Pruitt Vs. Leach - Approval Poll

Who do you prefer as head coach of the 2018 Volunteers?

• Total voters
Yep.

Leach is the most interesting coach in football to me.
Totally agree. Been a fan of his since he was at KY. With help from an knowledgeable AD, and the stipulation he turn the defense over to an established DC, he could be dangerous to everyone in the conference. As I said, Pruitt will be more consistent long term, but Leach can outscore anybody on a given day. Perhaps a team with a fairly low ceiling, and good recruiting in their backyard is exactly the right place for him. We'll all overlook him, until we can't anymore. I'm glad he is in the West, so he and Kiffin can be thorns in Bama's side.

Totally agree. Been a fan of his since he was at KY. With help from an knowledgeable AD, and the stipulation he turn the defense over to an established DC, he could be dangerous to everyone in the conference. As I said, Pruitt will be more consistent long term, but Leach can outscore anybody on a given day. Perhaps a team with a fairly low ceiling, and good recruiting in their backyard is exactly the right place for him. We'll all overlook him, until we can't anymore. I'm glad he is in the West, so he and Kiffin can be thorns in Bama's side.
Thats the big key. He won't out recruit Bama, LSU, AU or A&M but if he is able to do that, he can apply some legit pressure to them with what he can get to State.

The state of Mississippi did well. They now have 2 coaches at their schools that at worst will score points and be intriguing in the media.

Its just evident to me that we are a really good QB away from competing for championships. The play calling was a little concerning, but we have the right goals in place and the formula is correct. Leach may have gotten us a QB faster! But would he have gotten top 10 recruiting classes, a staff as talented as ours and a defense as good as ours was even last year and probably will be under Pruitt? No.

That's all true, but Leach proved yesterday that he doesn't need a top 10 recruiting class to beat a championship-caliber team. I'm pro-Pruitt. I'd of taken him over Leach before and I would take him over Leach today, but Leach earned my respect Saturday. It'll be interesting to see if it was fluke or not.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Thats the big key. He won't out recruit Bama, LSU, AU or A&M but if he is able to do that, he can apply some legit pressure to them with what he can get to State.

The state of Mississippi did well. They now have 2 coaches at their schools that at worst will score points and be intriguing in the media.
And Deion Sanders is the new coach at Jackson State.

Reactions: BeecherVol
That's all true, but Leach proved yesterday that he doesn't need a top 10 recruiting class to beat a championship-caliber team. I'm pro-Pruitt. I'd of taken him over Leach before and I would take him over Leach today, but Leach earned my respect Saturday. It'll be interesting to see if it was fluke or not.
LSU was not a championship caliber team on saturday.

Reactions: tnutater and BDP!
LSU was not a championship caliber team on saturday.
MSU gets no credit for knocking them off their game? LSU is the defending national champions and one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country. It was an impressive victory. No other way to slice it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MSU gets no credit to knocking them off their game? LSU is the defending national champions and one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country. It was an impressive victory. No other way to slice it.
They are not top 5 talented with all of the opt outs.

How many NC does Mike Leach have? How many has he played for? The guy is an outstanding offensive coach, not going to argue that. But he was playing a completely decimated LSU team in 25% full stadium. you put Stingley on the field and have the game at night in a packed Tiger stadium, I don’t think it would unfold the same way. And that’s going to be a common theme this year with so many uncertainties week to week.

The LSU win was a good win, but I’ll reserve my judgement on him for now.

in 19 seasons, Leach has had two "great" seasons, and in both, he blew games against his biggest rival that would have won him the conference.

Great offensive coach, but most of the time meaningless yards and no actual hardware.

MSU gets no credit for knocking them off their game? LSU is the defending national champions and one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country. It was an impressive victory. No other way to slice it.
Didn't say they get not credit. Just saying the people crowning leach over Pruitt is premature.

Happy with Pruitt. Probably would have been happy with Leach. Especially over oh no Schiano

No thanks...our track record hiring coaches makes sticking with a known quantity to be the smart play. The last thing UT ever needs to intentionally be involved in is a coaching search. Perhaps we should set it up like Royal succession. Either let it pass by birthright, or let the out-going coach appoint his successor.

I'm kidding. Halfway.
I forgot the blue font

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
I find our fan base to be one of the most creative-thinking group of people on the planet. There is no scenario I can think of where Pruitt would be a better hire than Leach.

Aside from sounding like an idiot (tickled. He is head coach in the most competitive conference in all of football, and after a win he's...tickled). Pruitt has worked with the same QB now for two years- recruiting others and working with them along the way - and he's starting the best option he has (apparently) who still stares down receivers and is wildly inaccurate.

