Pruitt indirectly described the difference in QBs

I don't, and sincerely hope he's okay. I'd rather him just be ignoring everyone, instead of something wrong. We've all been short fused for a while. Him defending JG, and some of us wanting change has just caused us all to be smart butts. Hopefully he'll be back soon. We're all Vols, regardless of who the qb is.
By the way, here is the article if you want to read it. It's in another thread....

Teammates hail Maurer's impact, ready to see more from freshman

This is what many of us have been referring too when others only want to look at stats
He was a soph starting on a bad team with a pedestrian playcaller and an OL who couldnt protect him. Many of us assumed with the addition of Chaney and Wienke, improved OL play,more continuity with WRs, and another year of maturity and experience that he would take the next step and be better. It wasnt simply "only about stats".

What's going on with K Town? I saw a couple other references of him.
I'm probably one of the longest tenured members here. I've seen guys like him come in and run off at the mouth before. One of two things usually happen when they get embarrassed like this. Sometimes they just disappear. This is especially true of posters who are fans of a player or coach rather than Vol fans. Many times they change user names to avoid just simply having the courage to say they were wrong. Basically most message board tough guys like him are cowards at heart.

He's helping Brian learn then offense.
He's exactly where be needs to be.

There's a difference between knowing the path...and walking the path.

Just how is jg going to help Maurer learn the offense when he doesn't even appear to know the pass routes our receiver are running. I think the more jg talks to Maurer it will set him back as a qb. I prefer to let the coaches work with him on this. Jg doesn't appear to be able to read defenses very well, so how he gona teach Maurer.

Reactions: wesley21
Pruitt indirectly described the difference in leadership between the two quarterbacks on Wednesday, telling reporters that the “great ones have an effect on the entire team”.
PRUITT: “ONE THING THAT YOU DO AS A QUARTERBACK, YOU KIND OF GET CAUGHT UP IN YOUR WORLD. THERE’S LOTS OF THINGS THAT GO ON THERE BECAUSE THE BALL GOES THROUGH YOUR HANDS. THE GUYS THAT REALLY HAVE SUCCESS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN STILL CONTROL THEIR WORLD THERE WHEN IT GOES ON WITH THE QUARTERBACK AND STILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE PEOPLE AND THE FIELD AT THE SAME TIME. THE GREAT ONES CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE ENTIRE TEAM.”​

Thanks for that education coach to all of us that were never talented enough to play college football. We’re absolutely ignorant (if we were unable to play at that level) even though many of us played our whole lives and have watched thousands hours of football. Lol. The question I would have is why in the hell were you not able to recognize what all of us ignorant football fans were able to recognize after jg’s 3 or 4th start? Jg just can’t stand there and process what’s happening quickly enough on the field. Getting hit blind side is the most obvious consequence of not processing things quickly enough. It’s literally stunning we pay a guy nearly 5 million dollars that was unable to determine that jg wasn’t a good qb

Pruitt indirectly described the difference in leadership between the two quarterbacks on Wednesday, telling reporters that the “great ones have an effect on the entire team”.
PRUITT: “ONE THING THAT YOU DO AS A QUARTERBACK, YOU KIND OF GET CAUGHT UP IN YOUR WORLD. THERE’S LOTS OF THINGS THAT GO ON THERE BECAUSE THE BALL GOES THROUGH YOUR HANDS. THE GUYS THAT REALLY HAVE SUCCESS ARE THE ONES THAT CAN STILL CONTROL THEIR WORLD THERE WHEN IT GOES ON WITH THE QUARTERBACK AND STILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE PEOPLE AND THE FIELD AT THE SAME TIME. THE GREAT ONES CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE ENTIRE TEAM.”​
LOUD NOISES! Sorry, can’t help myself

Wait..he didnt mention completion % ..weird. that's the gold standard benchmark for QBs.

I mean ... Pruitt does talk about completion rate a lot, as do most great QB coaches. It's absolutely one of the most important metrics out there for a QB, but it's not the only thing that matters.

Having a 65% completion rate, while throwing 1 in 12 passes to the other team, and only averaging 6.2 yards per attempt is not good. Conversely, having a 55% completion rate, but averaging 9.5 yards per attempt and 1 in 50 passes is an INT can be good. People get really hung up on one metric, but for QBs, you need to look at a lot.

Still the thing that stands out the most to me is that the supporting cast for JG has gotten a lot better and his SOS has been easier, but his stats have gotten worse. On paper, his completion percentage and ypa are about the same, but in reality, he's had a much higher percentage of plays with a clean pocket and with wide open receivers; and these stats came against Ga State, BYU, and Chattanooga, whereas his stats last year included much tougher games like Georgia, Bama, West Virginia, and Auburn. Compared to someone like Joe Burrow, whose stats were similar to JG's last year --- Burrow has has had a break-out season and has improved significantly, while JG actually looks worse.

Sjt has been right in a lot of JG criticisms, unfortunately, but feel like he's giving k-town king too hard of a time. If you haven't been wrong about a UT player in the last decade, you might as well not even call yourself a "fan." 12 years of suckage (minus 2 OK seasons) and we've all been wrong a lot.

Last edited:
Just how is jg going to help Maurer learn the offense when he doesn't even appear to know the pass routes our receiver are running. I think the more jg talks to Maurer it will set him back as a qb. I prefer to let the coaches work with him on this. Jg doesn't appear to be able to read defenses very well, so how he gona teach Maurer.

