QB Joe Milton and Character Quality

Well.., VN has a faction of Vols player haters, self-righteous people who erroneously think they have never committed a wrong of any types. And who therefore assume they're free to damn and condemn for eternity any player who coughs when the condemning person believes they should have sneezed.
“Ah, Bartleby, Ah, humanity.”
VN also has a lot of bias insufferable people as well. People who don't like to hear facts and always make their opinions based on emotions rather than evidence of the case. People who don't like to hear others tell what exactly happened yet would rather forget what happened and make up their own story.

VN also has a lot of bias insufferable people as well. People who don't like to hear facts and always make their opinions based on emotions rather than evidence of the case. People who don't like to hear others tell what exactly happened yet would rather forget what happened and make up their own story.

Well..., you know, some VN folks only know how to do one thing. So, umm:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: TheVolsFrog
So because my thoughts and opinions don't line up with yours there is something wrong with me? If you like him, great, I won't fault you or criticize you for it. Maybe I'm a better person than you think.
It is the way you posted it. I am allowed to feel your post was in poor taste as much as you for some reason feel it was wonderfully phrased. Bashing the kids solves nothing other than making you feel better I guess. If you will read any post that responds to yours, you will see what I meant when I said you represented a very small group among this site.

His actions and his words last year is what brought on this point of view from him. He still needs to earn the respect back. Talk is cheap
He doesn't seem to have lost the respect of the people that matter, and I guarantee that the ones posting like you, or the ones responding back are in that category. You have no idea whether the statement is legit or not. You just want to bash.

He doesn't seem to have lost the respect of the people that matter, and I guarantee that the ones posting like you, or the ones responding back are in that category. You have no idea whether the statement is legit or not. You just want to bash.
How am I bashing when I said what he did? Sounds like your feelings are hurt over HIS actions.

Reactions: JRich
Well..., you know, some VN folks only know how to do one thing. So, umm:

giphy.gif
Yeah I agree those haters need to go but unfortunately that would mean far less people to troll and far less traffic on this site even though the site would improve and the fan base would be as much as a laughing stock that it currently is.

It is the way you posted it. I am allowed to feel your post was in poor taste as much as you for some reason feel it was wonderfully phrased. Bashing the kids solves nothing other than making you feel better I guess. If you will read any post that responds to yours, you will see what I meant when I said you represented a very small group among this site.
Stating the obvious is bashing?

Reactions: Volmac2022
I think there are at least two other ways to interpret his statement, and both are exactly the type of mindset you want in your teammates and the atmosphere within the program in general.
  1. "I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job, [so much as Hendon Hooker won it]."
  2. "I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job [for good. There's still a chance for me to battle for it throughout the season.]"
Thank you for an intelligent response.

Reactions: sss1915
“I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job," Milton said.

I would, because that's what happened. We all saw his accuracy problems, so did the coaches.

Good for him, he's happy and enjoying himself and has no pressure. Just know that when the game is on the line, he will run out of bounds.
Still hurts doesn’t it? 😂

Reactions: JRich
Sadly this is my view as well. He's a good young man anybody would be proud to know and call a friend. He's a physically gifted person. He is not a top notch P5 college QB. College football is not his game.

How many times did he step out of bounds? Now how many arrogant condescending posts have you made? CJH will let us all know his capabilities with his depth chart. Let’s all wait on it!

I am truly on Milton’s side. He’s got a cannon undeniably. He has enormous potential if he can get control of his mind. He’s a smart dude, but sometimes that plays against you in quick sporting moments. He’ll get it locked down and when he does, he’ll be great. His path, however, is certainly a long one to millions.

Reactions: Volmac2022
I have never questioned Joe's character. He seems like an amazing guy and teammate. I'm the first to say that he has one of the best arms I've ever seen. The issue I have is his constant overthrows over a long period of time. I watched him at Michigan and when he got here he still hadn't fixed it. Hadn't even gotten a little better. In this Offence you HAVE TO hit those deep shots. You kill your Defense and momentum if you don't. That's my issue with Joe.

Will he get it fixed? It's possible sure but I'm not holding my breath. I hope like hell I'm wrong. I will happily eat that crow. I've watched CFB for a long time and history tells me that if he hasn't learned to control his arm by now then it ain't happening. We shall see.
Now this is how you disagree! Good post!

“I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job," Milton said.

I would, because that's what happened. We all saw his accuracy problems, so did the coaches.

Good for him, he's happy and enjoying himself and has no pressure. Just know that when the game is on the line, he will run out of bounds.
I have never seen a QB do that. I'n sure it's happened but I've never seen it. How are you not aware of the clock. Freshmen don't mistakes like that. Just lob it up and give your WRs a chance.

