Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Starting to sound like Pep won’t be back at City next year. Lots of managerial turnover this offseason. City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Brighton, and TBD on United.

Sounds like Chelsea is hiring Enzo Maresca, or Great Value brand Pep if you will. He managed Palmer and Lavia when they under 18s at City but was very underwhelming in his Series B managerial debut and Leicester last year was a Premier League level team playing in the Championship. Hard to judge his promotion success too much there.

Ffs though, this stat: “Replacing Poch with Maresca will likely cost CFC north of £20m. £64m+ spent on managerial changes in about 20 months. 💀

If these sporting directors fail on this hire they better be out the door.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Jump on this before it ends.
No catch, I got it back on Black Friday in November.

Signup for a year of Peacock for 19.99 (1.67 a month)
Use the code STREAMTHEDEAL

Reactions: Nash_Vol97 and C/O
Another Real Madrid CL trophy. Boring.
What's wild about their CL domination is that even if you disregard their run of 5 to start the competition in the 50s when it was brand new and wasn't deep, they still have 3 more than anybody else. They have 9 since 1998. They have won the CL roughly once every 3 years over a 25-year period.

It is also astonishing how good they are in the CL final itself. If you make it to the final a lot over a period of time, I'd say a winning half of them is good. Winning around two-thirds of them (like Milan, Liverpool, and Barca have) is really good. RM has a winning percentage of .833 in CL finals (15-3) and have won 9 in a row since losing their last one in 1981. That's just insane to win at that clip against elite competition.

What's wild about their CL domination is that even if you disregard their run of 5 to start the competition in the 50s when it was brand new and wasn't deep, they still have 3 more than anybody else. They have 9 since 1998. They have won the CL roughly once every 3 years over a 25-year period.

It is also astonishing how good they are in the CL final itself. If you make it to the final a lot over a period of time, I'd say a winning half of them is good. Winning around two-thirds of them (like Milan, Liverpool, and Barca have) is really good. RM has a winning percentage of .833 in CL finals (15-3) and have won 9 in a row since losing their last one in 1981. That's just insane to win at that clip against elite competition.
They just keep winning. They weren’t the better team in the City QF legs and you could argue they weren’t against Bayern or Dortmund either, but they expect to win and that mindset never falters. Both of their last two finals, against Liverpool and then Dortmund, they were outplayed for a large chunk of the game but solid defense and Curtois making clutch saves kept them in it long enough for them to take advantage in the 2nd half. That championship pedigree just means it doesn’t matter the flow of the game or the team they are up against, you can’t ever count them out.

Add in Mbappe and a young but extremely talented midfield stepping into the shoes of Kroos, Modric, etc., and they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. They are loaded, and likely will have Alonso taking over for the manager position Ancoletti after next year. If this past year wasn’t just a flash in the pan for Alonso then man, him with that team will just be ridiculous.

No surprise here. Vote was 19-1, with Wolves being the only vote to scrap it. Will be interesting to see what sort of improvements they come up with.

I figured that would happen, but I was wondering if there’d would be a few more small clubs voting in the Wolves’ favor thinking that the big clubs get favored more in VAR decisions

VN Store

Back