Prison Reform Bill

The main things posted are cars being broken into. In some neighborhoods people don’t even lock their cars because they’d rather have someone get in and find nothing than break out the window and find nothing. These aren’t bad neighborhoods either, but the thieves know where to go.
Makes no difference the specific crime being discussed - in all likelihood the reason crime seems more common to you is because there's a social network where people can quickly and easily broadcast a crime that was committed to a whole bunch of people. You couldn't do that 25 years ago or even 10 years ago.

It's just like people to talk about how people are meaner now and point to stuff on Twitter as evidence. Are people really meaner, or is there just an easy way to broadcast it now?

Makes no difference the specific crime being discussed - in all likelihood the reason crime seems more common to you is because there's a social network where people can quickly and easily broadcast a crime that was committed to a whole bunch of people. You couldn't do that 25 years ago or even 10 years ago.

It's just like people to talk about how people are meaner now and point to stuff on Twitter as evidence. Are people really meaner, or is there just an easy way to broadcast it now?
Well maybe. Nextdoor is also invitation only, and not everyone who has this happen gets on there to report crimes. A police blotter would be a better representation of how bad the problem is.

And I do think people have gotten meaner because social media has given you the ability to act anonymously. 25 years ago if I wanted to insult your mother I’d have to call you or write a letter. Now you just hop on Twitter or FB and take shots at whatever moves. Not only that but the more shocking the statement the more views/votes/likes it gets. There are people with some serious personal issues spewing venom because some random stranger liking said venom makes them feel good.

That kind of stuff has always happened in Red Bank, unfortunately. Never/hardly ever any sort of serious, violent crime, but petty crime has never exactly been rare there.
A lot of it is in Stuart Heights/Lupton City area. Once it becomes rampant in North Chatt proper the mayor will do something about it.

Crime and violent crime are two different things. The violent crime rate may be down, but things like theft seem worse than ever. We have Nextdoor here and there are weekly posts about someone’s car being broken into or things taken from the garage. A guy in our department had an Amazon package stolen off his porch last week, my neighbor has had packages stolen and my mom as well. Things like that definitely seem more prevalent than they were years ago.
Someone stole your mom?

It is usually a determinant for people who are moving to look at areas that have low crime statistics. I’ve seen the last 15 years or so larger cities trying to reclassify crimes on the violence scale so that can cut the crime rates in their city. Can anyone speak to this?

It is usually a determinant for people who are moving to look at areas that have low crime statistics. I’ve seen the last 15 years or so larger cities trying to reclassify crimes on the violence scale so that can cut the crime rates in their city. Can anyone speak to this?

Crime is down, but some of it is fake news

#127 The Crime Machine, Part I by Reply All

Exclusive: Text of Latest Version of First Step Act Still Allows Violent Criminals Early Release

The text of the latest version of the First Step Act, being circulated by proponents to law enforcement groups and obtained by Breitbart News, still allows a number of violent criminals early release under the program.

The text of the bill, which proponents still refuse to make available to the public but Breitbart News has obtained and is publishing here, is what senators intend to introduce this month as part of a final U.S. Senate push for criminal justice reform legislation.

In the corner of every page, the date Dec. 8, 2018 and time of 7:56 p.m.–which would have been late Saturday evening–are printed as the date and time this latest “discussion draft” was printed. The pdf version obtained by Breitbart News, however, dates it in the title of the pdf even newer–as a Dec. 10, 2018, which means this version is considered the latest as of Monday evening.

Opponents of the legislation, chief among them Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), are concerned that the First Step Act may release early from prison into the general public a group of violent criminals and convicts–putting the country’s safety and security at risk.

READ THE BILL: THE FIRST STEP ACT ‘DISCUSSION DRAFT’:
Text of Latest Version of First Step Act Still Allows Criminals Early Release

Red Bank.

I went to kindergarten at red bank elementary...bout 35 years ago. Dont know if it still exists or not. Chatt was actually the last place that I lived in Tennessee, but all my folks are from knoxville/sevier county. I have been in the Charlotte area for over 30 years now, but Knoxville will always be my hometown. Married a Charlotte girl and the rest is history, I am stuck. Lol

Exclusive: Text of Latest Version of First Step Act Still Allows Violent Criminals Early Release

The text of the latest version of the First Step Act, being circulated by proponents to law enforcement groups and obtained by Breitbart News, still allows a number of violent criminals early release under the program.

The text of the bill, which proponents still refuse to make available to the public but Breitbart News has obtained and is publishing here, is what senators intend to introduce this month as part of a final U.S. Senate push for criminal justice reform legislation.

In the corner of every page, the date Dec. 8, 2018 and time of 7:56 p.m.–which would have been late Saturday evening–are printed as the date and time this latest “discussion draft” was printed. The pdf version obtained by Breitbart News, however, dates it in the title of the pdf even newer–as a Dec. 10, 2018, which means this version is considered the latest as of Monday evening.

Opponents of the legislation, chief among them Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), are concerned that the First Step Act may release early from prison into the general public a group of violent criminals and convicts–putting the country’s safety and security at risk.

READ THE BILL: THE FIRST STEP ACT ‘DISCUSSION DRAFT’:
Text of Latest Version of First Step Act Still Allows Criminals Early Release
That is some heavy ( yawn) reading. 189 pages on scribd. That bill is loaded.

Senate passes sweeping criminal justice reform bill

The would be huge for the President, something people mostly agree on.

WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a huge criminal law reform bill on Tuesday night, seizing on bipartisan support for the broadest set of changes to federal crime statutes in a generation.

A rare coalition of conservatives, liberals, activists, prosecutors and defense attorneys — spanning the political spectrum — pushed senators to pass the "First Step Act" by a final vote of 87-12.

The House is expected to take up the Senate version of the bill at a later date. The House passed a similar version of the bill back in May by a wide margin, 360-59.

WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a huge criminal law reform bill on Tuesday night, seizing on bipartisan support for the broadest set of changes to federal crime statutes in a generation.

A rare coalition of conservatives, liberals, activists, prosecutors and defense attorneys — spanning the political spectrum — pushed senators to pass the "First Step Act" by a final vote of 87-12.

The House is expected to take up the Senate version of the bill at a later date. The House passed a similar version of the bill back in May by a wide margin, 360-59.
Great news

A major provision of the bill gives judges more leeway to diverge from strict mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenders with criminal histories.
this is the only thing I have seen so far that would have a major impact.

VN Store

Back