Pruitt and Fulmer have hijacked the offense

don't let the team/coach dynamics turn us against each other VN, even if we think someone/something is right or wrong...agree to disagree...there's enough problems to go around...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: KSBleedingUTOrange
It's just baseless.

Out of like 30 practice threads, there are like two mentions of Pruitt even working with the offense.

Maybe he should be spending more time there.

Thoughts have been there among the base ever since CJP emphatically stated what the offense would be before TH ever said a word. Strengthened by this season's play and, finally, finished with the thread on Trace Armstrong. The evidence is overwhelming this is NOT Helton's offense. Never was.
You do understand that in order to have an effective passing game you must have a solid offensive line which we do not? Therefore, we are going to be limited in our playcalling since our quarterback doesnt have enough time for routes to develop. Its pretty cut and dry.

I have been...

Thanks for noticing.

You're welcome. Any time you'd like to demonstrate, I'd love to see it. I read between the lines too, just like most here do. But how do you know when you're right?

Lol, you don't have to answer, I already know. I read between the invisible lines.

Which posters though. That is the question...
Anyone who thinks, because you can complete 95% of your passes against air defense and no line rush comes to mind. Like everything else in this program...trying to Second Guess the Head Coach, is like trying to catch Farts with a minnow net! It doesn't work! Let the man do his job.

Last edited:
People just don’t understand how much the inability to block affects what you can do on offense
Yep... It willful same tally wreck whatever it is that you're trying to do. People think you an fix things by simply dialing up better playcalls and that's just not always true.

Regardless of who is doing what the offense is a disaster and needs to be fixed immediately. 33 points in the SEC 16.5 per game will not be enough to beat anybody.

Yes, but why?

Surely our 2:1 run-to-pass ratio doesn't help. Neither do long developing vertical plays. I have heard of some wizadry that involves quick, short passes and RPOs. Whenceforth do we find such black majik? Does that cost us another 1.2 milliion to unlock?!?

Why does CJP contend it is all about execution and scheme means nothing?? Bad excuses.
You can't RPO when the defense isn't afraid of the run AND isn't afraid of getting beat over the top.

So the Head Coach has hijacked his own offense....????

giphy.gif

So, the Head Coach, who is responsible for every single facet of the football program, “hijacked” his own offense? Lol.

Did you REALLY type “why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense?” Could it possibly be because the offense isn’t performing well, isn’t functioning well, isn’t taking advantage of the few advantages and personnel that it has? And could it be because it’s eventually Pruitt’s arse if the offense doesn’t get better and aid in reaching his and every head coach’s ultimate goal, which is winning games?

And the AD, who hired the head coach, whom the head coach has asked to come watch the team and provide any input he might have, he “hijacked” it too? 😂😂😂

Imho, any sane fan employing any common sense whatsoever, should be very happy that Pruitt, the head coach, recognizes there’s an issue with the offense, sees that the offense isn’t good enough.....and is doing everything he can to improve it, including getting the eyes and opinions of his AD, who is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and former head coach at Tennessee.

Think you misunderstood the point of said "interjection". I'm not talking the recent practice interjection. I'm talking since before the season started. He defined the offense, then brought in Helton and handcuffed him to this power run dogma, failure after failure be damned.

So the Head Coach has hijacked his own offense....????

giphy.gif

Hijacked Helton's...Why in the world would CJP "have an offense"?? That would be scary. Do you think Kiffin "has a defense"? Step back into the real world sir.

Hijacked Helton's...Why in the world would CJP "have an offense"?? That would be scary. Do you think Kiffin "has a defense"? Step back into the real world sir.

I AM in the real world Moron!! What head coach DOES NOT install HIS choice of Offensive and Defensive Style...JEEZ LOUISE?!?!?

Reactions: VolinMC and TJSVOLS
because he's the head coach and has the authority to do so that's why

Authority, ok. Smart to do it? No.

The best leaders delegate areas they aren't experts in and hire people smarter than themselves to run those areas. Coaches especially.

From the moment CJP stated this would be a "power run" offense, you already knew Helton and his Brohm/pass-heavy background were being manipulated. You could only hope the oversight would be minimal.

5 games in and we all see this isn't true. Despite running for a horrendous 2.8 YPC in league play, while passing for 7.5 YPA (similar ratios overall; pathetic at the run and nationally top-25 at pass efficiency), UT and Helton (presumably) continue to call run plays with a 2:1 ratio to pass plays. This is very UNlike Helton and what he would have learned from Brohm.

Why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense? Why did we even come out and define our offensive phililosophy without it being the OC's input? What is the role of the OC here? Should Butch have allowed a defensive identity to form a priori to Shoop the last few years?

I just can't fathom why offensive HCs interject on the defense and defensive HCs do the same on offense. Just LET IT GO ffs. This is a recurring problem at UT.
Why does it matter if u have a qb that cannot read a defense? Have at it, pass happy offense with out a ground game to complimnet will only lead to the defense being on the field all game, not that they aren't already. I forese INT's one after another if you try to run heltons offense with the qb's we have.

I AM in the real world Moron!! What head coach DOES NOT install HIS choice of Offensive and Defensive Style...JEEZ LOUISE?!?!?

So you are going on record with the idea that Kiffin "has a defense"? What about Spurrier, did he drone on about a beloved defensive front he just had to run, ya know, as an offensive guru? This is not how the real world operates, unless you're Butch and micromanage others. Shoop was disgruntled, now Helton. Connect the dots.

i don't see where much has changed. they either are bad at play calling and aren't 100% sure how to fix it given the personnel issues or they've just decided to do what we're gonna do, teach it, develop it, and get this roster as used to how things are gonna be in the future.

now, with the news of pruitt being more involved with the offense, and taking his comments on the CJP show, one probalby has to consider they're addressing the former, not the latter (at least not at all costs or at the expense of attaining ANY results this season).

we'll see what happens after the bye.

Reactions: savannahfan
Think you misunderstood the point of said "interjection". I'm not talking the recent practice interjection. I'm talking since before the season started. He defined the offense, then brought in Helton and handcuffed him to this power run dogma, failure after failure be damned.
then why come on your own show, more than once, and even give the impression you weren't exactly impressed with the play calling?

or, are we just making stuff up?

Reactions: chargervol
You do understand that in order to have an effective passing game you must have a solid offensive line which we do not? Therefore, we are going to be limited in our playcalling since our quarterback doesnt have enough time for routes to develop. Its pretty cut and dry.

With vertical passing, yes. But what about short, horizontal, or quick-pass scheming? Other options abound.

Looks like its similar to his situation at USC. Wasn't he the passing game coordinator and co-OC? Is this is his first year as a full coordinator? Seems like they are doing all they can to keep the defense fresh. I'd say they will gradually let him do more as his career progresses at TN. Not sure why you pay a guy 1.2 million then just tell him what to run on offense. they could've gotten someone from the high school ranks to follow directions if that's what it is. Id definitely get the ball to Jennings and chandler more if I wanted to win , regardless of the play call.

VN Store

Back