Pruitt announces Jim Chaney hired as OC

Why would he leave UGA? Is there something I’m missing? We offered him more money?

Things I have read seem that 1) we offered a huge raise and 2) for some reason UGA did not seem that excited about trying to keep him.

Not sure why, the offense improved each year although he did seem to have issues with 2nd half or on the fly adjustments.

Why would he leave UGA? Is there something I’m missing? We offered him more money?

After reading a lot of comments from UGA fans I see this as a deal where both teams are happy. Kirby blamed a lot of the teams’ failures on Chaney’s play calling. I assume Kirby wants to go away from the Bama style of lining up with a simple scheme and winning due to having better players. Butch tried to out scheme SEC defenses and it worked for a year or so. But you need a player like Dobbs, and that guy just transferred from UGA to tOSU.

Reactions: SanDiegoDawg
I won’t be impressed by the hire until I see results. He best be recruiting his fat ass off though.
This was going to be the same no matter who was hired. I take it that you are not happy with the hire ? The truth to be told , I bet you probably need to get out and get the fat off of your azz. Pathetic

Reactions: mtowntim
After reading a lot of comments from UGA fans I see this as a deal where both teams are happy. Kirby blamed a lot of the teams’ failures on Chaney’s play calling. I assume Kirby wants to go away from the Bama style of lining up with a simple scheme and winning due to having better players. Butch tried to out scheme SEC defenses and it worked for a year or so. But you need a player like Dobbs, and that guy just transferred from UGA to tOSU.
You have to remember that in both '16 and '17 Chaney was working with a true freshman QB. I've always thought that was the reason they were so conservative. Now, in 2018 they remained just as conservative which leaves some valid criticism for Chaney, I suppose... and yet the only loss I would blame on the offense was Texas - they waited too long to go with a hurry up. Against LSU, their defensive line was thoroughly whipped and they would have beaten Bama if not for Rodrigo Blankenship's missed field goal... and the fake punt. Chaney called a good game.

Not sure why everyone thinks this is such a homerun hire. UT let a lot better coordinators get away before settling on Chaney. Go back a look at the total offense rankings at the schools where he has been OC. 18th was the best his offense ranked at that was at UGA with a offense full of 5 stars. His offense here was ranked around 120 one of the years he was here. I'll say this though....it was looking like we were going to get a lot worse in Friend or Sark. I just wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing us light up SEC power programs.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Finally!!!
Well, my question is, was Doug Matthews correct? Did we have the deal with Chaney 95% done a month ago?
Also, I must admit, I was totally wrong by guessing it to be a promotion of Friend and it's announcement after signing day
No one guessed it being Chaney, until a few days ago, so every one was wrong on their guesses

Let's do this. Ready when you are, unless its not work-safe LOL

th

You have to remember that in both '16 and '17 Chaney was working with a true freshman QB. I've always thought that was the reason they were so conservative. Now, in 2018 they remained just as conservative which leaves some valid criticism for Chaney, I suppose... and yet the only loss I would blame on the offense was Texas - they waited too long to go with a hurry up. Against LSU, their defensive line was thoroughly whipped and they would have beaten Bama if not for Rodrigo Blankenship's missed field goal... and the fake punt. Chaney called a good game.
Cheney’s worst called game by far was LSU this year. Swift and Holyfield were averaging around 7 ypc and we mysteriously went away from the run. I specifically remember after driving down the field and running it down lsu’s throat we missed the fake and on the next drive he called 3 passes in a row all incomplete. My only other complaint was his inability to adapt after his game plan failed or was schemed against. His game plans seem to be great, maybe even elite like the first half of the SECC. Then bama adjusted and we didn’t. Imo Cheney is what UT needs right now with a safe, reliable OC who Pruitt can trust to run the offense. While he may not be the best in the game, he has experience and has had good years. Solid hire.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Nooo sorry , the guy that said he needs to get his fat ass to recruiting. Don't know why it didn't post with his. Sorry
Cool. Lol, you could have played that one out and got me good. I was just a little hesitant on using that avatar thinking someone was going to think I was just being an ass.

Having trouble resizing it so it all shows well. Any ideas? Perhaps its my computer here.

Not sure why everyone thinks this is such a homerun hire. UT let a lot better coordinators get away before settling on Chaney. Go back a look at the total offense rankings at the schools where he has been OC. 18th was the best his offense ranked at that was at UGA with a offense full of 5 stars. His offense here was ranked around 120 one of the years he was here. I'll say this though....it was looking like we were going to get a lot worse in Friend or Sark. I just wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing us light up SEC power programs.
We have no ideal that Tn let anybody get away , maybe whoever they interviewed did not want to come. Nobody knows how all this played out except for the people involved. You say dont get your hope up seeing Tn light up SEC programs. He was lighting up SEC programs while at Ga , he cant be responsible for all the losses at Ga. We dont know who decided to get all conservative in the 2nd half against Bama but I am sure he will get the blame on here. Chaney wasnt the one who let Bama off the hook 2 years in a row. You cant make somebody take a job that they dont want. Who exactly was left out there that was actually worth hiring that would come?

Reactions: AM64 and Fore
Cool. Lol, you could have played that one out and got me good. I was just a little hesitant on using that avatar thinking someone was going to think I was just being an ass.

Lol. Not you but some on here really are.

I think the Texas game was solely on Georgia players just not being into it and not caring.. They didn't want to be there..

VN Store

Back