Pruitt not benching JG. Says he’s the best QB on the roster

This whole debacle isn’t all JG’s fault. We went for it on 4th and 1 twice and failed (coulda kicked 2 FG’s and added to our lead). Our defense is horrible, we are getting gashed on the ground and in the air. We literally ran the gas out of our RB’s and it showed late in the game. Where’s plays to the TE? We rarely throw vertically...now does JG have issues? YES!!! But I’m sure he’s shown in practice why he’s out there and not the other 2 guys

Reactions: k-town_king
I’m telling you guys. DONT BELIVE THAT THE YOUNG GUYS ARE REALLY THAT BAD! It could actually be just the opposite. They are both better and if he lets the better of the 2 backups play he may lose HB. Neither of them will play this season outside of injury to JG regardless of the outcome and if that’s not obvious now then it never will be.

Then Pruitt has likely sealed his fate. Not because he isn’t benching JG now, but because he failed to recruit over him.
He has Mauer, How can he recruit over a Jr and this is his Second season. He has Harrison Bailey committed. JG will be in the transfer portal next year. Is Pruitts guy....JT was committed with Lyle.

This whole debacle isn’t all JG’s fault. We went for it on 4th and 1 twice and failed (coulda kicked 2 FG’s and added to our lead). Our defense is horrible, we are getting gashed on the ground and in the air. We literally ran the gas out of our RB’s and it showed late in the game. Where’s plays to the TE? We rarely throw vertically...now does JG have issues? YES!!! But I’m sure he’s shown in practice why he’s out there and not the other 2 guys
What game were you watching? The defense held BYU to 6 points before JG gave them a short field to work with. The defense will eventually get tired. Plus the defense is missing 4 starters. In hindsight we should've kicked the fg's, but you will not win games in the SEC scoring 3 points every trip to the redzone.

After talking to someone I know well and listening to Pruitt I think JG is the Qb that gives us the best chance to win. I think someone needs to sit down with JG, and tell him that he has to shake bad play off. The first half he played pretty good and then poof. Hopefully the rest of the team will also improve as the season goes. I still have confidence in the team and staff. Now is the time to keep pushing and keep getting better. Hopefully JG and the Vols will get out in front and the young qb's will at least get some live reps. GBO!

Ok, but so you know.... And if you don’t let me remind you.

JG was also an elite 11 finalist..

Sure you want to stick with this argument?

Yes he was Elite 11, and we were all looking forward to seeing him develop. Except he didn't.

He's had 4 years on campus as a SEC QB:
  • 6-14 record as starter, with wins over So Miss, ETSU, UTEP, Auburn, Charlotte, KY
  • 2-11 record in 13 conference starts
  • Threw a whopping 19 TDs in 20 starts
  • EIGHT starts where he threw ZERO TDs in the game
  • Rushed for that one single TD two years ago. Nothing since. (Peyton had 12 rushing TDs, for comparison)
  • Career -150 yards or so rushing. No mobility at all. Completely one-dimensional.
What he did five years ago at a high school camp is irrelevant at this point.

What game were you watching? The defense held BYU to 6 points before JG gave them a short field to work with. The defense will eventually get tired. Plus the defense is missing 4 starters. In hindsight we should've kicked the fg's, but you will not win games in the SEC scoring 3 points every trip to the redzone.
This , good grief people

No need in getting all emotional about it. But your whole argument started over Maurer being and elite 11 participant as your reasoning behind why he should get a look at QB. I pointed out that JG was also and Elite 11 participant.

If this argument is the one you really wanted to go with, maybe you should have started with it because I happen to agree with your latest modification of the conversation.
Glad you agree.

After talking to someone I know well and listening to Pruitt I think JG is the Qb that gives us the best chance to win. I think someone needs to sit down with JG, and tell him that he has to shake bad play off. The first half he played pretty good and then poof. Hopefully the rest of the team will also improve as the season goes. I still have confidence in the team and staff. Now is the time to keep pushing and keep getting better. Hopefully JG and the Vols will get out in front and the young qb's will at least get some live reps. GBO!

The problem is that the "bad play" has been going on for him across the greater part of 20 games or so. Hate to use the B word, but he keeps looking more and more like a bust the more games and older he gets.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Is McElroy allowed in TN team practices, how would he know what Maurer can identify?
The announcers sit down with the coaches the day before the game they call to get background info on the team so they are knowledgeable about what they're talking about on air. What they know is what the coaches tell them. Maybe they watched some of practice too.

Shake off bad play? LOL. JG is a lost cause atp.

Yes he was Elite 11, and we were all looking forward to seeing him develop. Except he didn't.

• 6-14 record as starter, with wins over So Miss, ETSU, UTEP, Auburn, Charlotte, KY
  • Rushed for that one single TD two years ago. Nothing since. (Peyton had 12 rushing TDs, for comparison)
  • Career -150 yards or so rushing. No mobility at all. Completely one-dimensional.
That was my point. Guess you missed it.....

You woulda won that game by kicking those FGs...seems like BYU’s defense didn’t get that tired and they’re not used to the heat. Missing 4 starters or not our D is skeptical. Easy to put it all on the QB but there’s more to it than that.

Reactions: k-town_king
So once again, we have people on here that know more than the coaches. The coaches run practice's everyday working with the players and they agree on who starts. But people in this forum know more than they do, calling the coaches idiots. This is what is wrong with our society. Stay in your lane people.
Practice means crap. He's throwing against air in practice. I could look like a Heisman contender doing that. The majority of people on here, and everyone else for that matter, can see JG does not have it in the he game, period.

Exactly

You woulda won that game by kicking those FGs...seems like BYU’s defense didn’t get that tired and they’re not used to the heat. Missing 4 starters or not our D is skeptical. Easy to put it all on the QB but there’s more to it than that.
In hindsight.....but everyone, except you knows that we are limited Offensively. The QB was missing wide open receivers, throwing the ball late, throwing ball into double and triple coverage. The coaches, the RB's, and the OL was not doing that. You may want to get a football book for dummies. Just so that you will know what is going on.

That means we are actually throwing the ball downfield..... I'm happy with that. But your premise isn't exactly smart. You're assuming that we would have a gameplan that would call for pass heavy with Maurer or Shrout for that matter.

Easiest way for them to get in a rhythm are rollouts and quick hitters and then taking an occasional shot down the field.

Of course will Maurer being mobile, it would incorporate zone reads and QB keepers.

I'd trust Chaney to not put him in a position where he'd risk throwing 5 picks. You're logic is based on us having an offensive staff that can't gameplan around a freshman QB. That's not true. History says otherwise.

And that is how Chaney turned Crompton from a JG type performer into one who had a respectable final few games in 2009, beginning with Georgia game.
It's the only thing I can hope for at this point.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
So he is a good practice QB and only panics during live games. Great!!!

VN Store

Back