharing what I think about our QBs, nobody need agree with me. As for JG as dual threat, what do you call this? Why haven't we seen it at the UT?

He has been playing sec football since he got here not high school ball in jersey. Those kids he’s playing against are slower than ****.

I think JG is just JG at this point. He's going to have ups and downs. And he just simply isn't a dual threat QB.

High School is over …….SEC is more competition than all high school teams he played against combined , not going to try prop JG up with HS video, I want see a true
QB competition everyone get chance win job and not given to someone b/c he 's 5th yr sr...……….

PICK YOUR TOP 2

Jarrett Guarantano 6-4 215
JT Shrout 6-3 215
Brian Maurer 6-3 195
Kasim Hill 6-2 234
Harrison Bailey 6-5 220
Jimmy Holiday 6-0 190

PICK YOUR TOP 2

Jarrett Guarantano 6-4 215
JT Shrout 6-3 215
Brian Maurer 6-3 195
Kasim Hill 6-2 234
Harrison Bailey 6-5 220
Jimmy Holiday 6-0 190
The last I heard Bailey was down to 211. Maurer was up to 202. That’s as of spring 2019. I feel it’s a safe bet to assume Maurer is 205.

Reactions: lynnh
What makes people think JG is a dual threat QB? He’s never been much of a running threat in high school or college.

I had the impression JG was considered pro style until he decided to claim as a senior he was dual threat ... a claim he's never backed up at Tennessee. If he claimed he was a slow moving tank almost impervious to damage, I could go with that.

Joe Burrow, multiple OC's different teams 1 year starter with another new OC and won the NC and Heisman. Stop making excuses for JG. He is what he is and going into the 5th year still has less wins as a starter than even Fromm had for Georgia just last season. Constantly over throwing, under throwing, throwing it out of bounds on 3rd down constantly or changing the play constantly is on JG and JG alone. Literally refuses to throw it down field on 3rd to let players like JJ or MC make a play because of what? Afraid to hurt his stats by throwing a pick? A 50 yard int is pretty much just as good as a punt and at least your WR's have a chance to make a play. But for whatever reason JG believes the best play is to dump it out of bounds 90% of the time.

Reactions: lynnh and AM64
I, too, am neither a well-informed football scout nor a qualified QB evaluator. But I suspect my ball brilliance exceeds that of Manning, or anyone in this forum... Fact is, I consider myself something of a dual threat.

To women and children?

JG set the SPARQ athleticism record at The Opening. He dealt with a bad line, injuries, and being discouraged to run due to not having capable replacements. He will show more scrambling ability IF the coaches want that to be part of the O.

I had the impression JG was considered pro style until he decided to claim as a senior he was dual threat ... a claim he's never backed up at Tennessee. If he claimed he was a slow moving tank almost impervious to damage, I could go with that.
Recruits do not pick how they are ranked or at what position. That makes zero sense.

You don't "claim" a position. lmao

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Pretty much. He’s tough as hell. No one can take that away from him. He’s slow on his feet and slow to make decisions. Neither are going to get much on the ground in this conference. Idk if he’s fast enough to get a designed run. Just too tentative.

Reactions: AM64
Cowardly sadist that stabs while hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Try a little civility.

giphy.gif

He had a dual threat tag when we recruited him.
I don't understand why any Vol fan gets caught up with him being rated a dual threat out of HS. It was clear after his 1st 2 or 3 games as a Fr that he wasn't going to be a DT QB and I'm surprised all our couch coaches did not notice that and are still moaning about it 3 years later.

What makes people think JG is a dual threat QB? He’s never been much of a running threat in high school or college.

I totally agree all you have to do is look at his stats in hs, never has been a duel threat. It appears his family has money and was sent to camps and had a good marketing team to earn him the star rating, because his hs stats certainly are not what a 4 star rated qb should have in hs.

You could easily make a video of some plays at Tennessee that look just like these passes....late and underthrown but still completed passes. You can also identify that he has been staring down receivers before he got to TN and never stopped. As far as the running, most look like designed run plays and like other have said the defenses don’t look very fast.

jg in hs his senior year rushed for a whopping 206 yards avg 2.5 yds per carry. His four star rating had to be based on camp performance because his hs stats certainly don't support it. He had 11 td passing his senior year. They played 10 games. How in the world could a person even look at his highlight video and think he could be very successful in the sec.

Reactions: jarnol32
Jg was discouraged from running by the fact that he cannot out run the opposing teams defensive tackles not the coaches. Not only is he slow foot speed wise he is slow to process the defense and make a decision to tuck and run. Here’s to hoping Bailey or Maurer one beats him out before the season starts. If not prepare to be disappointed.

I hope someone beats him out of the starting qb position, but I doubt that will happen because jg apparantly is very good in practice. If he comes out in the game and we have the same play we have seen from him, he will be replaced at some point in the season, but I think that would be a bad decision to not let one of the others start from the first game and get as much game expierence as possible before getting into sec play. Like last year maurers first start against probably the best defense in the sec Ga. I hope jg does better but just don't see it happening. But with all of this said I will be supportive of whoever the hc puts out there. If Bailey is as good as advertised we will only have him 3 years even if he starts as a freshman.

Reactions: jarnol32

VN Store

Back