Quarterback

Which qb realistically gives us the best shot to win games in 2020?

• Jarrett Guarantano

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • Harrison Bailey

Votes: 329 56.7%
  • Kasim Hill

Votes: 61 10.5%
  • Brian Maurer

Votes: 134 23.1%
  • JT Shrout

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters
I know very little about Hill, other than he is extremely mobile. Mobility is a good thing though.
Bailey looks like he will become a major player here, but not sure when he will become the starter...His film is spectacular.
Maurer and Stout are excellent individuals, but this past season they both had some major deficiencies, such as throwing into double coverage too regularly....
JG may still be the best option come fall, but a lot can and will happen before then. It would have been nice if he would have used his legs more, but when he runs, he does not appear too fast.
Also, the young freshmen named Holiday will play a part in determining who the main man is.

Like all of you guys, if we can get just good quarterback play, UT football could be special again.
Yeah, both Maurer threw some into double coverage, as freshmen with no experience just learning to play SEC football. JG did it repeatedly as a 4th year player, 3 year starter. Yet, for some reason, when Maurer and Shrout did it, they were quickly pulled with the reasoning given being “we can’t turn the ball over”, even when they didn’t actually turn the ball over. Yet Guarantano can actually turn the ball over leading to pick sixes and 2 td deficits in a bowl game, and they’ll either leave him in or pull him for a series (while the backup actually stops the Guarantano single-handedly caused with a scoring drive) and put him right back in.

Bottom line, despite what we saw on the field, neither Maurer nor Shrout were remotely given a fair shot to play over a historically bad Guarantano last year, a QB who literally held the team back from winning at times. I just hope BM and Shrout and Holliday are really given a fair shot to win the job and that Pruitt doesn’t continue to show the bias and favoritism he did towards Guarantano in 2019.

I trust the coaches to get everything about this team right after how I saw them right the ship and finish the season......except at the quarterback position.

Not sure the QB position could be fixed. Coaches didn't have the glass to fix the broken window. They had to put plastic over it until the storm passed.:(

And people without imagination are lost souls indeed. I pity them.
Imagination is great, is wonderful and a part of the human experience. It’s just not much good when used like you did, which is completely guessing about something you don’t factually know. Big difference.

Imagination is great, is wonderful and a part of the human experience. It’s just not much good when used like you did, which is completely guessing about something you don’t factually know. Big difference.

Could be. It's what fans do. And since it's my mind, I can use it any way I want to instead of how someone else wants to dictate how to use it. I "imagine" we all have that right. I'm at peace with that and won't let anybody take it from me.

Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

We'll begin with a spin
Traveling in the world
Of my creation
What we'll see
Will defy explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it

Not sure the QB position could be fixed. Coaches didn't have the glass to fix the broken window. They had to put plastic over it until the storm passed.:(
I guess you’re right. It’s literally a miracle that we won 8 games with Guarantano even enrollled in school, much less playing as much as he did. I really believe that Maurer, if given the opportunity and if he gets laser focused, could be the guy assuming he stays healthy....at least until Bailey, potentially, gets up and running and ready to go. It just drives me nuts when I hear people say, including those in the media, that they fully expect, or don’t see any way in 2020, that Guarantano isn’t the starter next year. Given how bad he was about 75% of the season, he should be told to move on and we should develop the better players we have on the roster imho.

I agree part of the problem was inexperience. However, by the end of the season, he should not be making the same mistakes over and over. He biggest asset ove JG is his ability to escape the rush and pick up yardage with his legs. He also seems to throw the ball a bit better on the run, but he throws the ball into overage as well as across the field into coverage. Those throws easily end up as ints. I would not star HB against Oklahoma unless his is blowing everyone else away in Fall practice and when/if he plays in the first game. I would not throw him to the wolves until he has good production against some of our less-talented teams. However, I think he will be able to beat UGa when they come up on the schedule.

If competition is close with him and jg, he should start the first game, because he will steadily improve. Let him start if its close against the first easy team and we will have a better chance against okl. and the rest of the season. And that goes for Maurer, shrout, and holliday as well. If any of them are even close to jg in practice the best of them should start.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I guess you’re right. It’s literally a miracle that we won 8 games with Guarantano even enrollled in school, much less playing as much as he did. I really believe that Maurer, if given the opportunity and if he gets laser focused, could be the guy assuming he stays healthy....at least until Bailey, potentially, gets up and running and ready to go. It just drives me nuts when I hear people say, including those in the media, that they fully expect, or don’t see any way in 2020, that Guarantano isn’t the starter next year. Given how bad he was about 75% of the season, he should be told to move on and we should develop the better players we have on the roster imho.

Agree. He has a swagger about him that a QB needs.

It would sure be good to have a qb with the speed of holiday, if he can pass just average.
Holiday has an unorthodox throwing motion/release. Undoubtedly for him to start at QB eventually is going to require a lot more development in his passing game. The problem is time and patience. I see both JH and HB redshirting in a perfect world. Not going into details but JH has to improve his footwork, (passing), and release. He'll need to attend a lot of off-season QB camps.

UT coaches made JH a priority recruit and have certain packages to utilize his speed. JH has a huge upside especially if he can improve his passing technique which really isn't that bad at this point considering he just finished HS.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Zero chance Hill is going to be the starting QB
You must have some inside sources to make that statement. The smarter posters on here have made the rational statement that none of us have a clue at this time who will give us the best chance of winning. To go a step further I doubt Pruitt, Chaney, or Weinke, know who will get the most snaps next year.

