PSA: Please do not boo if in attendance Saturday.

I respectfully disagree with this notion that supporting your team is considered coddling. It's just the appropriate thing to do. This also has nothing to do with free speech, but I like how you tied this to politics somehow. Sure, you CAN boo if you want, but my post was asking people not to boo. The act of boo'ing also doesn't make anyone tough. So that's silly. This has nothing to do with protecting someone's feelings. There is simply a right and wrong way to handle this situation, in my opinion, and trashing your own player is the wrong way.
I never said supporting your team was coddling and I never mentioned a name of any player, and as far as the political reference you mentioned I was saying rewarding players or coaches or colleagues or whomever with praise should be earned not expected. Now as for me I played for coach Fulmer and am still around the program on a weekly basis, so no I'd never boo any player on the team because of my close relationship to them but all I'm saying is different generations react differently to certain situations and this generation we're currently in are full of young adults who wear their emotions on their sleeves and get upset over any type of criticism. I commend you for asking grown adults to not boo at a sporting event and I really do understand where your coming from and I agree with you but nobody thinks booing makes them feel tough it's them showing their feelings towards the situation.
Go Vols

I never said supporting your team was coddling and I never mentioned a name of any player, and as far as the political reference you mentioned I was saying rewarding players or coaches or colleagues or whomever with praise should be earned not expected. Now as for me I played for coach Fulmer and am still around the program on a weekly basis, so no I'd never boo any player on the team because of my close relationship to them but all I'm saying is different generations react differently to certain situations and this generation we're currently in are full of young adults who wear their emotions on their sleeves and get upset over any type of criticism. I commend you for asking grown adults to not boo at a sporting event and I really do understand where your coming from and I agree with you but nobody thinks booing makes them feel tough it's them showing their feelings towards the situation.
Go Vols

Completely fair. I tend to agree that this generation, potentially my generation depending where you cut the line off at, is soft. So I'm not going to argue that point. I just believe there are productive and counterproductive actions made by the fans. If this was a professional sporting event, I'd be perfectly fine with any expression of displeasure. But in a sport where free agency doesn't legally exist and is heavily dependent on your ability to convince young men to play for your school of their own accord, I do not believe boo'ing your own team helps them to reclaim prominence. Personally, I believe it's trashy, but it's a free country as many said, so if those adults want to verbally express their displeasure more power to them. It's just different from how I would hope Vol fans would conduct themselves.

Booing is a reactionary emotion by you as a consumer that is produced by a bad financial decision when the product is unsatisfactory.

Make the more wise financial decision and don’t go because you know Pruit will play JG. It will (1) save the attendees from getting there jimmies rustled by your antics, (2) ensure you have a more productive and satisfying weekend and (3) it’ll make more of an impact to the AD than your measly “boo” could ever do.

You booing could potentially cost us recruits.. I’m sure booing will make you feel really good about yourself, so I’m sorry, but I think it will be worth your sacrifice

Recruits are not that fragile. If you play the game you get hard coaching and harsh criticism. If players cant handle that this not not be the place for them. 85 kids work their ass off and you screw that up expect both. Do so on a regular basis then expect it on a regular basis. Fans and coaches treat you the way you train. Them to.

I figured this could use a thread rather than getting lost in the shuffle of so many different conversations. I know many of you all are disappointed in the performance of Jarret Guarantano this season, myself included, but there are rumblings of fans boo'ing JG should he step on the field as our QB this weekend. I implore those in attendance to not do so no matter how angry at the decision. At the end of the day, Pruitt is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If Maurer is concussed and cannot play, Pruitt has two choices. He can either start Shrout or JG. That's it. There is no better option. And if Pruitt thinks JG is the better choice to give us a fighting chance, so be it. Boo'ing has never, and will never, accomplish anything. It doesn't make the team play better and it doesn't change the decision the coaching staff made. It just sends the complete wrong message to recruits in attendance. Don't be part of the problem. Don't be trashy. That's the nicest way I can put it. Support the team, or don't go. Go Vols.
MYOFB

Venmo me the cost of my ticket and then you can tell me if I'm allowed to boo, by all means.
I am willing to bet you have never played a physical sport in your life. If you had you would have too much class to do that. You would understand the work and sacrifice JG put in to football to get to this level. Is he great NO! But you couldn't carry his jock. If you even know what that is. I will buy your ticket from you if you will NEVER step foot inside a stadium where TN is playing.

Reactions: 1967vol
Recruits are not that fragile. If you play the game you get hard coaching and harsh criticism. If players cant handle that this not not be the place for them. 85 kids work their ass off and you screw that up expect both. Do so on a regular basis then expect it on a regular basis. Fans and coaches treat you the way you train. Them to.
So your stance is that booing college kids in their home stadium is cool?

So your stance is that booing college kids in their home stadium is cool?
Is that what you took away from my post? If so I don't know what to tell you.

The expected takeaway was that fans and coaches react to a person or situation they way a player trains them to. We are creatures of habit and in the case of Gitmo he has trained both fans and coaches to lower expectations when he gets on the field. People can see the difference in a tangible way the team performs between him and "insert name here". It's sad that such a talented guy has has had just an unfortunate turn of events.

I am willing to bet you have never played a physical sport in your life. If you had you would have too much class to do that. You would understand the work and sacrifice JG put in to football to get to this level. Is he great NO! But you couldn't carry his jock. If you even know what that is. I will buy your ticket from you if you will NEVER step foot inside a stadium where TN is playing.
I bet he played, but before participating got confused with winning

I don't know what it is with JG , he still is probably the better QB between these two. Probably going to see both of them in this game i'm afraid. Muschamp knows how to make things difficult. That and his DB's hold tug and grab all game long.

Completely fair. I tend to agree that this generation, potentially my generation depending where you cut the line off at, is soft. So I'm not going to argue that point. I just believe there are productive and counterproductive actions made by the fans. If this was a professional sporting event, I'd be perfectly fine with any expression of displeasure. But in a sport where free agency doesn't legally exist and is heavily dependent on your ability to convince young men to play for your school of their own accord, I do not believe boo'ing your own team helps them to reclaim prominence. Personally, I believe it's trashy, but it's a free country as many said, so if those adults want to verbally express their displeasure more power to them. It's just different from how I would hope Vol fans would conduct themselves.
Good post fan, I definitely agree with you

VN Store

Back