Pruitt just said offensive coordinators are overrated

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the stuff he said about offensive coordinators really concerns me.
As Tennessee fans, we know better than anybody how important offensive playcalling is. Look at the Jones era. Playcalling can lose you games when you have the talent to win. I dont want another first time offensive coordinator. Look at how that worked out with Larry Scott.

CBJ's issue was not just play calling. It was his whole system and the fact that his players did not fit well into it. When your offense revolves around a read-option, and you don't have a mobile QB who is a threat to keep the ball, it becomes predictable and very easy to defend. My girlfriend was able to call out our plays before the snap

the only reason the words matter to the level you allow them to is because Butch Jones was a bad football coach. he could have called anyone he wanted life champions had he won the East in 15 and 16 and no one would care.

that he didn't, and continued to get worse at what he did, magnified anything/everything else he said as more evidence of "suck".

it's all TBD on pruitt. if we come back in 3 years and we're a bad football team, yeah, lol, we can come back here and say "that OC thing was pretty important".

until then, it's just a comment at a press conference where he wanted the focus to be on the players coming in to the program.
And waiting until the results are in to decide if what someone said is dumb... Is somehow better than what I'm doing?

How many players ( not starters but players) do we have that would start for Vandy or Missouri?

Again, please stop. I am not a good enough person to not swing at big fat slow softballs lobbed at me. So help me become a better person by not replying.

thanks and Merry Christmas to you and yours

Who cares? There you go.

Yes, and Butch Jones was trying to say that the seniors on his team had a great accomplishment off of the field and grew as men while at Tennessee when he called them life champions.

If we could just ignore what you say, and the implications of what you say, and instead look at what you meant, the world would be a much different place.

But alas, words actually matter. I hope that doesn't shock you too much.

It's not a narrative. Pruitt said the OC is "sometimes over rated". You can interpret that many ways, and that's why words matter.
Or you can use common sense and take it within the context of the conversation (then there's really no interpretation involved. Of course, you've got to have half of a brain to begin with). I know that's a novel idea to most of you. So carry on.

Reactions: Sara Clark
He also basically said that hiring an offensive coordinator isn't a priority. What do you guys make of that?

I'm throwing my BS flag on that comment. My question to Pruitt would be: Why is it that most often it's the OC that gets promoted to head coach? And why is that OC's are the highest paid coordinators??

And Lane Kiffin says Hello.

I dont care how smart you are, how you can scheme on the chalkboard, or how you can use the coach-speak, etc, if a coach cant motivate his players to play for him, he isnt worth a damn. That goes back long before Jeremy Pruitt was born. With 2018 as an example, he clearly has a problem motivating players. Shoop did with the same group also. Maybe the players werent very motivated (which i believe has been part of the issue) but JP clearly has to improve or get more motivated individuals in his program QUICK! Maybe he needs to rewatch ole Bear films of "playin for ya mommas and daddies" talks.
I'm pretty sure he's trying to do all of that. Problem is that some peoples version of QUICK is "NOW" and it just doesn't work that way.

Reactions: rocketskates
Here you go @GetYouSomeofThat and @volfannbama , this is another you can add to the list of those that want him fired. What's that, 7 or 8?

And Thorp, if you say you don't want him fired after what you just said Lol, good luck explaining it.
When 7 or 8 people out millions say something dumb, why even give it any attention?
Would also like to know if he was in favor of the hire and changed his mind after a year.

Depends on the coordinator. If you have a run, run, pass, punt type guy like Larry Scott then yes they are. If you have Mark Helfrich it’s a different story.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to do all of that. Problem is that some peoples version of QUICK is "NOW" and it just doesn't work that way.

I’m excited to see what he does with the kids that he’s bringing in. He’s made no secret that he will start the players that are the best. That’s a good form of motivation for an incoming freshman if you ask me.

Just curious. Haven’t seen the press conference. Did he actually say that OC’s were overrated or has VN paraphrased this into a big deal? SIAP, Haven’t searched 400 posts of opinion to see if it is a true statement or paraphrased.

Just curious. Haven’t seen the press conference. Did he actually say that OC’s were overrated or has VN paraphrased this into a big deal? SIAP, Haven’t searched 400 posts of opinion to see if it is a true statement or paraphrased.

Yes and yes to both

Well he is arguably one of the top defensive coordinators in the country. Since he has owned just about everyone in his career as a DC, he prolly thinks OC's are overrated lmao

Alabama owns everyone, every year, with whomever is their DC. The talent he has had with Bama, UGA and FSU was elite. That's why so many were anxious to see his D under less than ideal circumstances. I personally did not see much if any improvement on D this year.

When 7 or 8 people out millions say something dumb, why even give it any attention?
Would also like to know if he was in favor of the hire and changed his mind after a year.

Already been through all of that, next you'll want proof that they want him fired, was fine with the hire but changed their mind, on a Thursday afternoon before 4:13. When this started you just laughed and said no one wants Pruitt fired.

The whole point, which you miss more often than not, is not everyone thinks like you do and you're not always right. Not everyone thinks like me and I'm hardly ever right, but I know it. Lol.

Or you can use common sense and take it within the context of the conversation (then there's really no interpretation involved. Of course, you've got to have half of a brain to begin with). I know that's a novel idea to most of you. So carry on.
So you've never had a full conversation with someone and left wondering what they meant by something they said.

Huh. There's people that believe speech is what it is and has no interpretation. And those same people think they are smart for thinking that. Interesting.

are you sure you meant to say that?

"why wait, when i can be mad now!"

lol.
Are you making fun of objective thought now? Anyone can wait until after the fact to form an opinion on current events.

"I'll tell you what I think on the tax cuts in 5 years after we see what happens."

How bold. Lol

Pruitt is overrated.
Im not sure how he can be overrated as a HC when he is just getting started.
Any how a proven HC has not been hired in my lifetime. Its not the Tennessee way and its not working. Maybe when average attendance reaches 85000 they will wake up or they could do like movie theaters are doing and replace small seats with luxury big seats. A good way to reduce capacity and increase comfort.

Are you making fun of objective thought now? Anyone can wait until after the fact to form an opinion on current events.

"I'll tell you what I think on the tax cuts in 5 years after we see what happens."

How bold. Lol
no, i'm making fun of you for drawing irrelevant conclusions and making up narratives based on what a coach said at a press conference.

Reactions: FLSTF-VOL
Already been through all of that, next you'll want proof that they want him fired, was fine with the hire but changed their mind, on a Thursday afternoon before 4:13. When this started you just laughed and said no one wants Pruitt fired.

The whole point, which you miss more often than not, is not everyone thinks like you do and you're not always right. Not everyone thinks like me and I'm hardly ever right, but I know it. Lol.
oh ok, ill continue to laugh at the notion that 7 people wanting pruitt fired merits any serious attention / consideration.

VN Store

Back