Pruitt's post game message for TN fans

I do know the players are playing hard, but we're still 30 points behind Bama. 20 points behind Ga, Florida and possibly aTm.
Oh I forgot were 20 points behind Kentucky.
Well get their eventually. Hopefully one day we will be back to where we were in the 90's . We were a factory for the NFL pumping out great players.
One day, one day.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
He really has 3 jobs. Hire and manage a staff, fix the D, and manage the QB position.

He appeared to succeed on the first one only to handcuff them. The D looks worse and for threes straight games has been shredding down the middle. His management of the QB position is terrible. He appeared to do well last year but if they seriously don't have a better option than JG... then what's he been doing for 3 years and why didn't they go after a guy like D'Eriq King?

This is probably the most mind numbing part of this season and last.

Most head coaches want " their guy " at QB as soon as possible.

Yet Pruitt is hellbent on clinging to a Jones recruit in JG.

And whats even worse is that this team looks worse with more of Pruitts guys in here than last season.

He's glad he has guaranteed money from UT. He could take a dump in a paper bag on the sidelines and his family is set for life. No matter how much embarrassment he brings UT
There is little incentive for him to get us out of this mess since it is going to pay the same or at mimimim pay very well.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well....let's unpack that. Why are guys who succeeded everywhere else not successful here?

1. Facilities? Top 10 facilities in the country. That is not an issue
2. Environment? SEC environment, large stadium, passionate fan base. Not an issue either
3. Talent? Given, first two years he had limited talent and a team that had to change their attitudes. He now has 3 recruiting classes in, and is on his 3rd year of changing the locker room and developing players. Not done either, and there was no talent gap with UK that was detrimental to us. Talent is there.
4. Head coach? Maybe that is it. Stubborn? Won't listen to his staff? Forces his decisions? Hard to work with? I do not know, but this is a variable that could be causing this
5. AD? Not an issue for failure. He has all the support he needs to be successful in the athletic department.

So, if it is not issues within the coaching staff and possibly with Pruitt and how he handles his staff, what other causes do you have?
IMO it is Pruitt. I'm not going to say that assistants are or are not "good" if I don't know. Chaney is very good. Ansley has a really good resume. The position coaches mostly do what position coaches do across college football. The things I believe are holding this team back right now... are on Pruitt.

His infatuation with JG is inexplicable. It isn't always what he "does". Today, we saw what he can "do". The issue is what he cannot do... and the fact that what he can do is nowhere near enough. If you have a QB with a ceiling as low as JG's appears to be... you have to give another guy a REAL shot.... like maybe 50% of the forgiveness and support JG has gotten this season.

Pruitt was supposed to be a defensive guru.

IMO, his interference in the O has resulted in a team averaging around 20 ppg. They're now allowing over 30 ppg... and would still be high 20's without the fumble and INT TD's they've given up.

Reactions: Volsonyourface
The gap is nowhere near close. He watched another game. We are weaker and can’t tackle. Our line is overrated. RB’s can’t break tackles. He is sugarcoating this 💩 show.
Typical coach speak. No way everyone is bought in to the program at this time.

IMO it is Pruitt. I'm not going to say that assistants are or are not "good" if I don't know. Chaney is very good. Ansley has a really good resume. The position coaches mostly do what position coaches do across college football. The things I believe are holding this team back right now... are on Pruitt.

His infatuation with JG is inexplicable. It isn't always what he "does". Today, we saw what he can "do". The issue is what he cannot do... and the fact that what he can do is nowhere near enough. If you have a QB with a ceiling as low as JG's appears to be... you have to give another guy a REAL shot.... like maybe 50% of the forgiveness and support JG has gotten this season.

Pruitt was supposed to be a defensive guru.

IMO, his interference in the O has resulted in a team averaging around 20 ppg. They're now allowing over 30 ppg... and would still be high 20's without the fumble and INT TD's they've given up.

