PSA: Please do not boo if in attendance Saturday.

I’ve never seen a player be more detrimental to a program than JG. I believe in supporting a team, but If JG steps foot on the field, you better believe I’m booing. And it’s directed at the coaching staff if they’re that stupid too put him in.
Absolutely ridiculous. We literally have players that have committed felonies while in school. He's not even in the same zip code as far as being detrimental. His crime is not being good enough on some bad teams.

Reactions: irish1485 and Behr
I’ve never seen a player be more detrimental to a program than JG. I believe in supporting a team, but If JG steps foot on the field, you better believe I’m booing. And it’s directed at the coaching staff if they’re that stupid too put him in.

I'm sure it'll help and no doubt you'll look and sound cool.

Don't be part of the problem.
Don't be trashy.
Support the team, or don't go.
All three statements are imperative

The imperative form is used to give orders, commands, warnings, instructions, or to make requests. Given that the OP began by imploring fans, I contend that I am likely correct in my interpretation of his closing as relates to his intent. I concede that I will not sway you, VolFanatic27, or others disposed to view the OP differently.

Reactions: VolFanatic27
@The Ron Mexico, I will not boo my alma mater's team, even if and when they may do something to merit consternation. If I have a bone to pick, I will do so privately, addressing the appropriate leadership. Does this soften your view of me somewhat, or am I still a sphincter in your eyes?

I figured this could use a thread rather than getting lost in the shuffle of so many different conversations. I know many of you all are disappointed in the performance of Jarret Guarantano this season, myself included, but there are rumblings of fans boo'ing JG should he step on the field as our QB this weekend. I implore those in attendance to not do so no matter how angry at the decision. At the end of the day, Pruitt is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If Maurer is concussed and cannot play, Pruitt has two choices. He can either start Shrout or JG. That's it. There is no better option. And if Pruitt thinks JG is the better choice to give us a fighting chance, so be it. Boo'ing has never, and will never, accomplish anything. It doesn't make the team play better and it doesn't change the decision the coaching staff made. It just sends the complete wrong message to recruits in attendance. Don't be part of the problem. Don't be trashy. That's the nicest way I can put it. Support the team, or don't go. Go Vols.

I think he will start Shroud and play him until he falters then bring in JG. No way JG deserves to start. Fans should be happy with that because what else can you do? If he trots him out there to open the game he would not be protecting his player.

I’m not reading them as commands, they ARE commands. All three statements are imperative, and that’s not a perception, just a fact. The way they are stated I “perceive” to be a bit insulting and said in a superior tone. But, that’s my opinion. I understand your interpretation as well, I just don’t agree.

I can't help it if you "perceive" my original post imploring fans to be fans as me having a superiority complex. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. So if you're perceiving my post as me being "superior" then maybe that right there tells you all you need to know about whether or not boo'ing is generally something people deem as acceptable behavior.

Well I'm part of a different generation with far different views than what is currently being forced upon everyone, a generation where not everyone got a trophy and was rewarded by how you handled business on and off the field, anyone sulking, crying, whining or just flat out not listening was handled in a certain kind of way, none of this coddling or afraid to hurt feelings crap that is currently on full display everywhere you look. With that being said booing a player on the team you support isn't really a good look but whoever wants to has all the right in world to do just that, this used to be a free country where you had a right to free speach but now it's where you have a right to free speach as long as you say the right things so nobody's feelings get hurt. I would never boo but everyone has their own right to do what they want

Reactions: Kristy*
So you don’t think these kids are smart enough to think for themselves and that they don’t know what rogue and selfish act he’s guilty of? Ha. Do you think any recruit or his own teammates want to play with him after what he did? In upward or pee wee the first lesson is it’s a team game and put the team first. What if he takes that action when he’s employed someday? He obviously has a set the size of churchbells so being booed may make him produce more

Its gonna happen. Not sure why anyone bothers to write out these posts. I will be booing from my livingroom lol.

Reactions: wesley21
Well I'm part of a different generation with far different views than what is currently being forced upon everyone, a generation where not everyone got a trophy and was rewarded by how you handled business on and off the field, anyone sulking, crying, whining or just flat out not listening was handled in a certain kind of way, none of this coddling or afraid to hurt feelings crap that is currently on full display everywhere you look. With that being said booing a player on the team you support isn't really a good look but whoever wants to has all the right in world to do just that, this used to be a free country where you had a right to free speach but now it's where you have a right to free speach as long as you say the right things so nobody's feelings get hurt. I would never boo but everyone has their own right to do what they want

I respectfully disagree with this notion that supporting your team is considered coddling. It's just the appropriate thing to do. This also has nothing to do with free speech, but I like how you tied this to politics somehow. Sure, you CAN boo if you want, but my post was asking people not to boo. The act of boo'ing also doesn't make anyone tough. So that's silly. This has nothing to do with protecting someone's feelings. There is simply a right and wrong way to handle this situation, in my opinion, and trashing your own player is the wrong way.

No reason to boo JG, he tries I am sure as hard as he can, he is young and wishes to succeed. Mistakes yes, poor decisions sure, at his age who hasn't done the same.or worse.

