Quarterbacks Orange

High School is over …….SEC is more competition than all high school teams he played against combined , not going to try prop JG up with HS video, I want see a true
QB competition everyone get chance win job and not given to someone b/c he 's 5th yr sr...……….

Wasn't he the #1 dual threat qb in his class??

He was definitely mislabeled and he's not a gifted runner. I will say that I did see a positive development in his game last year. He scrambled for yardage instead of constantly eating sacks when coverage was tight and things broke down. We don't need him to be a Dobbs but we need him to make the leap of being decisive with the ball quickly.

I think it is hard to evaluate players when they are not coming from the South. Overall, I believe the competition is just not as good. So, maybe that is your answer. He had good coaches, good receivers, and inferior competition.

Can't disagree on that line of reasoning. Just put me down as one of those folks who still believe JG will breakout though this is his last chance. I don't give up on my Vols as easily as some. Despite all I've said, I harbor a sneaking suspicion we also will be seeing Hill producing on the field to our delight.

Reactions: i2amavol
Just sharing what I think about our QBs, nobody need agree with me. As for JG as dual threat, what do you call this? Why haven't we seen it at the UT?

You could easily make a video of some plays at Tennessee that look just like these passes....late and underthrown but still completed passes. You can also identify that he has been staring down receivers before he got to TN and never stopped. As far as the running, most look like designed run plays and like other have said the defenses don’t look very fast.

Reactions: cgrish and lynnh
You could easily make a video of some plays at Tennessee that look just like these passes....late and underthrown but still completed passes. You can also identify that he has been staring down receivers before he got to TN and never stopped. As far as the running, most look like designed run plays and like other have said the defenses don’t look very fast.

I can what you mean. However, just lay the below down to me just being me.
I am someone who believes in my Vols. I believe even when I have no reason to believe in them. In Kiffin-Dooley-Jones era, I still believed we would win every game we played. I believed in the team and its individual players. And well, you know what? I still believe, and give not "dayum" if no one else does. I'll just keep on believing. Vols forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
What makes people think JG is a dual threat QB? He’s never been much of a running threat in high school or college.[/QUOT

Rivals said he was, 247 actually had him ranked #1 dual threat QB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-133526_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-133526_Chrome.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 32
I can what you mean. However, just lay the below down to me just being me.
I am someone who believes in my Vols. I believe even when I have no reason to believe in them. In Kiffin-Dooley-Jones era, I still believed we would win every game we played. I believed in the team and its individual players. And well, you know what? I still believe, and give not "dayum" if no one else does. I'll just keep on believing. Vols forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was just responding to the context of the JG we see on HS film vs what we’ve seen since he took his first snap at TN. I too am an optimist, most that are having a discussion on a Vols football forum mid February are. He is not the first to disappoint and he won’t be the last. Maybe we see a completely improved JG this year and he plays lights out or maybe we see him transfer in the spring....either way I think most here hope we don’t get a repeat of last seasons QB play

Reactions: AM64
I was just responding to the context of the JG we see on HS film vs what we’ve seen since he took his first snap at TN. I too am an optimist, most that are having a discussion on a Vols football forum mid February are. He is not the first to disappoint and he won’t be the last. Maybe we see a completely improved JG this year and he plays lights out or maybe we see him transfer in the spring....either way I think most here hope we don’t get a repeat of last seasons QB play

Hey man, no big deal. Didn't I say, "I can what you mean. However, just lay the below down to me just being me. "? I'm just the kind of guy who thinks if he drives a car off a cliff, it will somehow land with the softness of a skilfully controlled drone. Despite everybody yelling at me, it's really a Hancock situation before he learned to land without wrecking the pavement. That's just me.

Last edited:
Looking at the 2016 highlights, I think I see a solution to JG's running ability/lack of and it may also confuse the opponents; swap his and Maurer's jersey numbers.

I just really hope that one of the QBs performs at a high-enough level in the spring and fall camp that the coaches trust him to start over JG. I have no doubt that we have better passers on the roster, but they have to take care of the ball before they get the nod. That's what got Maurer in the doghouse last year.

Reactions: AM64
After spring practice we will likely see a much smaller quarterback room. JG, Mauer, and Shrout could all be gone to the portal. OC Chaney's system requires an elite quarterback to be effective. Maybe the incomings can be elite. Our 2019 QBs showed me no signs of being elite. The days of game managers are over, teams can't score enough TDs with them to keep up with championship contenders.. The Vols have stunk for so long, some fans think 9 regular season wins is OK. In truth 9 wins means mid pack in the conference.

Last edited:
Can't disagree on that line of reasoning. Just put me down as one of those folks who still believe JG will breakout though this is his last chance. I don't give up on my Vols as easily as some. Despite all I've said, I harbor a sneaking suspicion we also will be seeing Hill producing on the field to our delight.

Yeah, the more I think about it, if HB is not ready early on, then an experienced (and overlooked by fans) Hill could be the one who takes the reigns from JG if he cannot up his game a few notches.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Woodsman,
Had they not petitioned to have Jarrett categorized as a DT QB, and more accurately labeled him a PS, then things would be a lot better around here still.

