QB going forward

He doesn't really fit our system. We want a running QB

In limited reps Nico looks really good. He's accurate, runs well, makes quicker decisions and has a very quick release. He just needs to put some meat on his bones and gain some top shelf receivers. Also, that quick release, quick Hooker like cadence will take a lot of pressure off of our OL which will have 2-4 new starters next year.
also, I had a thought yesterday watching some of the catches WRs were making, in that I think Nico throws a more "catchable" ball. Those 90mph off target fastballs from Milton are tougher to catch and angle towards. We've got some tall WRs coming back, and think there will be alot more competence in 50/50 balls next year w/ Nico!

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Also, I wouldn't be shocked if JH has plans to get Nico some meaningful PT in the bowl game...more than just mop-up duty. If he can put some good tape out there, it could help sway some talented portal WR and OL to give us a stronger look? At this point, it's all about selling the future vision of 3 years w/ Nico!

I am just not sure why he would participate as a junior and then decide to come back. My guess is he is done playing and possibly looking at getting into coaching.
As another poster remembered, Warren also participated in last season’s Senior Day then returned. Maybe it’s a “just in case”?

I was impressed with Nicos play against Vandy, quick decision and accurate throws so I sincerely disagree with you. I think we have a heck of a passing attack in 2024.
Nico 3 pts
Joe 45 pts

Yes Joe played more but, Nico put up 3 pts in the 4th qtr. Nice, but not impressive

Nico 3 pts
Joe 45 pts

Yes Joe played more but, Nico put up 3 pts in the 4th qtr. Nice, but not impressive

To be fair to Iamaleava, he almost certainly would have added a touchdown had the clock not necessitated Moore be put in. He also had a touchdown pass dropped by a young receiver.

EDIT: And Pat Ryan, who knows something about quarterbacking, was quite impressed by the things Iamaleava showed during his brief time in the game.

Last edited:
Do you think CJH has a thing for Gaston Moore since he was an underdog QB himself? Think he'll keep the QB competition open? Could explain a lot with Nico playing this season.
It will unequivocably be Nico’s job next year and if we learned anything from Heiple dealings with Milton… Nico would have to be hurt to lose the job. But, that is of course always a real possibility playing in the SEC. My guess would be that Moore will be the number two quarterback entering next season.

also, I had a thought yesterday watching some of the catches WRs were making, in that I think Nico throws a more "catchable" ball. Those 90mph off target fastballs from Milton are tougher to catch and angle towards. We've got some tall WRs coming back, and think there will be alot more competence in 50/50 balls next year w/ Nico!
I agree plus his quicker decision making/release gets the ball there earlier than the JM fastball.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I am just not sure why he would participate as a junior and then decide to come back. My guess is he is done playing and possibly looking at getting into coaching.
He might be looking at a Grad Transfer if he can go to a reputable school with good odds of starting. Probably just keeping his options open, he can still come back even though he went through Senior day, nothing binding about it, just a ceremony.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Also want to add, a QB competition always makes both better.
There should always be competition at every position. It makes everyone better, like somebody earlier said when the practices are tougher than the games we will be on the road to competing for championships. We have to continue to push very hard in strength and conditioning that is where championship teams are made. We need more players that care and aren’t afraid to lead. We have to grow up as a team we are not very disciplined as we have to quit doing some of the same senseless penalties. Baron has really improved overall but good grief there is no reason to line up off sides that much. We have to become a smarter tougher more disciplined team. The teams that win championships are fast talented and very physical upfront on both sides of the ball. And have very good tough minded fast processing quarterbacks.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back