Quarterback

Which qb realistically gives us the best shot to win games in 2020?

• Jarrett Guarantano

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • Harrison Bailey

Votes: 329 56.7%
  • Kasim Hill

Votes: 61 10.5%
  • Brian Maurer

Votes: 134 23.1%
  • JT Shrout

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters
Im gonna say Maurer only becuase i haven't seen Hill or Bailey yet. I will leave the door open for those two until i see the spring game

Reactions: KBVol
I'm not going to say who I think will start, but I do hope Cheney puts in a package of plays that features Holliday. His speed should be a good change-up for D's to prepare for. I think Saban is planning on something like that with the new QB he just signed. ( DT QB)

Would love to see this same poll after we are at least half way through fall camp. I'd say JG as of today but Maurer and Bailey could easily emerge IMO.
JG has never shown to be anything close to good against our top tier opponents.
Maurer is erratic and didn't look the same after injury.
Bailey is just a true freshman that we've never seen in our offense.
Lots of talent but just as many unknowns to feel confident with a pick as of today for the 2020 season.

Go Vols

Reactions: Lane Train 4
IMHO, it is stupid to vote for a Freshman who has not played a single down of college football over any of the current roster. Give him a chance to mature some, both physically and mentally.

This all day.. people are just setting themselves up to be pissed off when he doesn't perform next year. Be ready for a lot of "overrared" posts..

Maurer just seems like an interception waiting to happen. Every time he comes in he flashes w a couple nice throws...followed by should be picks.

Reactions: irish1485
IMHO, it is stupid to vote for a Freshman who has not played a single down of college football over any of the current roster. Give him a chance to mature some, both physically and mentally.
IMHO there have been many Freshman start and excel in the past that says it is far from stupid

This all day.. people are just setting themselves up to be pissed off when he doesn't perform next year. Be ready for a lot of "overrared" posts..
Why? Why do you assume he won’t perform next year? That’s just as , no more stupid than expecting him to automatically start day 1!
He has a track record of being an excellent QB with all the tools to excel on the next level.
Many with the Same resume have done it.
BV Syndrome is hard to overcome but when you do beat it, you won’t expect the worst all the time!

Why? Why do you assume he won’t perform next year? That’s just as , no more stupid than expecting him to automatically start day 1!
He has a track record of being an excellent QB with all the tools to excel on the next level.
Many with the Same resume have done it.
BV Syndrome is hard to overcome but when you do beat it, you won’t expect the worst all the time!

Not expecting the worst, just time time for him to develop.. like most freshman QBs lol. You still havent listed these freshman QBs? Guys like Trevor Lawrence are the exception.. he also had a VERY talented supporting cast. You wont find freshman QBs doing that, reasonable expectations..

Looks like Shrout and his mom are members here on Volnation

I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing him start some. He obviously has the deep ball. But at this point, it’s hard to see a future where he somehow gets serious time when we have a transfer becoming eligible (Hill), Bailey getting on campus, and last year’s top 2 QB’s returning.

I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing him start some. He obviously has the deep ball. But at this point, it’s hard to see a future where he somehow gets serious time when we have a transfer becoming eligible (Hill), Bailey getting on campus, and last year’s top 2 QB’s returning.

Ill take JG all day over Shrout personally. Or any of the other guys we have, Hill included and I haven't even seen him play.

Reactions: irish1485
If the team looks like the real Tennessee team, we may get to see Bailey play some in that first game. And Furman is the third game ... but if he were to be the one we must depend upon for Oklahoma and Florida, then we are probably no better than 2-2 at that point.

Some of you really need to get real on this. Do you want to win games or just see someone other than JG start?

Peyton Manning did not start his first, second, third or fourth games as a Freshman and he would not have started that year had the two QB's in front of him not been injured.

If the team looks like the real Tennessee team, we may get to see Bailey play some in that first game. And Furman is the third game ... but if he were to be the one we must depend upon for Oklahoma and Florida, then we are probably no better than 2-2 at that point.

Some of you really need to get real on this. Do you want to win games or just see someone other than JG start?

Peyton Manning did not start his first, second, third or fourth games as a Freshman and he would not have started that year had the two QB's in front of him not been injured.
Painting with a wide brush. Disagree with you.

Reactions: Lane Train 4
The one that Coach Pruitt picks.

I’m on the fence with this. The reason I say this is because Pruitt has a habit of pulling QB’s (mainly the younger guys) after one bad drive. That in no way gives a QB any confidence or a chance to redeem himself.

IMHO there have been many Freshman start and excel in the past that says it is far from stupid

The element of surprise does result with some of them looking good to start with - but many of those don't look so good once other teams figure out how to "rattle the freshman". And many of them end up losing their starting job to the next freshman.

I’m on the fence with this. The reason I say this is because Pruitt has a habit of pulling QB’s (mainly the younger guys) after one bad drive. That in no way gives a QB any confidence or a chance to redeem himself.

Pruitt is all about winning. I don't think it is a one bad drive thing but watching the tendencies of the QB and knowing whether those tendencies have an high chance of leading to turnovers.

There is also a chance that a young guy who is making mistakes will continue to make mistakes and rather than redeem himself - the "chance" to redeem ends up destroying the confidence instead.

Not expecting the worst, just time time for him to develop.. like most freshman QBs lol. You still havent listed these freshman QBs? Guys like Trevor Lawrence are the exception.. he also had a VERY talented supporting cast. You wont find freshman QBs doing that, reasonable expectations..
Setting themselves up for disappointment when he doesn’t perform and expect a lot of “overrated” post sounds like you are.
Freshman start, it happens, don’t need to make a list for you to prove it , do your own research.
Notice I didn’t predict a starter, just pointed out predicting him to disappoint was more “stupid “ than predicting him to start.
Didn’t say he would be great or win the Hiesman either.
I’ll add: this year
1 QB started 1 year in HS and had as many INT as TD: this should concern
1 QB was a true freshman that had to learn a new O, new OC, adjust to college life, adjust to the speed of the game at this level, not sure how many years started in HS, got hurt 3 times? This should concern
1 that was a redshirt JR that had to learn a new O and OC. The fact that there was ever any doubt who should of been #1 should tell you a lot.
In Conclusion I would say a freshman that started 4 years in HS in top competition Georgia and has more upside than any of the above has a very good shot at being the starter at the end of the year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back