What I do know is that Hill has played in about 15 games for a P5 school and has had a year to study the playbook. If the QB competition is wide open I'd say his chances are as good as the 3 QB's we saw play this year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I hope that’s the case bc that’s a good sign for HB then. I agree too that I think at least 1 of the 2 will transfer out
Is JT Shrout lovestruck with his softball playing girlfriend? I didn't vote in this poll but 6 QB's likely on scholly and at least 2 walk-ons is a bit much. I kinda like JT in the pocket and he has a decent arm. If I were him I'd be banging on some doors down in Mississippi where the 2 new coaches are known for developing QB's. Bad part is he's already used his red-shirt and he'll lose a year of eligibility.

We recruited JT because of the flip of Martinez to Nebraska. Had Martinez had any idea Chaney would have been running our offense and he signed with UT our QB woes would likely be much less, imo. Hated to lose that one.........thanks coach Helton !

I think Maurer has the best chance. I doubt JG puts it together and coaches showed that Maurer is the current back up. I think with how good our line will be Bailey and Shrout has the most potiental to be good. Shrout throws the prettiest ball of returning QBs.

Reactions: tbones0711
If given a fair shot, Maurer and Bailey and Shrout should all 3 play ahead of Guarantano. We know with 100% certainty how limited JG is and that he simply can’t do it. It’s now time to see if one of these 3 can, and if they can’t, run Hill out there. No more Guarantano.
When it's bad ,it's bad. I hadn't been to a live game at Neyland in quite awhile and decided to attend a couple this year thinking we'd turn the corner around mid-season and chose to go to Miss. St. game primarily to see BM lead the team. He flipped up in the air and landed on his head that game. In game JG and some say he saved the day but the TD pass to Byrd was mostly on the receiver breaking it for YAC. Even when JG throws a deep ball it's almost always our receivers making him look good.

The 1st 2 drives in the Gator Bowl were very telling.......we've seen all we need to see in JG. Someone needs to step up at UT and take the bull by the horns at QB. This barely winning against inferior teams and at times losing is getting old. It's gonna a bad look next season playing an inexperienced QB behind what appears to be one of the best Olines in the country. Fanwise the deck is stacked against JG. It shouldn't be that way but it is what it is.

Reactions: whodeycin85
MY selection is WHO cares...…….'
Give me an OL and a Defense...…...it is amazing how good that makes a QB and RB look good.
Waaay too much time spent worrying about the QB

You must have some inside sources to make that statement. The smarter posters on here have made the rational statement that none of us have a clue at this time who will give us the best chance of winning. To go a step further I doubt Pruitt, Chaney, or Weinke, know who will get the most snaps next year.

What I do know is that Hill has played in about 15 games for a P5 school and has had a year to study the playbook. If the QB competition is wide open I'd say his chances are as good as the 3 QB's we saw play this year.
It doesn't take i side information for him to make his statement. All that is required is a little knowledge about football.

It doesn't take inside information for him to make his statement. A little knowledge about football is all that is required. Hill will get his Masters degree and move on to bigger and better things. We have had a few players who have required surgery on both knees and none have played up to their pre-surgery abilities.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Give me an OL and a Defense...…...it is amazing how good that makes a QB and RB look good.
A strong argument can be made in the opposite direction. A good QB can make the OL and all other players around him look and actually play better. We had the opposite last year on the offense, where poor QB play from Guarantano held our offense back and put additional pressure on a good, improving defense.

Heck, look at LSU as another great example. Look at them all these years....great defense, great WRs and RBs, couldn’t get over the hump and truly compete with Bama because of poor QB play. Then they get Burrow playing like he did this year and voila, they’re finally playing for a championship.

The QB discussion is warranted because of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
Depends on what you want out of a season. All four playoff teams had more than JAG, and the two that advanced did so on the arms of their face of the program QB. Our team got to 8 wins mostly due to our defense emerging and equalizing the field of play, but we don’t get there without the signalcaller making the necessary plays. Want better get better.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Of course no one knows how HB really is at this juncture. I would love for Jarrett to have the Ah Ha phenomenon and things start clicking but from what we have all seen, his head is all aflutter and unless that changes drastically it will be another year of hoping it will change.

You know, I would love that too. But odds of that happening are long for most and 50/50 at best. I think he has been so beaten up, the confidence he has at times is shaken. That is why I am interested to see how Kasim Hill looks. And I am not counting out Maurer or Shrout either. As to the ability to not get hurt? This is football. Concussions can happen at any time. That is not being injury prone, that is good fortune.

If this team is going to be the contender for titles we hope for, we know there are factors that involve the entirety of the team to make that happen. And we could make a lengthy shopping list. But stability at quarterback tops it. To upset top ranked teams, not to lose to or barely beat mid tier teams will require a damn good QB. Whichever of these players can provide that every week? Bring them on. And if it ends up being Jimmy Holiday? That will be surprising, but not unheard of.

You know, I would love that too. But odds of that happening are long for most and 50/50 at best. I think he has been so beaten up, the confidence he has at times is shaken. That is why I am interested to see how Kasim Hill looks. And I am not counting out Maurer or Shrout either. As to the ability to not get hurt? This is football. Concussions can happen at any time. That is not being injury prone, that is good fortune.

If this team is going to be the contender for titles we hope for, we know there are factors that involve the entirety of the team to make that happen. And we could make a lengthy shopping list. But stability at quarterback tops it. To upset top ranked teams, not to lose to or barely beat mid tier teams will require a damn good QB. Whichever of these players can provide that every week? Bring them on. And if it ends up being Jimmy Holiday? That will be surprising, but not unheard of.
Thank you for this. Please tag all the morons that think you can train way concussions

VN Store

Back