Quarterback

Which qb realistically gives us the best shot to win games in 2020?

• Jarrett Guarantano

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • Harrison Bailey

Votes: 329 56.7%
  • Kasim Hill

Votes: 61 10.5%
  • Brian Maurer

Votes: 134 23.1%
  • JT Shrout

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters
Not expecting the worst, just time time for him to develop.. like most freshman QBs lol. You still havent listed these freshman QBs? Guys like Trevor Lawrence are the exception.. he also had a VERY talented supporting cast. You wont find freshman QBs doing that, reasonable expectations..
"According to research from STATS Perform, 24 true freshmen started at least one game at quarterback in the FBS last season, 11 from Power 5 schools. The increase in true freshman QB starters is most felt at the major college level. From 2009–13 in the Power 5, 43 freshman quarterbacks started a total of 229 games. From 2014–18, 61 rookies started 360 games"

This is from an SI article fro. September......freshman QBs do happen and continue to happen and are setting records...so while the TLs of the world are rare. The Sam Howells and Hilinskis and Nixs of the NCAA world are not

"According to research from STATS Perform, 24 true freshmen started at least one game at quarterback in the FBS last season, 11 from Power 5 schools. The increase in true freshman QB starters is most felt at the major college level. From 2009–13 in the Power 5, 43 freshman quarterbacks started a total of 229 games. From 2014–18, 61 rookies started 360 games"

This is from an SI article fro. September......freshman QBs do happen and continue to happen and are setting records...so while the TLs of the world are rare. The Sam Howells and Hilinskis and Nixs of the NCAA world are not

This tells you absolutely nothing about how they performed.. Nix and Howell came into situations where the previous starter graduated, Hilinski got thrown in because of and injury to Bently at USCjr.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I picked HB but I really want him to RS so he can get on the same page as Chaney With an extra year to learn the system. For that to happen JG needs to man up or move over.

GO VOLS

Reactions: irish1485
You should hold off that vote until the spring game is over. I for one would like to see them preform on the field after winter workouts and learning some of the play book.

Reactions: cgrish
This tells you absolutely nothing about how they performed.. Nix and Howell came into situations where the previous starter graduated, Hilinski got thrown in because of and injury to Bently at USCjr.
I'd like to see the overall record for those 11 that started power5. I'd bet it's a losing record.

Reactions: irish1485
Setting themselves up for disappointment when he doesn’t perform and expect a lot of “overrated” post sounds like you are.
Freshman start, it happens, don’t need to make a list for you to prove it , do your own research.
Notice I didn’t predict a starter, just pointed out predicting him to disappoint was more “stupid “ than predicting him to start.
Didn’t say he would be great or win the Hiesman either.
I’ll add: this year
1 QB started 1 year in HS and had as many INT as TD: this should concern
1 QB was a true freshman that had to learn a new O, new OC, adjust to college life, adjust to the speed of the game at this level, not sure how many years started in HS, got hurt 3 times? This should concern
1 that was a redshirt JR that had to learn a new O and OC. The fact that there was ever any doubt who should of been #1 should tell you a lot.
In Conclusion I would say a freshman that started 4 years in HS in top competition Georgia and has more upside than any of the above has a very good shot at being the starter at the end of the year.

Lol there's no list because you can't come up with one who's actually excelled.. besides TL true freshman usually QBs struggle, which is ok and expected. Again realistic expectations, hopefully we be able to get HB some game experience next year so he's prepared for 2021.

@irish1485

2018 true freshman QBs P5

Brock Purdy Iowa St
Alan Bowman Texas Tech
Sam Hartman Wake Forest
Adrian Martinez Nebraska
JT Daniels USC
Zack Annexstad Minnesota
Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
Artur Sitkowski, Rutgers

Last edited:
Lol there's no list because you can't come up with one who's actually excelled.. besides TL true freshman usually QBs struggle, which is ok and expected. Again realistic expectations, hopefully we be able to get HB some game experience next year so he's prepared for 2021.
Johnny Manziel, Jake Fromm, James Winston, Trevor Lawerence, Lamar Jackson, Marcus Mariota

Johnny Manziel, Jake Fromm, James Winston, Trevor Lawerence, Lamar Jackson, Marcus Mariota

Lol half of those guys were redshirt freshmen... which is ideal. But ok, agree to disagree.

Reactions: whodeycin85
After winning a state title playing in the biggest region/division in one of the most competitive states for high school football, I’m hoping Bailey is much like Fromm, Burrow, etc. We need it and we’re due for a breakout QB.

UF and Georgia are in the same boat -- nobody knows how things will pan out

Trask is a solid qb and I didn’t realize that Shane Mathews’ kid is a QB on their roster till yesterday. I don’t know how good he is though. @99gator or @Lawrence Wright could probably tell us. Don’t know who GA really has to replace Fromm.

VN Store

Back