Prepare for War

Doesn't that make him a good head coach? He's a master motivator and a good delegator (something Butch never learned, and Pruitt is starting to learn). He doesn't make boneheaded gameday decisions like Les Miles did. And apparently, he has an eye for coaching talent. Ensminger and Joe Brady were both risky moves when his leash was already short, and all of a sudden he's beating Saban. And guys want to play hard for him and coach with him, so he might even be able to keep Joe Brady around.
I figured when they gave it to him, they figured.."what the hell" we get him cheap and nobody will beat Bama till Saban is gone anyway. See Texas A&M with Jimbo and his $75 million! Hah, hah, hah...And instead, they beat Bama with the cheapest coach in the league!

Well as soon as we hired Pruitt the inevitable though has to creep into any vol fans mind...will bama look to replace saban with Pruitt. I think it obviously hinges entirely on how successful Pruitt is here. And he has a long ways to go before being considered. A longs ways. But let’s just assume that we continue to improve over the next 3 years and saban deciders to retire following the 2022 season. Pruitt has a really tough decision. TN at that point will be entirely his team. Everyone will have had to buy in and all those players will be his players. I honestly believe it would be a really dumb decision for him to follow saban. It’s an absolutely impossible situation to be successful in. No coach in the world will be successful immediately following saban. None. All the players on that roster will be saban’s. Whoever comes in is in for a tough 3-5 years. They’ll eventually fail and potentially the following coach will have a chance to start over and be successful. Pruitt will have a tough decision due to his ties to bama. That has to have been the dream job when he first got into coaching. But hopefully he’ll be able to recognize the best path to him having a legacy of his own will be to remain at the school that allowed him to become a coach to begin with. We’ll see. I’d say that’s a great problem to be worried about down the road. If saban retired now we’d have nothing to worry about.
One thing you said is absolutely spot on: "it would be a really dumb decision for him to follow Saban". As a coach, you never want to be the first or even second guy to follow a legend. Fan expectations set you up for failure. No matter how good you are, you'll always be compared to the legend. The list of successful replacements is very short. The list of total failures is really long. Legends: Summitt, Neyland, Lombardi, Bear, Dean Smith, Schembechler, Woody Hayes, Darryl Royal, Pete Carroll, etc. All left programs at the top and all their immediate successors were widely considered failures. Few of those that followed the legends ever recovered after failing. So, if you want to end your career prematurely, follow a legend!

It's no decision for Pruitt! If Tennessee is playing for championships and Bama strikes out on Dabo or others and comes to Pruitt, he will go. That's his dream job. No amount of money will keep him. JMO
Dream jobs often turn into nightmares. In the coaching profession, more often than not.

I am going to say coach O has to be cheating. And no one could convince me otherwise. With what he did at Ole Miss and here. And the LSU basketball team got caught last year. Something stinks in LSU
And every one else is cheating, some are just better at it.

I’m a believer that Pruitt & Co. will have Tennessee competitive for SECCs and the NCS. Along the way, I believe we will see a dip in Alabama fortunes and Saban being smart enough to bow out to preserve his legacy. It’s then that the pachyderm polookas will come calling.

If the UT is smart, they will begin now arming themselves for war. Start now putting aside the money needed to combat Bama’s push to get Pruitt and perhaps his entire staff. Start now being as dedicated as Bama to the football program to keep it top tier. Instead of lapsing back into the cesspool we allowed it to get mired in the first place. It might not be a bad idea to set a goal of a five hundred million stash to go along with whatever else might be needed. And even if we lost out, we’d be in such a sweet place hire whoever else wanted. Start arming now for the war to come.

Was there not some of the posters on here saying the same thing about Dooley?

Reactions: I40flyer
People can say what they want about Orgeron and his being fired at Ole Miss. Ole Miss has to have something funny going on to win in the SEC, nobody will set the woods on fire down there. I do know this, when Kiffin was told not to board the bus and Haden fired him at USC, Orgeron took over from that point on and did not lose a game thereafter. The USC kids loved him. SC knows now he should have gotten that job and he wanted it. They will fire Helton in the next few weeks and wish they could get someone as good as Orgeron. As another poster said, LSU recruits itself, they're primary territory is talent rich. Orgeron knows he needs a big time QB to be successful. LSU will be a power as long as Orgeron is there, Saban and the gumps better get used to it.

Was there not some of the posters on here saying the same thing about Dooley?

I live in the present and not the past. So what was then is then, and what is now is now. That works for me if no one else cause I'm pretty easy to please.

Saban had his time in the NFL-I wouldn't be looking at only high quality HC within the NCAA, but an eye to NFL as well. I doubt that Saban just leaves without notice, or planning-he'll have a lot of say in who's to follow. Why wouldn't you listen? He's proven himself to be the coach everyone fears-that's why we keep talking about him.

I just don't see Pruitt chomping at the bit to follow in the footsteps of Saban. No one is going to replicate the success Saban has had there. It would be more than foolish unless you are just chasing the money.

VN Store

Back