QB Joe Milton and Character Quality

“I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job," Milton said.

I would, because that's what happened. We all saw his accuracy problems, so did the coaches.

Good for him, he's happy and enjoying himself and has no pressure. Just know that when the game is on the line, he will run out of bounds.

Sadly this is my view as well. He's a good young man anybody would be proud to know and call a friend. He's a physically gifted person. He is not a top notch P5 college QB. College football is not his game.

Some people are.., they are just &%@*(^$*
snarl-smiley-emoticon.gif

True, if &%@*($* means accurate

You are a perfect example of what is wrong with a very small part of this fan base. It is a good thing that the intelligent part far surpasses that quantity.

So because my thoughts and opinions don't line up with yours there is something wrong with me? If you like him, great, I won't fault you or criticize you for it. Maybe I'm a better person than you think.

Some people are.., they are just &%@*(^$*
snarl-smiley-emoticon.gif
Would it have been better if I had spun into some Woodsman type yarn? Look, no one can contest his inaccuracy and you can literally see it on CJH's face on game film in that Pitt game after watching each missed opportunity. You could almost read his lips. He was looking for any reason to pull him out without causing a controversy and got bailed out by the hand injury. It's my opinion based on what I saw, I'm sorry you don't like it, no need to call me words you have to censor.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Milton is scared to get tackled, and he runs out of bounds on the last play. Accuracy can be improved,. Being scared can not! Arm strength is great.

Reactions: Orange12

I would, because that's what happened. We all saw his accuracy problems, so did the coaches.

Good for him, he's happy and enjoying himself and has no pressure. Just know that when the game is on the line, he will run out of bounds.

Unlike everyone else slamming you for this and saying all kinds of ridiculousness...

You're right until you're proven to be wrong. He LITERALLY as a 240lb 6'4 frame....FINAL PLAY OF THE GAME instead of throwing the ball up and giving the team a shot RAN out of bounds. Didn't try to lower his head and just push forward on a prayer either. Just gave up. That is not intelligent football. I don't know if it was pressure, fear, or lack of awareness....but he absolutely failed us when it meant the most.

Reactions: Orange12
I have never questioned Joe's character. He seems like an amazing guy and teammate. I'm the first to say that he has one of the best arms I've ever seen. The issue I have is his constant overthrows over a long period of time. I watched him at Michigan and when he got here he still hadn't fixed it. Hadn't even gotten a little better. In this Offence you HAVE TO hit those deep shots. You kill your Defense and momentum if you don't. That's my issue with Joe.

Will he get it fixed? It's possible sure but I'm not holding my breath. I hope like hell I'm wrong. I will happily eat that crow. I've watched CFB for a long time and history tells me that if he hasn't learned to control his arm by now then it ain't happening. We shall see.

Last edited:
I have never questioned Joe's character. He seems like an amazing guy and teammate. I'm the first to say that he has one of the best arms I've ever seen. The issue I have is his constant overthrows over a long period of time. I watched him at Michigan and here and he hadn't fixed it. Hadn't even gotten a little better last season. In this Offence you HAVE TO hit those deep shots. You kill your Defense and momentum if you don't. That's my issue with Joe.

Will he get it fixed? It's possible sure but I'm not holding my breath. I hope like hell I'm wrong. I will happily eat that crow. I've watched CFB for a long time and history tells me that if he hasn't learned to control his arm by now then it ain't happening. We shall see.

We’ll likely find out this year. I hope he has improved his accuracy and his head issues. The guy has tools. Would love to see them in action with good execution.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I have never questioned Joe's character. He seems like an amazing guy and teammate. I'm the first to say that he has one of the best arms I've ever seen. The issue I have is his constant overthrows over a long period of time. I watched him at Michigan and when he got here he still hadn't fixed it. Hadn't even gotten a little better. In this Offence you HAVE TO hit those deep shots. You kill your Defense and momentum if you don't. That's my issue with Joe.

So you think our staff would have him getting all the backup reps instead of TJ if he was fatally flawed? Some coaches and fans value character and it is pretty obvious that his most vocal detractors are not familiar with the concept. He stepped out of bounds once.

So you think our staff would have him getting all the backup reps instead of TJ if he was fatally flawed? Some coaches and fans value character and it is pretty obvious that his most vocal detractors are not familiar with the concept. He stepped out of bounds once.

In fairness to his detractors, he also won the starting job last year. His abilities didn’t translate into success when it mattered. For the record, I’m pulling for the guy, but I can understand those who don’t see it happening.

In fairness to his detractors, he also won the starting job last year. His abilities didn’t translate into success when it mattered. For the record, I’m pulling for the guy, but I can understand those who don’t see it happening.

His actions were in the heat of battle and these guys are sitting back only being defended by the post reply button. Discretion is a terrible thing to waste.

I think there are at least two other ways to interpret his statement, and both are exactly the type of mindset you want in your teammates and the atmosphere within the program in general.
  1. "I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job, [so much as Hendon Hooker won it]."
  2. "I wouldn’t say I lost the starting job [for good. There's still a chance for me to battle for it throughout the season.]"

If you hear the audio, the question he was asked started with “you lost the starting job…” So he was just repeating what was asked of him. He was injured, and replaced. When he was healthy again, someone else had run with the job. He was not pulled for performance.
Not really true. He was pulled bc the coaching staffs expected performance was higher with someone else. I don't see why some of you are acting like it a dbag thing to say. If the coaches thought he would be the better performer then he would be the starter. Same people who complain about participation trophies getting mad over this.

Not really true. He was pulled bc the coaching staffs expected performance was higher with someone else. I don't see why some of you are acting like it a dbag thing to say. If the coaches thought he would be the better performer then he would be the starter. Same people who complain about participation trophies getting mad over this.

I'm not sure what you were watching last year, but Hooker took over when Milton was injured. He wasn't pulled for performance. Hooker performed well enough during Milton's absence that they didn't go back to him. But to say he was pulled for performance is not accurate.

GTFO

If you hear the audio, the question he was asked started with “you lost the starting job…” So he was just repeating what was asked of him. He was injured, and replaced. When he was healthy again, someone else had run with the job. He was not pulled for performance.
He eventually would have been though.

Heard an interview on radio with him the other day. He does sound like a very good young man. Hope Hooker stays healthy but also would like to see Joe get some good mop up time with us on the good side of blowouts.
I'd utilize him as a running QB in that situation then. He clearly needs it so when the game is on the line and he can power his way into the end zone he won't just run out of bounds again. I think why he was over throwing or had made pointless mistakes was because he was afraid of being hit. He is built like a linebacker he should be running over the other kids.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Well that's one hot take.....it's a garbage take.....but it's a take.
It's a factual take lol idk why people are all of a sudden on his side. Acting like he redeemed himself. He hasn't played a game again since that mistake. So no he hasn't redeemed himself so until he does he gets the well warranted bash.

His actions and his words last year is what brought on this point of view from him. He still needs to earn the respect back. Talk is cheap

Well.., VN has a faction of Vols player haters, self-righteous people who erroneously think they have never committed a wrong of any types. And who therefore assume they're free to damn and condemn for eternity any player who coughs when the condemning person believes they should have sneezed.
“Ah, Bartleby, Ah, humanity.”

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
So because my thoughts and opinions don't line up with yours there is something wrong with me? If you like him, great, I won't fault you or criticize you for it. Maybe I'm a better person than you think.
Welcome to the internet.

VN Store

Back