Vols' Hendon Hooker, Joe Milton have cooked up a college football anomaly

“It’s a unique relationship,” Heupel said. “And it’s been really good for our football team to see somebody at that position that wants to continue to grow and is willing to work through that process, to stay the course.”

Tennessee doesn’t just have a good quarterback room this season, it has a quarterback apartment. Hooker and Milton recently moved in together, which also meant a pairing of Milton’s pit bull and Hooker’s golden doodle puppy.

“I’m waiting for mine to get a little bigger,” Hooker said.

They vacationed together in the offseason in Miami. They call each other’s mothers “Mom.” When they weren’t in the same place in the offseason, Hooker said, they talked on the phone every day. Hooker is the starter, the star, the guy Milton feels responsible to push and get the best out of each day. Milton is the guy biding his time, staying ready, while Hooker urges him to keep refining those skills and getting ready for another shot at the job.

Milton’s also the chef. The quarterbacks had a large group of teammates over for the Fourth of July, with Milton preparing about 50 pieces of fried chicken, dirty rice and his mother’s macaroni recipe. Hooker chipped in with his father’s baked beans, but it’s usually Milton preparing meals.

“I can make some bad spaghetti, man,” said Milton, and while he won’t divulge his entire sauce recipe, he did say he likes to add sugar and pepperoni — with loads of the cheese on one side of the pan for his portion, and no cheese for the dairy-avoiding Hooker.

This after long days together in the weight room, the film room, now on the practice field.

“I don’t think blood could make us any closer,” Hooker said.

As much as Joe Milton struggled, he was still better than any of our QBs under Pruitt (with the exception of those 2-3 games where Jarrett Guarantano actually played well).

Still more confident with him at QB than some of our QBs from the past.

I think there are at least two other ways to interpret his statement, and both are exactly the type of mindset you want in your teammates and the atmosphere within the program in general.
  1. "I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job, [so much as Hendon Hooker won it]."
  2. "I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job [for good. There's still a chance for me to battle for it throughout the season.]"
I think number 1 would be more accurate. He knows its HH's job until he leaves IMO. I don't even think he would deny that the offense looked much more fluid when Hooker took over. For Heupel's offense there will always be 2 or 3 plays a game where wide open receivers have a TD if the quarterback gets them the ball and if not, then sit him down. Sometimes there's a better gamer behind you on the bench. Its just the way it goes sometimes if you don't raise your level of play more than the guy behind you.

Reactions: sss1915
I think number 1 would be more accurate. He knows its HH's job until he leaves IMO. I don't even think he would deny that the offense looked much more fluid when Hooker took over. For Heupel's offense there will always be 2 or 3 plays a game where wide open receivers have a TD if the quarterback gets them the ball and if not, then sit him down. Sometimes there's a better gamer behind you on the bench. Its just the way it goes sometimes if you don't raise your level of play more than the guy behind you.

🤝 Spot on. The second interpretation was how I imagined JM3 saying it if he were just being optimistic. Mainly wanted to gently point out to the poster I replied to that he had chosen the most pessimistic possible interpretation as THE way HH meant it.

Would add we might need a couple of 70 yard hail Mary’s or need somebody to run some 4 minute drills and take some physical hits or maybe have some red zone packages.

If his relationship with HH led him to better film study and peer coaching helped some lights turn on who knows what value he can add to this team. Doubt HH is just keeping him around to cook.

Practice reports should provide clarity real soon.

Reactions: volsrock09
Glad he stuck around. Don’t expect much but hope that an extra year learning this offense will improve some of his skill set which can be utilized if needed

It is good to recognize virtue, manliness, and maturity especially when our culture calls men toxic. Respect to Joe. For fans, let’s not hold him hostage to last years performances. This years performances as well as the next will likely show improvement. I cant wait to see Joe do well.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Stating the obvious is bashing?
You are so clueless. You really don't get that your way of "stating the obvious" shows you are the type of person that spends the entire game they are watching criticizing everything that happens.

You are so clueless. You really don't get that your way of "stating the obvious" shows you are the type of person that spends the entire game they are watching criticizing everything that happens.
You don't have to be a Negative Nelly to have seen it. Not only did he repeatedly over throw wide open receivers with no pressure, but when he had a chance to win a game, he ran out of bounds! Didn't throw it up for a miracle, didn't put his head down and try to push the pile. He ran out of bounds. If you're cool with that, so be it. I'm looking at football. He could be the nicest guy in the world, but when the game is on the line he has proven that he isn't the guy. The guy is 22 years old, I don't think he needs you to take offense on his behalf.

VN Store

Back