I can't help it if you "perceive" my original post imploring fans to be fans as me having a superiority complex. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. So if you're perceiving my post as me being "superior" then maybe that right there tells you all you need to know about whether or not boo'ing is generally something people deem as acceptable behavior.
I’m not arguing the point of whether or not boo’ing is “acceptable” behavior. But, have you been to many sporting events? LOTS of boo’ing at most I’ve been to. It’s not as if you can stand up and say “hey coach, I don’t agree with that, I feel very strongly that you shouldn’t have done that”. So, what outlet do fans have to express their displeasure? The classic “boo”. Now, I won’t be doing it at any of our players-especially not JG as the last thing he (or our team) needs is one more hit to his confidence-but I certainly won’t be calling anyone trashy who expresses their disappointment at CJP starting a QB who has cost us as many big moments as JG has. It’s not my place to. So, in a nutshell: I agree with you, but if you want to convince others wording like that won’t do it.

I will boo if we don't wear orange pants. But I'll carry a sign making it clear why I am booing.

Just kidding, I'm not making a sign, I can't even read.

Reactions: DaddyChad
This isn't the NFL. It's college athletics. These are 18-21 year old kids where 95% of this roster will not make it at the next level. They pour their blood, sweat, and tears into the program even when they fail. Listening to people try to explain why boo'ing kids is acceptable is just disappointing. Which leads me to my next point....

There is no nuance to boos. A boo is a boo is a boo, as they say. You cannot in real time explain the subtext to your boo. All the players hear are the boos raining down on them. It's all the same. Even if you're boo'ing the coaches, the players only hear you boo'ing their teammate.

Very nice post

One person booing (so long as he isn't around the recruits) will not cost us recruits but several thousand doing it will.

No reason to boo JG, he tries I am sure as hard as he can, he is young and wishes to succeed. Mistakes yes, poor decisions sure, at his age who hasn't done the same.or worse.

The premise being thrown around is that he called his own number without authority and blew the game. If thats true it goes way past trying hard and making a mistake. If its not true the coach is not doing him any favors by concealing what happened. Air needs to be cleared before the next game, clear the air and move on.

Boo

Not that the kids can tell the difference, but i would hypothosize that the intent of at least some of the boo birds is that they would say that they are booing the Coaches for putting JG in.

But like I say, it all sounds the same for the kids and i am sure is very demoralizing.

I pay my hard earned scrap metal money for tickets, I have the right to boo and wave my bare ass at any player I want.

Got a problem with that meet me at Hardees and we'll fight in real life.

I’m not arguing the point of whether or not boo’ing is “acceptable” behavior. But, have you been to many sporting events? LOTS of boo’ing at most I’ve been to. It’s not as if you can stand up and say “hey coach, I don’t agree with that, I feel very strongly that you shouldn’t have done that”. So, what outlet do fans have to express their displeasure? The classic “boo”. Now, I won’t be doing it at any of our players-especially not JG as the last thing he (or our team) needs is one more hit to his confidence-but I certainly won’t be calling anyone trashy who expresses their disappointment at CJP starting a QB who has cost us as many big moments as JG has. It’s not my place to. So, in a nutshell: I agree with you, but if you want to convince others wording like that won’t do it.

I have season tickets to Tennessee football and Tennessee basketball, so yes I have been to my fair share of sporting events. I have also attended a fair number of MLB, NFL, NBA games in my life. To me, there is a distinct difference between boo'ing professional athletes making millions of dollars and boo'ing student athletes.

I figured this could use a thread rather than getting lost in the shuffle of so many different conversations. I know many of you all are disappointed in the performance of Jarret Guarantano this season, myself included, but there are rumblings of fans boo'ing JG should he step on the field as our QB this weekend. I implore those in attendance to not do so no matter how angry at the decision. At the end of the day, Pruitt is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If Maurer is concussed and cannot play, Pruitt has two choices. He can either start Shrout or JG. That's it. There is no better option. And if Pruitt thinks JG is the better choice to give us a fighting chance, so be it. Boo'ing has never, and will never, accomplish anything. It doesn't make the team play better and it doesn't change the decision the coaching staff made. It just sends the complete wrong message to recruits in attendance. Don't be part of the problem. Don't be trashy. That's the nicest way I can put it. Support the team, or don't go. Go Vols.

It appears that a lot of people are taking your suggestion, and staying home. I’m not sure that is better than booing.

The premise being thrown around is that he called his own number without authority and blew the game. If thats true it goes way past trying hard and making a mistake. If its not true the coach is not doing him any favors by concealing what happened. Air needs to be cleared before the next game, clear the air and move on.
Mistakes are endemic with younger people, somewhat less so at my age. He didn't blow the game, Alabama is a much better team, we performed above expectations. Good for us.

Reactions: IPleadInsanity
It appears that a lot of people are taking your suggestion, and staying home. I’m not sure that is better than booing.

I assure you Neyland will not have trouble filling up the stadium one week after this team fought tooth and nail in Tuscaloosa against the #1 team in the nation and made us proud. If the boo birds are staying home, I say we're better off for it. Someone else will replace their boo's with cheers which is preferred--and much more useful.

Reactions: J/Psi Meson

VN Store

Back