Pruitt’s 1st year, and the his future with Tennessee

Reactions: 08Vol
A) Pruitt hasn't succeeded at UT yet.

B) He'd be foolish if after he built UT into a competitor to leave for uncertainty. Kiffin thought he was stepping into a good situation at USCw too.

No one knows what he will do. A move to Bama or anywhere else is no "guarantee".... assuming he succeeds of course.

Reactions: onevol74
Pruitt needs to win. Last thing I even care about is Pruitt leaving. If he can't beat Vandy I WANT him to leave asap. Look at Northwestern....Wisconsin....many other teams that are ranked and winning with multiple recruiting classes in the 30s...and worse. We can and SHOULD do better.

Reactions: 08Vol
I'm actually optimistic about this. We can match Bama money. I mean, we just paid a basketball coach 4.5 M with a contract that I believe tops out around 6M for men's basketball. How much do you think we'd pony up for a football coach who maybe had a SEC title or at least a few 10 win seasons and a good record against UF and UGA and a trip to Atlanta (bc that is what it will take for Bama to consider him)?

Not only that, but if he looks at it objectively while there's pressure in Knoxville, it's not NEARLY as much as Bama. 2 SEC Titles in 5 years here? Pay raise and folks are excited. In Tuscaloosa? He better win it all next year or fire his ass!

I think there's a good chance he'd stay. I don't think it's a given he goes if Bama calls.

If this happens, then that means UT is doing great and hiring a replacement will be a lot easier. Now, can we stop stop these kind of post? It is really a mute point at this time.

Reactions: njvols
I've said all along that Pruitt WILL end up at Bama. It's obvious he can recruit (note the 2019 class he signed with a 5-7 record!) He knows the Landscape and he Knows Alabama; where He Coached the best D in the Country. Saban will retire within 5 years (I think 3) and we are once again looking for a HC. Probably Tee Martin. I think Pruitt hired Tee just for that purpose. Get him ready; then beat his azz every year. Hmmmm. Sound Alabama-ish?
OP skipped ALOT of wins...Bama won't hire off optimism. If we win alot of games in the next 2-3 years and Saban retires, and Pruitt decides to bolt, I personally think Chaney would be the guy. He talks and acts like a HC, has been around the block, and if you look at his practice instructions, demands perfection/precision. After that, if Saban holds out for 5+ years, I'd say between Ansley, who is an up and comer, and Tee...though Ansley may only last here for a couple years if he's as good as we think he is.

BTW, Fulmer knows Pruitt is a flight risk, and pretty much said if Pruitt is faced with that decision, then first, UT would try and make it a difficult decision for him, and secondly, if he leaves, he'd be leaving UT in a much better spot...in which case, soliciting top coaching talent to The Hill won't be as difficult as the past decade.

This. But i would replace those big 2 with the majority of the SEC. He will have to win 9-10 games a year before they bring him in.

If he is dominating Florida and Georgia he is winning 10-11 or 12 games in the regular season. Alabama with Saban will be his toughest challenge and maybe one other SEC team may make a game out of it.

My proposal which I admit is dastardly, beyond insane, and downright evil. Screw the speculation of the Vols becoming de-Pruitted and enjoy the moment and believe we are finally climbing the steep hill of a return to prominence.

THE coach and I don't care who it is that follows Saban at Bama has a career that is in "Dead Man Walking" mode.

I could see sarkisian take over after Saban retires.
Not unless Jimbo says "No." A Saban boy who's already won a natty? Look: First off, following in Nick Saban's footsteps is pretty much a fool's folly for anyone except the (both) most talented and at the same time most foolhardy fella' on the block. Talking about being set up for disappointment...and with that insane bunch in Tuscaloosa? It's my bet CJP will have to be blasted out of Knoxville with dynamite with the setup Phil's put in place for him. If the Vols do great with him, let's expect Dabo's salary to run second to Coach Pru's. Hey. Let's win a lot of games first. Enjoy these teams here at UT and let it play out.