Leach drops into town in YEAR 1, brings a transfer from Stanford who hadn't started an entire season yet and drops over 600 YARDS PASSING ON THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

We can create all the caveats we want: Leach is hot and cold and was hot. LSU graduated a bunch of starters. LSU wasn't champion quality Saturday. Leach will never beat Bama. Blah Blah Blah.

LSU had a championship season, all while the coaching staff is preparing the next group to step in (they didn't start 22 freshman on Saturday) and they recruit really well. And Mike Leach convinced MISS STATE PLAYERS that they can beat LSU and coached them to execute at a level of precision most of us would kill for at Tennessee. and that was GAME ONE.

So, Yeah. Leach is a better coach. Leach couldn't have had a better week one in the SEC (remember when people here said his method would never work in the SEC???). Meanwhile, we will all hope that JG could have half the success Costello had against Mizzou this week. Once again, I'm jealous of other SEC schools who seem to know how to hire damn head coaches. I'm also glad Leach is in the West.

IF we cant have the Pirate, I'm still tickled as hell that he's in the conference. Great burst of fresh air and entertainment!

Lane who?

I find our fan base to be one of the most creative-thinking group of people on the planet. There is no scenario I can think of where Pruitt would be a better hire than Leach.

Aside from sounding like an idiot (tickled. He is head coach in the most competitive conference in all of football, and after a win he's...tickled). Pruitt has worked with the same QB now for two years- recruiting others and working with them along the way - and he's starting the best option he has (apparently) who still stares down receivers and is wildly inaccurate.

Leach drops into town in YEAR 1, brings a transfer from Stanford who hadn't started an entire season yet and drops over 600 YARDS PASSING ON THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

We can create all the caveats we want: Leach is hot and cold and was hot. LSU graduated a bunch of starters. LSU wasn't champion quality Saturday. Leach will never beat Bama. Blah Blah Blah.

LSU had a championship season, all while the coaching staff is preparing the next group to step in (they didn't start 22 freshman on Saturday) and they recruit really well. And Mike Leach convinced MISS STATE PLAYERS that they can beat LSU and coached them to execute at a level of precision most of us would kill for at Tennessee. and that was GAME ONE.

So, Yeah. Leach is a better coach. Leach couldn't have had a better week one in the SEC (remember when people here said his method would never work in the SEC???). Meanwhile, we will all hope that JG could have half the success Costello had against Mizzou this week. Once again, I'm jealous of other SEC schools who seem to know how to hire damn head coaches. I'm also glad Leach is in the West.
It’s a long season let it play out.

In Leach's first game as head coach in the SEC he did some things Pruitt hasn't done yet. He got a big time signature win against a top rated program (on the road in Death Valley nonetheless). Pruitt's two biggest wins came against an Auburn team that ended up 8-5 and playing in the Music City Bowl and Kentucky (I'm sorry, but no I will never call a win against Kentucky a signature win.... ever).
Leach also became the first head coach in 42 years to defeat the defending national champ on opening day.

Before anyone chimes in with, "yeah but look what Pruitt inherited",... Leach inherited MISSISSIPPI F'ing STATE. A team who's wins last year feature these powerhouse programs:
4-8 Ole Piss (fired head coach)
2-10 Arky (fired head coach)
UL (not that UL, the other one)
Southern Miss (this may be their most impressive win)
Abilene School for the Blind
and dum duh duh da.... Kensucky

Leach would of been great at UT. I'm convinced he isn't here cuz he's just weird. Kind of embarrassing. Adds a clownish weird vibe to whatever team he coaches. I personally like his weirdness...but I think we were too embarrassed to hire him. In the opinion of the powers that be at UT.. It woulda made us look weird imo. Also a huge reason to hire Pruitt imo was his recruiting prowess....which Leach doesn't have. I'm sorry but I can't not like Leach. What he did against LSU was impressive....but for some reason he continued to choke against Washington. I don't get that and it's a definite knock against him.

LOL You Leach guys cool your jets. There is no way LSU is the same team as last year. I believe they returned 3 starters from last years team. SMH Leach is more trouble than he is worth. Just sit back, relax, and watch what happens off the field.
Im waiting for something to happen on the field in Knoxville that would prove our coach is better than Miss State's coach.

I watched the LSU Vs MSU game today...tied up with 9 minutes left. LSU playing 18 new starters had a number issues but overall looked like the better team...the officials overturned a MSU fumble (And it was a fumble) or LSU has the ball inside of MSU’s 40 and unlike MSU, LSU could run and pass...congrats to MSU on a great win but they are gonna struggle with no run game and an average OL. Their D was pretty good but they had some really lucky plays (which is always good to have). If their OL doesn’t protect better their QB might not make it thru the season - he took some shots Saturday.

I'll bet that Leach wouldn't be trotting JG out every game for the past 10 years....he would have a much better QB.

VN Store

Back