Here's the problems ...
#1 He's got some highlights running over, thru, and past 5'9 180# LBs who run 4.8 40s. Not to mention the 5'6 155# DBs in NJ HS football. That's not the SEC. Have you ever seen Peyton Manning's highlights running it like a man among boys at Isadore Newman?
#2. JG has good size and plenty of top end STRAIGHT LINE speed. He doesn't have "football speed" or wiggle. SEC defenders won't miss. So like Peyton they keep him home.
#3 His melanin levels confirm most Dual Threat stereotypes. He does not fit it tho.

JGs problem is NOT his arm. It's his internal clock when the lights come on. If CJC can fix that clock and get him to where he plays fast and loose by his instincts, then he'll be a star maker. If JG continues to switch in and out of deer in the headlights ... 1/4 seco d late to decide mode, then we'll see another year of QB controversies IMO.

I would love to see him get over the hump. But, we'll not know a thing until the first few offensive possessions of the opener.

For what it's worth, I remember him being classified as a duel threat QB. I also remember allot of big expectations that have yet to pan out.

I don't care who it is, it can be JG for all I care, I hope we have a solid QB this year. If I were Holiday and Bailey, my head would be buried in the play book every day of the week. If I didn't win the starting position, it wouldn't be because I didn't know the play book. I want to see a QB that makes me feel like he has a desire to be a winner. I cringe at the thought of having another season with QB play being hit and miss......FYI, I know I didn't add much to the discussion, just wanted to put it out there/here!

I'm neither a well-informed football scout nor a qualified QB evaluator. I'm just a smuck who thinks he knows more than he does and admits he doesn't.
Just the same, mulling over the game highlights of our two freshmen QBs I'm concluding that:

Harrison Bailey will be more like a Casey Clausen version QB. Very few have the sheer ball brilliance of Peyton Manning but he should be one heck of a QB just the same. Perhaps even a Brett Favre type gunslinger.

Jimmy Holiday, if he does play QB is more in the mold of Joshua Dobbs but has a predisposed tendency to run than passing the ball. Or a Lynn Bowden but a far better passer.

Either one will make the Vols an exciting team to watch. Now, going even farther out on a limb, I think JG will be better under the continued tutelage of Chaney. BUT he will win more games for what is surely an odd and hard to accept take for most of you. I insist that for whatever reason, from the get-go, JG, a dual-threat QB was discouraged from running. It seems that shackle is now lifted and we'll see a version of him thus far unseen and it will translate into wins.

Now, before jumping down my throat, remember my first sentence above. Beyond that, well just:
I think Bailey was a "take" for obvious reasons...I think Pruitt desires to run traditional offense, dominant run, with better passing execution. I think Pruitt took Holiday because he's seeing how the NFL game is changing with guys like Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray, and covering his bases with him to be able to pivot and give him options with a running QB, if our OL truly turns out to be dominant. Our optimal situation is for JG to play better. If he doesn't, that means we're probably going to lose a game or two in the process of figuring out who the next man up is. One would think another full year under Chaney is a good thing, but can't say JG progressed last year towards consistency needed to 100% be "the guy".

Looking at our schedule and roster, I‘m confident we will improve next year. I’m thinking JG is lights out the best player. Five years of QB in the SEC have got to help him. Having Shrout, Maurer, and Bailey pushing him and JG mentoring them is going to be good for the VOLS. I’m pumped about 2020.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think Bailey was a "take" for obvious reasons...I think Pruitt desires to run traditional offense, dominant run, with better passing execution. I think Pruitt took Holiday because he's seeing how the NFL game is changing with guys like Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray, and covering his bases with him to be able to pivot and give him options with a running QB, if our OL truly turns out to be dominant. Our optimal situation is for JG to play better. If he doesn't, that means we're probably going to lose a game or two in the process of figuring out who the next man up is. One would think another full year under Chaney is a good thing, but can't say JG progressed last year towards consistency needed to 100% be "the guy".

I think Pruitt wants to run a RPO offense. Quick hits with a lot of runs. Then lay the wood to them on defense.

High School is over …….SEC is more competition than all high school teams he played against combined , not going to try prop JG up with HS video, I want see a true
QB competition everyone get chance win job and not given to someone b/c he 's 5th yr sr...……….
I think by midseason there could be a two platoon quarterback system going with Jarrett Guarantano and Harrison Bailey

We've seen the zenith of JG's performance level IMO and it is not what is required to play QB at a consistently good level in the SEC. It's time to move on IMO.

We don't know that as we've yet to see it. However, I think we might have seen what's possible during the USCjr and Gator Bowl games. With JG it's less about being elusive than picking up yardage instead of a sack. To really know about his running we may need to look at video of him prior to coming to Tennessee.

Per Maxpreps he averaged 2.1 yards per carry in his total HS career. see attached. He is what he is.
Really don’t know why he was labeled dual threat. I would like to know his 40 time I’m guessing 4.8 as Spurrier used to say his speed is deceptive he’s slower than he looks.

Attachments

• 056D0443-C47C-4C16-8CC4-F2E690BFC349.png
    056D0443-C47C-4C16-8CC4-F2E690BFC349.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

VN Store

Back