Pruitt and Fulmer have hijacked the offense

Devo182

"Well Known Member" TWSS
From the moment CJP stated this would be a "power run" offense, you already knew Helton and his Brohm/pass-heavy background were being manipulated. You could only hope the oversight would be minimal.

5 games in and we all see this isn't true. Despite running for a horrendous 2.8 YPC in league play, while passing for 7.5 YPA (similar ratios overall; pathetic at the run and nationally top-25 at pass efficiency), UT and Helton (presumably) continue to call run plays with a 2:1 ratio to pass plays. This is very UNlike Helton and what he would have learned from Brohm.

Why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense? Why did we even come out and define our offensive phililosophy without it being the OC's input? What is the role of the OC here? Should Butch have allowed a defensive identity to form a priori to Shoop the last few years?

I just can't fathom why offensive HCs interject on the defense and defensive HCs do the same on offense. Just LET IT GO ffs. This is a recurring problem at UT.

From the moment CJP stated this would be a "power run" offense, you already knew Helton and his Brohm/pass-heavy background were being manipulated. You could only hope the oversight would be minimal.

5 games in and we all see this isn't true. Despite running for a horrendous 2.8 YPC in league play, while passing for 7.5 YPA (similar ratios overall; pathetic at the run and nationally top-25 at pass efficiency), UT and Helton (presumably) continue to call run plays with a 2:1 ratio to pass plays. This is very UNlike Helton and what he would have learned from Brohm.

Why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense? Why did we even come out and define our offensive phililosophy without it being the OC's input? What is the role of the OC here? Should Butch have allowed a defensive identity to form a priori to Shoop the last few years?
Sir, Butch is gone and Pruitt can do no wrong because.......Go Vols that's why.

Last edited:
Where the eff did this come from? A priori...lol!.

Thoughts have been there among the base ever since CJP emphatically stated what the offense would be before TH ever said a word. Strengthened by this season's play and, finally, finished with the thread on Trace Armstrong. The evidence is overwhelming this is NOT Helton's offense. Never was.

Reactions: NEO and Thorp32
We just have to accept that the offense isn't very good right now.

I know, it hurts me to admit that too.

tumblr_lecz8qco3O1qdlkgg.gif

We just have to accept that the offense isn't very good right now.

I know, it hurts me to admit that too.

tumblr_lecz8qco3O1qdlkgg.gif

Yes, but why?

Surely our 2:1 run-to-pass ratio doesn't help. Neither do long developing vertical plays. I have heard of some wizadry that involves quick, short passes and RPOs. Whenceforth do we find such black majik? Does that cost us another 1.2 milliion to unlock?!?

Why does CJP contend it is all about execution and scheme means nothing?? Bad excuses.

The oline limits what plays will work.

If UT could sling it then Fulmer or Pruitt wouldn't have any problems with passing 80% of the time.

There's no conspiracy or hard headedness going on. The offense just isn't very good, in any aspect.

We've all watched all the games and we've all seen what is on the field every Saturday thus far.

There's no time to throw it, there's no blockers moving upfield let alone moving the pocket and there's rarely a hole for the runners to go through.

Right now the offense is losing the trenches. It's as simple as that.

I love Devo by the way.

[youtube]

Actually OP, versus Florida we did have double the runs.
54 runs and 25 passes.
Then Pruitt made a comment on his show about too many runs - skip to versus UGA
25 runs and 21 passes.

If Pruitt and/or Fulmer "highjacked our offense" then they increased the balance tremendously.

Thoughts have been there among the base ever since CJP emphatically stated what the offense would be before TH ever said a word. Strengthened by this season's play and, finally, finished with the thread on Trace Armstrong. The evidence is overwhelming this is NOT Helton's offense. Never was.

"Thoughts have been there among the (fan) base"........ OK, so your 'evidence' is basically a bunch of armchair OCs and a thread... Got it...

FWIW, none of us really know what is going on with this team and the staff. It might be a good idea to base your opinion on a little more than fan speculation and give it more than half of their first season together to pass judgment..

The oline limits what plays will work.

If UT could sling it then Fulmer or Pruitt wouldn't have any problems with passing 80% of the time.

There's no conspiracy or hard headedness going on. The offense just isn't very good, in any aspect.

We've all watched all the games and we've all seen what is on the field every Saturday thus far.

There's no time to throw it, there's no blockers moving upfield let alone moving the pocket and there's rarely a hole for the runners to go through.

Right now the offense is losing the trenches. It's as simple as that.

I love Devo by the way.

[youtube]

This one might be appropriate...

Reactions: tbh and marvin616
It’s certainly concerning. Did we make a $2.4m mistake (2 year minimum contract right?) hiring Helton if we’re so limited we have to run the majority of the time?

Pruitt’s success here will be largely determined by the effectiveness of his OC hires.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I know people are going to give the OP hell for this post, and I agree he's being too harsh in his criticisms, but if you were to ask me what I'm most concerned about right now with Pruitt ... this would be near the top of the list.

OP has some valid concerns. Right now, our O-line gets pushed back 2 yards on every running play. Whereas, we have a QB that is very accurate and can throw deep, and we have a host of WRs that can make big plays. Yet, we continue to run the ball with too much predictability in spite of the fact that it's not working.

Of course, the counter here is that with the O-line issues, it's really a "pick your poison" type deal. You either ineffectively run the ball or you "air it out" with more effectiveness, but watch your QB get beaten to a pulp every game.

This is why I've given Pruitt somewhat of a pass thus far. It's not like there's a "good option" right now until we get the O-line fixed. Nevertheless, to me, it's been pretty obvious that the passing game has been more of a strength than the run game. And we're not going to beat good teams without throwing the ball more.

That said, the coaches do seem to be experimenting with different approaches. I thought we hit the "right balance" in the 2nd half of that Georgia game (whereas, we got too conservative and run-happy in the 1st half).

Last edited:

I just can't fathom why offensive HCs interject on the defense and defensive HCs do the same on offense. Just LET IT GO ffs. This is a recurring problem at UT.

So, the Head Coach, who is responsible for every single facet of the football program, “hijacked” his own offense? Lol.

Did you REALLY type “why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense?” Could it possibly be because the offense isn’t performing well, isn’t functioning well, isn’t taking advantage of the few advantages and personnel that it has? And could it be because it’s eventually Pruitt’s arse if the offense doesn’t get better and aid in reaching his and every head coach’s ultimate goal, which is winning games?

And the AD, who hired the head coach, whom the head coach has asked to come watch the team and provide any input he might have, he “hijacked” it too? 😂😂😂

Imho, any sane fan employing any common sense whatsoever, should be very happy that Pruitt, the head coach, recognizes there’s an issue with the offense, sees that the offense isn’t good enough.....and is doing everything he can to improve it, including getting the eyes and opinions of his AD, who is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and former head coach at Tennessee.

Last edited:
I would definitely say not overwhelming. Since every coach has the right to establish his team's identity, offense and defense, the more likely scenario is CJP and Helton met a priori 😊 to Helton's hiring and Helton enthusiastically agreed.

VN Store

Back