Preseason SEC Poll - TN picked 6th

I think that's a reasonable placement going into a season with a new coach following a record-setting down year that also saw us lose one all-American-quality point guard and another player with huge upside to transfer.

The main priority, for me, is to NOT LOSE TO ALABAMA FOR A NAUSEATING SIXTH CONSECUTIVE TIME! lol

FYI: Alabama returns it's top four of five starting players from last year's team, and only lost two players overall -- one who was a fixture on the bench. So, if Tennessee can beat them then it will be an easy way to measure progress.

Last edited:
Fair ranking until proven otherwise. Win the games you are supposed to and some others where you are underdogs.

I agree i also think this team will be better then last year. The reason i say this is because our post play on both ends of the was awful at times. Don`t get me wrong KK was not in the best of shape and hurt her knee so that injury limited her in practice. Now with the addition of 6-6 Key teams will not get a lot easy baskets. Note i`m surprise to see they have Auburn ahead of LSU 6-5 Faustine Aifuwa is a beast in the post on both ends of the floor.

It would be very disappointing to finish sixth in the SEC this year, IMO. Looking over the rosters of the other teams, only SC has talent equal to ours, and SC's talent are mostly freshmen. I expect a top 3 SEC finish for the LV's.
I think people are looking at your post as a weakness. You have two returning players in Harris and KK that haven’t performed that well, and two 6’5”freshmen that were ranked 47 and 100+.

You also have two guards that will be counted on to contribute that are freshmen.

I’m not sure it’s fair to your new coach to put too many expectations on this team this season.

I think people are looking at your post as a weakness. You have two returning players in Harris and KK that haven’t performed that well, and two 6’5”freshmen that were ranked 47 and 100+.

You also have two guards that will be counted on to contribute that are freshmen.

I’m not sure it’s fair to your new coach to put too many expectations on this team this season.

Well let me push back a little, I know very little about 6-4 Emily Saunders never seen her play. As for Key i have watched her play and her ranking 47 was just crazy should have been ranked higher then 47 don`t underestimate Key.

Coach Harper’s task will be to restore confidence and credibility in the program and assemble a collective product that doesn’t belie the talent on paper. Warlick’s teams underachieved, largely due to reliance on individual spurts. Harper has to become the chemist that blends these talents into an unselfish team while battling the growing pains and learning curves that come with balancing the newness with the uneven memories of the past.

Rankings are overrated right now. Let’s learn to compete first. By late February the rankings will be accurate and non subjective.

It would be very disappointing to finish sixth in the SEC this year, IMO. Looking over the rosters of the other teams, only SC has talent equal to ours, and SC's talent are mostly freshmen. I expect a top 3 SEC finish for the LV's.

Tennessee finishing 6th (or worse) would be a pretty sad indictment on Harper as a coach IMO. It would be hard to argue her being much of an "upgrade" from her predecessor, if at all...

Well let me push back a little, I know very little about 6-4 Emily Saunders never seen her play. As for Key i have watched her play and her ranking 47 was just crazy should have been ranked higher then 47 don`t underestimate Key.
I won’t.....lol. But as we all know, freshman posts, unless a generational talent, struggle their freshman season.

Reactions: brassie
A few years ago I would have bet my years earnings the Lady Vols would never be picked sixth in the SEC.The only way this can be changed is recruiting.If Kelly can't get the type players (like Parker-Holdsclaw-Catchings etc.) it will be hard to separate from the pack!

Tennessee finishing 6th (or worse) would be a pretty sad indictment on Harper as a coach IMO. It would be hard to argue her being much of an "upgrade" from her predecessor, if at all...

Tennessee finished 8th last season, and have since lost the head coach, leading scorer and 3 starters from last season's team. I think this ranking is more of a "Show Me" ranking than a declaration of how good the team will be. They just don't know at this stage of the season, what the team will look like....

I kinda figured them to be ranked in the top 5 at best. Everyone has been saying USC, MSU, and TAMU for a while now, and I knew about Arkansas - they had a very strong season last season, and return a lot of their team. I forgot about Kentucky - I guess Mitchell has gotten past that ugly phase of players transferring out of the program a few years back.....

I think the Lady Vols finish higher than 6th and Missouri finishes higher than 9th. Both these teams will be better by the time the conference games begin and both have more depth than a couple of the teams rated higher.

I think the Lady Vols finish higher than 6th and Missouri finishes higher than 9th. Both these teams will be better by the time the conference games begin and both have more depth than a couple of the teams rated higher.
Adding to this, it's strange to have Miss State at third when they've got a heck of a class coming in.

VN Store

Back