Priutt hasn't done anything to be considered for Saban's replacement yet, Saban isn't even hinting at retiring, so why do we have to have these discussions? Let's just see if CJP can make solid progress this year and give us any hope that eventually Tennessee football will be the football program that it was in the lets 80's to the early 2000's! When Tennessee is in the top ten at the end of the year every year contending for the East, the SEC, and the playoff then it will be a valid discussion but until then just give it a rest! Not only do we not know if Pruitt will be Alabama's next coach, we don't even know if he will be Tennessee's coach five years from now!

2 simple facts:

1. Only way CJP is offered by Bama is if he is successful at bringing Tennessee back, including as some have said previously, beating Florida and Georgia on a consistent basis.

2. If that happens, I believe CJP accepts that offer. a) It's his home and where he played. b) Great coaches are competitive or they wouldn't be great coaches. c) If he does restore Tennessee, he'll have the confidence to believe he can win at Bama. d) And although the pressure is tremendous at Alabama, the environment and culture for success there are also tremendous.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Just a couple of quick points to make about Pruitt as we approach SEC Media Days and the start of Fall practice:

1) Pruitt had a very good first year. Hear me out here:

You pretty much ALWAYS go backwards in Year 1. Pruitt took over the actual worst team in Tennessee history, and in Year 1 went against the toughest schedule Tennessee has had to play in as far back as I can remember (do you all realize that aside from the 3 scrubs and Vandy, every team we played either started or finished the year ranked in the Top 25? 4 of which either started or finished in the Top 10?? That’s unheard of.) Pruitt should have won 3 games last year. Instead, Pruitt:

-Increased our win total from 2017 by 1 game
-Increased our conference win total by 2 games
-Beat two Top 25 teams, one of which was on their field
-Beat an SEC West team for the first time in 8 years
-Improved Tennessee in basically every category
-Was only one of 4 teams in the regular season to score 21 or better on Bama (the next two SEC teams they played were shut out)

And again, did this all in Year 1, taking over the worst team in school history, and going against one of the toughest schedules in school history.

We have great reason for optimism under Pruitt.

Now: Reality check.

Saban will retire at some point in the next few years, and Dabo isn’t going to Bama. So either Pruitt hasn’t accomplished enough here to be courted by Bama, or Bama calls and Pruitt will have his bags backed within 5 minutes.

Pruitt is from Bama, played at Bama, his family is in Alabama, and it will be the most desired coaching job in the history of sports. Truth be told, I would question Pruitt’s judgment if he didn’t take the job.

We have less than 2 months until kickoff and our schedule is much much much easier this year. Let’s be appreciative of what Pruitt has done so far and get ready to enjoy the 2019 season.

Dude you built me up to let me down. Not cool lol.

I dunno anyone who builds a championship program and leaves to go coach their nemesis, do you? Pruitt came here to do just that. Build a championship program.

If Saban leaves in a few years, that will be Pruitt’s 5th year which was deemed by many to be the year he takes it all. If he succeeds, that could be the very thing that drives Saban to retire. I don’t see Pruitt winning and jumping ship. He isn’t Kiffin at whatever age he was when he bolted to USC. Speaking of which, I think Kiffin is probably eying that position and will be a likely candidate for Bama at that juncture.

A) Pruitt hasn't succeeded at UT yet.

B) He'd be foolish if after he built UT into a competitor to leave for uncertainty. Kiffin thought he was stepping into a good situation at USCw too.

No one knows what he will do. A move to Bama or anywhere else is no "guarantee".... assuming he succeeds of course.
Ask Doug Dickey how it worked for him.

Reactions: UTwild82
Why would anyone ever want to follow one of the greatest head coaches. That’s a lot of pressure.
True, even to follow a good coach is a challenge e.g. : Mack Brown, Vince Dooley, Jimbo Fisher etc. Those who followed had big shoes to fill. And pressure.

VN Store

Back