So there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Well we all know you can't ride two horses at once. I really think it just took some time for CJP to get the confidence to ride the other horse. With QBs I personally think you can really go back to your old horse once you switch. You just have to be confident it is time too switch. All signs point to that change occuring now and I think many other things will fall in line. If CJP can improve some in game decisions well then maybe we will exit 2019 on the right path.

So there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
Bingo!
I was 6’1 265lbs in high school and played o line and d end. my best friend was 5’7 and about 135 and didn’t like contact so he took photos at ball games. He decided as a jr he wanted to try something to earn a letter and settled on pole vaulting. We got a budget for equipment and a handshake good luck from the track coach. Our track coach knew zip but about it after studying books (early 80s thus no google), watching Olympic vaulters on tv, I coached my buddy to a state title his senior year and his brother as a sophomore got 3 rd place iirc. It was fairly easy for me to see the technique and flaws in the same for my buddy but no way in heck I could physically or mentally pole vault.
There are a lot of good Qb coaches and of course position coaches that never played but can teach. JG might Be better at recognizing what needs to be done rather than actually doing it.

Sjt has been right in a lot of JG criticisms, unfortunately, but feel like he's giving k-town king too hard of a time. If you haven't been wrong about a UT player in the last decade, you might as well not even call yourself a "fan." 12 years of suckage (minus 2 OK seasons) and we've all been wrong a lot.
I have been wrong... and have said so. Others have. There are folks here who were starry eyed JG supporters who still post and have recognized that he wasn't what they thought.

@k-town_king is different. He spent much of the last several months accusing people of being "liars" for seeing things he refused to see. He's played the race card. He's been fundamentally dishonest with the facts and his attacks on me and others.

Truth is... that if he showed up and simply apologized and admitted he was wrong today then I wouldn't have much more to say about it. But the character indicated by him disappearing instead is what I don't like about him. In 13 plus years here, I've actually "disliked" less than a handful of people. He's one. He's earned it. But if he'd show just a little humility at this point... I wouldn't hold a grudge and would cut him some slack.

There were a lot of true blue Butch Jones supporters here too. I've pretty much intentionally "forgotten" who they are. Most seem to see what some saw much earlier.

Our local stat guys don't care about the team winning, the team being fired up, or even trying. Lose them all as long as their guy and his stat numbers stay safe with 1-2 yard passes for no gain!
I guarantee, you guys will be using stats to back up your argument if BM succeeds. He played really well against Georgia, but he is 0-1 as a starter and has thrown interceptions and has held the ball too long and has made bad decisions and has fumbled for a scoop and score. By your standards, he is no good. You only look at wins and losses, so anything else doesn't matter. I want Brian Maurer to succeed just as much as Jarrett Guarantano for the same reason. He is now the starting QB and I will support him fully. I just look at the items that allow one to make a true analysis of the situation, rather than labeling my fingers with a QB name and smacking them on a table. Whichever name is on the finger that hurts the worst is the one that should be the starter.
(Kudos to whomever can figure out the reference)

I guarantee, you guys will be using stats to back up your argument if BM succeeds. He played really well against Georgia, but he is 0-1 as a starter and has thrown interceptions and has held the ball too long and has made bad decisions and has fumbled for a scoop and score. By your standards, he is no good. You only look at wins and losses, so anything else doesn't matter. I want Brian Maurer to succeed just as much as Jarrett Guarantano for the same reason. He is now the starting QB and I will support him fully. I just look at the items that allow one to make a true analysis of the situation, rather than labeling my fingers with a QB name and smacking them on a table. Whichever name is on the finger that hurts the worst is the one that should be the starter.
(Kudos to whomever can figure out the reference)
I've said several times that idk if Maurer will do anything or not, but I do like his fire. I definitely have said passing stats don't win ball games, and it was obvious JG was not the answer. We've not got much of a sample size of Maurer except a few reps against a good Florida team, and his game against a very good Georgia team. I can assure you, if he comes out stinking it up vs miss st, you won't see me clamoring about his stats. We never were beating Georgia, Florida, or Alabama. If he can't move the ball tomorrow or vs ky, vandy, usc, then he's not the answer.

All this tells me is we don't have a great QB anywhere in sight.

There’s a wise old saying that I’ve found to be true more often than not. Those who can’t do, “ teach”.

There is some truth to that, but let me pose this question...

Would you rather learn high-risk entries from a current TL who's done half a dozen of them in his career, or a retired SWAT Commander with hundreds of them on his resume'?

I'll take the guy who's been there, done that, got the scars to prove it, and is just simply too old (or wise) to run with the herd anymore.

You know, like me. My version of a "foot chase" now is when I have my foot on the accelerator.

:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: TN Outlaw
He can only help during practice. Keep them separated during the game... 😎

He was a soph starting on a bad team with a pedestrian playcaller and an OL who couldnt protect him. Many of us assumed with the addition of Chaney and Wienke, improved OL play,more continuity with WRs, and another year of maturity and experience that he would take the next step and be better. It wasnt simply "only about stats".
That is was the so called “pedestrian playcalling “ bad OL , etc when it was the QB all along, proof is all the other has gotten better but the QB got worse!

Considering last years lack of good OLine play, compared to this year's improvement, JG's performance last year must be seen as miraculous. I expected him to shine this year. I wanted him to do it. I waited for him to turn it around. He didn't. I thought he might be Crompton 2.0. I was wrong. I am glad he has grown up since his RS Fr. He has had rough UT career and stood tall. He is a very impressive young man. I will be glad he is backing up Maurer the rest of the season.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost

VN Store

Back