Pruitt CAN be fired, buyout not a problem

Wanted to post this and see what everyone thinks. If he's fired, there will be an offset for his income from another job. No way he sits around without someone (likely Bama) picking him up as DC at 1 million per year or more. That would knock it down quite a bit.

He's had massive turnover on his staff already and lost S&C guy. It seems that he is hard to work with and everything you hear is that he is stubborn. Playing JG is clear evidence of that.

It's obvious to rational people that it's not going to work. I hope we go ahead and rip the band aid and get it over with.

He would go back to Bama as an analyst for $30k and draw UT salary like Butch.

Do you know that for sure about his contract? That's standard language in most coaching contracts these days. I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if that were the case.

There's no offset or anything along the lines of reciprocity when it comes to the buyout. We got absolutely taken to the cleaners by Sexton..

Reactions: Raebo
Why do you all do this to yourselves? Pruitt is not getting fired this year. He will be shaking up his staff. I doubt he gets fired next year either.

With more of the same.
But first Pruitt must get in a dark corner, look deep within himself and say "I have gotta change". Then hire new people or maybe just get the hell out of the way of the people he has. Become the "head man" not "every man".

Reactions: willinhf
I think this is the bigger issue. He needs to make staff changes. Letting some of the coaches go and replacing them with higher priced assistants will cost a lot of money. They will be afraid to invest that money in a new staff while they are gathering money to put towards Pruitt's buyout. This is the death knell. It's Larry Scott all over again.

After the past performances and the rumors about Pruitt being hardheaded and hard to work with, (which are looking more factual every game) I don't expect any amount of money could bring in the kind of guys you are talking about.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
FLORIDA will fire Mullen?? God Almighty; did you sleep at all last night?? Hangover? Go post that on Gator Nation. They need ANOTHER Good Laugh! Geeze----
If Florida doesn’t win championships they will fire him. He could be here forever. They have a much higher standard than we do. But please keep living in denial

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
Pruitt is the only SEC coach whose contract doesn’t include an offset. This was discussed on here a while back when the extension was done. Fulmer apparently agreed to this.

Pruitt is the only SEC coach whose contract doesn’t include an offset. This was discussed on here a while back when the extension was done. Fulmer apparently agreed to this.
By design in my opinion. It’s easier to justify keeping him if he doesn’t do well if the firing price tag is too high.

One thing to keep in mind. Every governmental institution is keeping tabs of all costs directly or indirectly associated with COVID with hope that there is a stimulus package passed that trickles down to universities and cities. This could be a source of funds as well....

Oh yeah? Who's gonna come here to work under Pruitt?
It would compound the problem actually. First would be the buyouts for anyone terminated, then any new staff would demand 3 year contracts that would only increase the total buyout cost for Pruitt and the staff. Tennessee football is becoming a money pit with a few coaches enriching themselves while the fans and program suffer. This latest extension was a colossally stupid thing to do.

An offset provision is pretty pointless if you’re not willing to cut the payments off when a guy who previously made $4 million a year takes a job making $30k

Reactions: volfan8 and imw8n4u

I think there was no offset in the original contract and the amendments did not change that. Again, that's not standard operating procedure for coaching contracts. It eliminates any leverage the school could have in negotiating a lower buyout upon termination...

Reactions: igotworms
An offset provision is pretty pointless if you’re not willing to cut the payments off when a guy who previously made $4 million a year takes a job making $30k

Pruitt can still make $1.5-2MM a year as a DC if we terminate him. If there was an offset in the original contract, we could negotiate a lower buyout at termination by removing the offset provisions then.

It's all about leverage and we gave up 100% of it

Reactions: igotworms
I think there was no offset in the original contract and the amendments did not change that. Again, that's not standard operating procedure for coaching contracts. It eliminates any leverage the school could have in negotiating a lower buyout upon termination...
Correct. I was just saying that the subject was brought up at the time the extension was signed, not that the extension eliminated the offset clause.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Wanted to post this and see what everyone thinks. If he's fired, there will be an offset for his income from another job. No way he sits around without someone (likely Bama) picking him up as DC at 1 million per year or more. That would knock it down quite a bit.

He's had massive turnover on his staff already and lost S&C guy. It seems that he is hard to work with and everything you hear is that he is stubborn. Playing JG is clear evidence of that.

It's obvious to rational people that it's not going to work. I hope we go ahead and rip the band aid and get it over with.

Nobody is getting fired. We need a QB. All our QB's are terrible and need major development. Mauer and Strout need to transfer after the year to a lower division and keep Bailey only for now and if he doesn't pan out we can over recruit him.

The most logical course to be taken is to fire several offensive staff members. Chaney, Friend, Weinke need to all go in the off-season. Pruitt will not be fired.

Reactions: give_him 6
Do you know that for sure about his contract? That's standard language in most coaching contracts these days. I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if that were the case.

I’ve heard from media sources that there is NO offset in Pruitts contract if he’s fired. Now, I haven’t read the contract but others say they have.

Here's the buy out section. It makes it clear there is no mitigation/offset. The extension moved the end of the contract date to Jan 31 2026.

http://tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Jeremy-Pruitt-football.pdf

Section 3.1.2

If the University terminates this Agreement without Cause pursuant to Section 3.1.1, then the University shall pay Coach a separation payment in the amount of sixty percent (60%) of the Base Pay and Supplemental Pay which would have been payable from the University Termination Date through January 31, 2024 (the "University Separation Payment''), without any mitigation obligations incurred by Coach or offset rights atbibuted to the University following any such termination. Payment of the University Separation Payment shall be made in equal monthly installments over a period equal to the number of months remaining until January 31, 2024, with the first monthly installment of the University Separation Payment due on or before the thirtieth (30111)day following the University Termination Date. The University's obligations under this Section 3.1.2 shall not accrue interest (so long as not in arrears).
Why would you ever put actual facts on this board? Totally destroys the fantasy put forth by mouth breathers! Pruitt sucks, true. Big donors are waiting, millions in hand, to pay current obligations and give $50m to Phil to hire another morally acceptable guy. Not so much. The truth shall set you free.... unless it's a message board.

VN Store

Back