Pruitt’s 1st year, and the his future with Tennessee

Why would anyone ever want to follow one of the greatest head coaches. That’s a lot of pressure.
I would gladly go and become the least popular HC in bummer history for $50-75+ million. And when i retired, i would invest appropriately and retire to my lakehouse to fish and hang out with my family.

Fulmer “You aren’t going to leave us and go to Alabama when you start winning at TN are you?”

Pruitt “of course not!”

Fulmer “pinky promise?”

Come on guys, the future does look bright, recruiting is looking better, strength and conditioning looks to be finally improving. But we just went 5-7! My god BVS is a real thing. We as a fan base want some continuity, stability, and winning in a bad way. First sign that things are looking up we start discussing when our head coach is leaving lol if that’s not BVS I don’t know what is.

Do the pundits know that if Pruitt can win 6 games at UT, he could win 10 or 11 anywhere else?
Possibly

He's a chicken **** if he doesn't stay long enough to get us at least an SEC Championship....pay it to happen Coach Fulmer !

Pruitt needs to win. Last thing I even care about is Pruitt leaving. If he can't beat Vandy I WANT him to leave asap. Look at Northwestern....Wisconsin....many other teams that are ranked and winning with multiple recruiting classes in the 30s...and worse. We can and SHOULD do better.

How many are winning in the SEC?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Until he proves himself at UT, it seem premature to think AL would come calling. Yes, he can obviously recruit, but then so could ...goodness, I forget his name. :)

Until he proves himself at UT, it seem premature to think AL would come calling. Yes, he can obviously recruit, but then so could ...goodness, I forget his name. :)
He can recruit, but can he recruit well enough? So far, the answer is no.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
He can recruit, but can he recruit well enough? So far, the answer is no.
I agree with you, if this were a winning team. For a team that won 5 games last season, he's did pretty good in the recruiting department. But yes, he has allot to prove before a school such as bama comes for him.

All this speculation smacks of telling Pruitt good-bye almost as soon as UT fans told him "Hello." I believe Fulmer has more sense than these fans and gives the man time. Time to douse the flames of the plane crash that been the Vols football program for years. Time to pull whatever survivors from the wreck, or at least their bodies. Time to remove the wreckage, clean up the fuel residue, analyze the crash's cause. Time to build a replacement craft lacking the flaws on the original plane. And staying as far away from the speculating fans who knowingly or unknowingly are encouraging the same negativism that has infected the program for the same number of years.

It went well for Holly.......errrr......maybe not a good example.

Yes this is a good example Holly was a great Assistant and Pruitt has been a great assistant. I'll take a wait & see on the HC legend dominating the East and going back to Bama.

He’s doing as well as we can hope for considering this program has been a dumpster fire. You’re not gonna have a #1 class after consecutive losing records.
I certainly hope that most of the folks who post here would understand that fact. Am I wrong for assuming that? I know I didn't expect even a top 10 recruiting class, for a few years.

Reactions: checkerboards09
Priutt hasn't done anything to be considered for Saban's replacement yet, Saban isn't even hinting at retiring, so why do we have to have these discussions? Let's just see if CJP can make solid progress this year and give us any hope that eventually Tennessee football will be the football program that it was in the lets 80's to the early 2000's! When Tennessee is in the top ten at the end of the year every year contending for the East, the SEC, and the playoff then it will be a valid discussion but until then just give it a rest! Not only do we not know if Pruitt will be Alabama's next coach, we don't even know if he will be Tennessee's coach five years from now!
I seem to recall threads a few years ago suggesting we give the used car salesman a raise and extension so we didn't lose him to some other school. Granted, I do think Pruitt is a better coach than that person; but I also think the janitor at the high school across the street from me is a better coach than that person, so that's a low bar. I for one do think it would be awesome if we at least waited until we had a little success before we started laying odds on how quickly our (not yet successful) coach leaves us high and dry.

I don't have to tell you what this looks like if Vandy and Mizzou break out the cans of whoop azz again this year.
I'm cautiously optimistic right now about Pruitt - concerned about recruiting, but overall optimistic - but if we lose to those two schools again this year, especially if we get blown out by both again, there need to be some come-to-Jesus discussions somewhere in the AD building.

I agree with you, if this were a winning team. For a team that won 5 games last season, he's did pretty good in the recruiting department. But yes, he has allot to prove before a school such as bama comes for him.
He’s brought in some really nice pieces his first two years, just not enough of them to make up the ground he’s gotta make up, which is considerable. 8th recruiting class in the SEC in year 1, 7th in the SEC last year, 11th in the SEC right now. I get your point about recruiting to a team that’s won 9 games in the last 2 years, which is 1 fewer game that Florida won LAST YEAR.....but it still is what it is and it’s not catching up. He and the staff are gonna have to work some “development miracles” and far exceed expectations this year and next to begin attracting enough of the top talent needed to play for championships. He’s brought in some nice pieces in the secondary, at linebacker and on the offensive line thus far, but he’s still woefully behind all across the roster.

He’s doing as well as we can hope for considering this program has been a dumpster fire. You’re not gonna have a #1 class after consecutive losing records.
Literally nobody saying he’s gotta sign the #1 class in the country, it’s not reasonable. But he’s got a ton of ground to make up, and signing the 8th, 7th and 11th (currently) classes just isn’t good enough. He’s brought in some really good players in spots, just not nearly enough thus far to close the gap on the teams ahead of Tennessee.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
We are the next Clemson, Pruitt is the next Dabo. He will win a national championship before Saban retires and Fulmer will make him the highest paid college football coach in the country. That's why he he won't go to Alabama. Also, he will have a statue in front of the stadium and a street names after him one day. Someone refresh this in twenty years so i can float. 😁
giphy.gif

For everyone worried about Pruitt leaving to take over Bama when Saban retires, hark back to the good ole days when you all were worried Dooley was going to replace Richt when Georgia let him go!

CJP - I like him. Go Coach, Go! And I think he is here to stay as he never has built a team up from the bottom on his own. He helped some good programs become great but, none were HIS team.

I believe Coach JP wants to prove to himself that he has the knowledge, patience, skill sets and perseverance to get the Vols back on top. Rocky Top.

Pruitt has reached his pinnacle. Nobody will offer him*. He doesn't have the personality, style, IQ or vocabulary to be CEO of a multi-million dollar operation. That said, hope he wins 10 and gets UT in the hunt for SEC champs.

(*Unless Tennessee keeps losing, he gets fired, and Florida Atlantic is looking to replace Kiffin or something like that.)

VN Store

Back