Pruitt announces Jim Chaney hired as OC

So the reason it took 6 weeks to hire an O.C. was because we didn't hire one that had been fired or that was upgrading from a position coach or had personal issues that made them a lesser commodity. We hired a top notch offensive mind that had to finish his season.

What a freakin' concept! Go Vols!
We should have a limited number of likes a day and be able to put in how many you want on a post for the day. This one would get all of mine left for the day.

I'm not sure it will work. If it does, keep it through the weekend just for some laughs and change back to whatever you want Monday.

It's all good, I have no issues with honoring the deal :) This computer or the forum software is not letting me resize it correctly, but I'm trying some different things.

We have no ideal that Tn let anybody get away , maybe whoever they interviewed did not want to come. Nobody knows how all this played out except for the people involved. You say dont get your hope up seeing Tn light up SEC programs. He was lighting up SEC programs while at Ga , he cant be responsible for all the losses at Ga. We dont know who decided to get all conservative in the 2nd half against Bama but I am sure he will get the blame on here. Chaney wasnt the one who let Bama off the hook 2 years in a row. You cant make somebody take a job that they dont want. Who exactly was left out there that was actually worth hiring that would come?
If we have that kind of money to spend, we could have gotten a better ROI, therefore, people got away. As I said his offense was ranked 18th with an offense full of 5 star recruits....we don't have a offense full of 5 stars. As far as who passed by...Freeze, Yurich, Briles, and Kingsbury are all better OCs than Chaney.

Read the linked article. An impressive resume, in case you didn't already know.

And if you are familiar with his accomplishments then link one a better resume, preferably one with SEC experience and equal proficiency with the run and pass. While you're at it, make sure he's shown versatility and adaptability with available personnel.

And if it's not too much, for the sake of continuity of staff, try to find a dude who owns a house in the area, and has kids enrolled in school. Maybe even a guy with no head coach aspirations, who wouldn't mind retiring in beautiful east TN. I know im asking a lot here, but this kind of thing serves to ease our battered vol hearts.

Or just compare Chaney' s resume to Helton's. And tell me if that looks like improvement.
The only really impressive parts of his resume are the time he was with Brees at Purdue (they were very pedestrian outside of that) and while at Georgia. Everything else is just kind of, well, OK. I think Brees and Fromm/Chubb/Michel have made him look really good. When he has really good players, he has really good offenses. We don't have great players right now. There really isn't an example of him taking lemons and making lemonade.

It is clearly a better resume than Helton's, to be sure, but I think we need to pump the brakes a little bit.

Last edited:
Can we just not be happy about a great hire?

77b583829e826094741d95287b1abe75.jpg

Not sure why everyone thinks this is such a homerun hire. UT let a lot better coordinators get away before settling on Chaney. Go back a look at the total offense rankings at the schools where he has been OC. 18th was the best his offense ranked at that was at UGA with a offense full of 5 stars. His offense here was ranked around 120 one of the years he was here. I'll say this though....it was looking like we were going to get a lot worse in Friend or Sark. I just wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing us light up SEC power programs.
We have no ideal that Tn let anybody get away , maybe whoever they interviewed did not want to come. Nobody knows how all this played out except for the people involved. You say dont get your hope up seeing Tn light up SEC programs. He was lighting up SEC programs while at Ga , he cant be responsible for all the losses at Ga. We dont know who decided to get all conservative in the 2nd half against Bama but I am sure he will get the blame on here. Chaney wasnt the one who let Bama off the hook 2 years in a row. You cant make somebody take a job that they dont want. Who exactly was left out there that was actually worth hiring that would come?
After reading a lot of comments from UGA fans I see this as a deal where both teams are happy. Kirby blamed a lot of the teams’ failures on Chaney’s play calling. I assume Kirby wants to go away from the Bama style of lining up with a simple scheme and winning due to having better players. Butch tried to out scheme SEC defenses and it worked for a year or so. But you need a player like Dobbs, and that guy just transferred from UGA to tOSU.

Ga fans , not all of them as of today dont want to acknowledge that Kirby lost them games also. Like the NC and SECCG , his D let them down in both games and in the SECG they were up with minutes left and he let Hurts do to him what he let Tua do to him in the NC game. Does Chaney deserve some of the blame ? Sure. But to set and listen to Ga fans now , is pretty sad. I listen to them for the last 2 years and not until today that they are glad that Chaney is gone. For 2 years I have listened to how Kirby lost them games because of his D. They were upset over the LSU game but not 1 time did I hear them call for Chaneys job. The Sugar bowl game they knew those players checked out before they ever played and even then they were more upset that Kirby let Tx QB go Tebow on them and the D couldnt really stop them. Not saying you but now they are blaming Chaney and I am setting back like where did this come from , out of nowhere. Ga has bigger problems with Kirby than they did with Chaney.

Great hire and we stole him from the Dawgs. Way to go Coach Pruitt. It’s great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!
You didn't steal him. We could have matched the offer and didn't. Further, he was under contract thru 2020, and we could have blocked a lateral move.

For all of the yahoos freaking out over this search should be ashamed of themselves. Chicken Littles just being......Chicken Littles.

For all of the yahoos freaking out over this search should be ashamed of themselves. Chicken Littles just being......Chicken Littles.

Oh yeah, because there's literally no history at UT of coaching hires going completely wrong. STFU & GTHO

Curious, how would UGA go about blocking a lateral move?

It's in every assistant's contract. For the record, I like Chaney, obviously more than Smart. I think Smart hired Chaney to get Pittman.

Chaney did a good job for UGA, and will do well at UT.

Chaney is a GREAT hire for UT. But I wont tollerate a word from these "I told you so" fanboys who are only right once ever 15 years when most of us are right 95% of the time. It looks bad on you playing that card.

VN Store

Back