Pruitt jokes about onside

What we have to lose is being the first team in the modern Era to lose a game by more than 100 points.

And I'm not being sarcastic. If Pruitt pulled some crap like that Saban would most likely try to break a scoring record.

What we have to lose is being the first team in the modern Era to lose a game by more than 100 points.

And I'm not being sarcastic. If Pruitt pulled some crap like that Saban would most likely try to break a scoring record.
Something noble in doing anything to win , other than a handshake of hey you’re my buddy so I’m only going to beat you by 60

Reactions: vols40
Something noble in doing anything to win , other than a handshake of hey you’re my buddy so I’m only going to beat you by 60
I think if you're going into a game thinking we can't stop them so let's just do something dumb and onside kick every time, you've already lost in your mind.

So I don't agree with that.

I think you have to go to a no huddle offense and milk every minute off the clock that you can on offense. You have to limit Alabama’s possessions as much as you can on offense and prevent them from substituting on defense. It’s easier said than done but you have to force a few punts out of Bama and sustain a few drives even if you don’t score on them. I don’t think we are going to be able to line up and run the ball very well against Bama. I do think you can pass the ball on them but you have to do it in a way that keeps the clock moving

Reactions: savannahfan
Dust off the Kiffin game plan vs Florida & Bama in 2009. Run the ball, run the clock, play zone D, try to limit their possessions and hope to hold them to FGs as much as you can.

Probably the best strategy still. Difference is they're a high powered offense now and we don't have Eric Berry on the backend or Montario Hardesty at RB. Not nearly as talented as that squad. But agree, prolly the best chance to keep it close

Reactions: Vols1313
Probably the best strategy still. Difference is they're a high powered offense now and we don't have Eric Berry on the backend or Montario Hardesty at RB. Not nearly as talented as that squad. But agree, prolly the best chance to keep it close

I'd just take a few PI's and rough up their receivers, body up on them, play them tight. Then maybe cheap shot Tua a time or two. They're going to score a 50 spot if you play timid off the ball coverage. Rough them up. Nothing really to lose, except by maybe 70.. Still wouldn't care.

He joked about on siding and not punting , like the Arkansas high school powerhouse does.

DO IT... what do we have to lose ?

My son goes to that school here in Arkansas - Pulaski Academy. The head football coach has won multiple state championships with that style of play. Doesn’t field punts, doesn’t punt - always goes for it on 4th down regardless of field position, onside kicks every time unless it’s a blowout, etc. Calls receiver routes from sideline with hand signals, etc. He was doing analytics before anyone else. He is also friends with Belicheck and has had visits from other NFL OCs to learn more about his system.

I'd just take a few PI's and rough up their receivers, body up on them, play them tight. Then maybe cheap shot Tua a time or two. They're going to score a 50 spot if you play timid off the ball coverage. Rough them up. Nothing really to lose, except by maybe 70.. Still wouldn't care.

sometimes a PI is good defense in college.

So you want to give them 15 yards a call instead of 45?

Hmmm! Interesting concept

I think probability drops from 60 to 20% if an onside kick is expected versus surprise. I’m sure that probably is higher at lower levels of football than pro as well. Idk I mean giving up a little field position for the possibility of getting an extra possession might be worth it. I think it’s something you practice and if your defense is struggling maybe you roll it out to try and get another possession.

VN Store

Back