QB transfer portal possibilities

We definitely need more bodies in the quarterback room. Given the obvious fact that Milton could not take over and lead us through several games, we need a quarterback that has experience with this system. That would probably be a graduate transfer from a smaller school.

Two things would cause us to go after a top elite quarterback like Rattler, Ewers, etc.:

Hooker turns pro now, or one of the elite guy shows interest in us now. We are not good enough to turn down one of the really elite guys.

Reactions: Orange Raid
Once again, Castelli, the dual-threat QB from Utah would be a good schematic fit. If he's entitled a red-shirt this year he'd have 4 years of eligibility. Has good arm and wheels.

We need a top QB transfer from the portal to upgrade our QB room. Dual threat.

No more chances on Milton retreads.
Have you thought about calling a secret hillbilly wizard meeting to solve this? I worry that our coach who was a Heisman runner up, national championship QB, AP player of the year and one of the top QB coaches in the country can’t solve this.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL
We may or may not need a transfer QB but if we do sign one the caliber we get will depend on Hendon. If he comes back no one that is a "star" is coming here to be #2. We would be looking at guys from like Temple, La Tech, WKU to be a support guy. These are guys that would be better than trotting a walk-on out there but guys that could develop and help us in the future. If hendon leaves, yes I'd say we swing for a big one however...Penix, & Martinez are not them.

I think the depth chart next year looks like this
1- Hooker
2- Jackson
3 - Milton/ Possible group of 5 transfer
5- Walk on

Guys,

Learned last night UT looking at taking 25 to 27 combined signees and transfers. Sounds like not very many transfers.

It is also very surprising no one has entered portal from Tennessee since end of season. Might not be losing many which limits how many they can take.

Signing day will be interesting next week.

Some of what Milton was doing early looked good. It was his downfield accuracy that hurt him. He is better than Guarantano, but who isn't?

Yeah, but he also ran out of bounds on the 10 yd line with no time remaining instead of tossing it up to give our 6'6" TE a chance to win the game.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
We really could benefit from a quality back-up level experienced QB. Our best chance may be with a player who is needing a fresh start from a bit of negative history who comes in with ability but without demanding a starting slot. And finding a guy who actually has high character who made a forgivable mistake and has the potential to be an effective fill-in......well that is a needle in a haystack. The key is almost no one will transfer without a near promise to compete for QB1 spot. But keep looking Vols. Lots and lots of guy in portal.

I don't think we need one. Milton is a capable backup.... It would take an Act of God for Hooker to leave.... We go T Jackson coming in this class. I don't think we need any more QB's.
Milton runs out of bounds to end games.

Reactions: 508mikey
Hard to take that hairstyle seriously.
I don't know. I think he looks tailor-made for Tennessee. He'd be a cult figure by the 3rd week.

P.S. This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does the transfer rule work for guys like Milton. It allows a single transfer without sitting a year? Beyond that, it's just like the old days where they lose a year of eligibility. Correct?

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
I don't know. I think he looks tailor-made for Tennessee. He'd be a cult figure by the 3rd week.

P.S. This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does the transfer rule work for guys like Milton. It allows a single transfer without sitting a year? Beyond that, it's just like the old days where they lose a year of eligibility. Correct?
Milton might be qualified as a grad transfer if he goes that route

VN Store

Back