I wouldn't say that Chaney is very good. His play calling is suspect and his recruiting is terrible. Some of the assistant coaches need to be released imo. Will friend has done very little with a stacked line. Weinke is in over his head and his recruiting isn't very good either. Pruitt may be limiting them but let's not act like the assistants are without blame.

In terms of recruiting Jc was 68th out of 131 sec assistants in recruiting. Weinke was 103rd last year.

I don’t think his recruiting is complete $hit. He’s looking at bringing in a very good class this year. That’s not his biggest problem area.
The play on the field is lagging behind the recruiting!
It’s sloppy, undisciplined and doesn’t execute like a well coached team is expected to do.
Until that changes we will continue as is

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I guess we're better than Missouri but worse than Kentucky.
We're heading in the right direction, which ever direction that is.

So, I watched the whole interview. And here's my take.

Pruitt doesn't seem to be concerned about winning "now." I think he wants to win now, but I think he believes more in "the process" than he does in getting immediate results by trotting out the most athletic guy who's yet to pay his dues.

I'm gathering that Pruitt believes by forcing the younger guys to wait, or to "earn the right to play," even if they are more talented, it will make for a hungrier and more disciplined ball player when he finally allows those guys to take the field. And, as fans, we'll just have to wait until he gets a roster of at least two-deep in mature talent that performs as a complete unit before we're allowed to see it. Stated otherwise, I think he believes he's building a "Bama" or a "Clemson," not another LSU.

Let me be clear, I'm not defending Pruitt, and if you've read some of my more recent posts you'll see that I've lost a lot of faith in this staff recently (COVID or no COVID). However, if I'm right about my perception, get ready for another season of disappointment.

Pruitt has message for Tennessee fans after Alabama loss

Well....since he assures us I feel better now about a 31 point loss.

He should have pulled JG after the GA collapse. We’ve seen the same thing with JG for years now-inconsistency! If JG played against UK the way he played today we’re 3-2. If Pruitt sticks with JG as his starter the remainder of the year he’ll lose most of the fan base, if he hasn’t already. What makes Pruitt look so bad now is the manner in which he lost to a bad UK team at home. It was inexcusable. There is no gap in talent between TN & UK. 3-2 is a whole lot better than 2-3.

I want to support him but am very concerned with the direction of the program. Really, really, desperately wanted Fulmer to get this hire right and now I’m not sure he did. We imploded in the 2nd half @GA, looked lifeless against a lesser talented opponent in UK and got steamrolled again by Bama. It is alarming to anyone who cares about TN Football for a guy midway through his 3rd year. A good coach, almost always, when they first take over a program does more with less as their building their culture, recruiting their players. Like Indiana today, like Rutgers today. Both coaches did more with less. Neither were expected to win but they did.

Last edited:
So, I watched the whole interview. And here's my take.

Pruitt doesn't seem to be concerned about winning "now." I think he wants to win now, but I think he believes more in "the process" than he does in getting immediate results by trotting out the most athletic guy who's yet to pay his dues.

I'm gathering that Pruitt believes by forcing the younger guys to wait, or to "earn the right to play," even if they are more talented, it will make for a hungrier and more disciplined ball player when he finally allows those guys to take the field. And, as fans, we'll just have to wait until he gets a roster of at least two-deep in mature talent that performs as a complete unit before we're allowed to see it. Stated otherwise, I think he believes he's building a "Bama" or a "Clemson," not another LSU.

Let me be clear, I'm not defending Pruitt, and if you've read some of my more recent posts you'll see that I've lost a lot of faith in this staff recently (COVID or no COVID). However, if I'm right about my perception, get ready for another season of disappointment.
So his logic is to start from scratch every year? This is the perfect year to prepare for the future. It’s always said that the extra practices gained from making a bowl are crucial for player development. Since this season is basically a wash and no bowl game guaranteed. Just try to get a leg up on next year and use it for player development.

VN Store

Back