Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

The biggest issue I have with it is cuts the legs out from any non-major soccer club to achieve greatness. Look at a team like Atalanta BC. Promoted to Series A in 2011 and in 2016 qualified for first Europa league in 26 years. 2 seasons later they qualified for the champions league and went all the way to the semi finals. They were also in the champions league this year finishing 2nd in their pool in group stage.

If the super league happens, these types of stories aren’t as special. Sure, the champions league may still be a thing but if the top clubs in football are all in the super league.. the champions league just isn’t as special. No way it can be if the champions league winner beats teams that are middle of the pack in their own domestic table because the top teams are all in the super league.

Also, I don’t like the idea of having the top teams play each other every year, multiple times a year. For instance, if Man City would have played Barcelona this year in champions league, every soccer fan in the world would be watching that. It’s a big game and it doesn’t happen very often. If they play multiple times a year.. the fascination of that game gets desensitized so to speak. It turns into just another game. Some may like this.. most futbol fans won’t.
Said it better than I could, solid post.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
Sources: 15 clubs in $6bn Super League talks

Judging by Twitter, I might be the only person excited by the prospect of this twenty-team "super league." I don't really have a horse in the race since I like the sport more so than I do any particular club, and the notion of a league comprised solely of the big dogs sounds promising to me, but if they did something like this in collegiate athletics and Tennessee wasn't included I would be beyond irate so I get where fans of more pedestrian EPL clubs are coming from.

It’s not just fans of pedestrian EPL clubs that are irate, everybody is. I haven’t heard of one fan from any of the teams included in the proposed Super League that wants anything to do with this.

Reactions: Persian Vol
The bolded seems somewhat presumptuous on the founding clubs' part, especially in light of the universal negative reaction to the Super League. If everybody hates and doesn't watch this Super League, even the founding club's own fans, they aren't going to get CL-type money from it. It won't be a prestigious league that people want to watch (and therefore makes gobs of money) just because the founding clubs say it is.

I enjoy European soccer, but I also don't have a club or any rooting interest whatsoever. So I'm kind of ambivalent about the whole thing. However I do see why people have a problem with it on the basis of it being antithetical to the promotion/relegation system, which the entire sport is built on.
I don’t know how you choose a European soccer team to root for, it’s not easy, you really are missing out though not having a team to support. For many years I tried to choose one but that never worked out. I started dating a girl who happened to be an Arsenal fan and the rest is history.

I don’t know how you choose a European soccer team to root for, it’s not easy, you really are missing out though not having a team to support. For many years I tried to choose one but that never worked out. I started dating a girl who happened to be an Arsenal fan and the rest is history.
I have no idea how you'd do it either, so I've never really tried. Every team that I am a fan of I grew up as a fan of the team, and developed a connection to it at a very young age. This will sound incredibly cheesy, but I don't feel like I really "picked" any of the teams that I follow - I got into them at an early age because my dad/family was a fan, so they kind of picked me. I guess the only exception to that was the Nashville Predators - they became a team in 1998, when I was 11. So I guess I wasn't born into liking them (or hockey generally), but I was still young and became a fan because I felt like they were "my team" since they were a Tennessee-based, southeastern US team in a sport that was not all that popular here.

I think I could only see myself picking a team if I developed some kind of personal connection to one (e.g., I moved over there and became a fan of a team close to where I lived, became friends with someone who was a huge fan of a team, etc.). When I first started paying attention to soccer as a kid Man United was on their run and I remember watching some games (when they rarely came on) and wanting them to win, but that was pure bandwagon stuff.

Reactions: MAD
Saw a news wire saying that they are preparing a request to withdraw from it altogether. There's a pretty good chance this Super League never even gets off the ground.

Was just coming to say that. I’m a Chelsea fan, and while I’m very disappointed they joined in the first place, I’m glad they are seeing the light and withdrawing now.

Apparently Chelsea and Man City were basically contacted a few days before the announcement and were told to get in or be left out of the super league, and so they both joined. Hopefully Chelsea is just the first domino to fall and more teams follow, which I believe will happen.

I have no idea how you'd do it either, so I've never really tried. Every team that I am a fan of I grew up as a fan of the team, and developed a connection to it at a very young age. This will sound incredibly cheesy, but I don't feel like I really "picked" any of the teams that I follow - I got into them at an early age because my dad/family was a fan, so they kind of picked me. I guess the only exception to that was the Nashville Predators - they became a team in 1998, when I was 11. So I guess I wasn't born into liking them (or hockey generally), but I was still young and became a fan because I felt like they were "my team" since they were a Tennessee-based, southeastern US team in a sport that was not all that popular here.

I think I could only see myself picking a team if I developed some kind of personal connection to one (e.g., I moved over there and became a fan of a team close to where I lived, became friends with someone who was a huge fan of a team, etc.). When I first started paying attention to soccer as a kid Man United was on their run and I remember watching some games (when they rarely came on) and wanting them to win, but that was pure bandwagon stuff.

Just my two cents on what I did as I’ve really only started following for a couple years now. I would watch occasional games when it was on and didn’t follow, but I enjoyed it, so I started recording games of the week and any other EPL games I could get. I watched them all. Learned some of the top players, learned some history of the clubs, etc. After watching for almost half a season or so I just started to gravitate to a few teams, and in particular, I really enjoyed watching Chelsea. So I chose Chelsea. Haven’t looked back since.

If you’ve already done all that and still don’t feel a team stick out then no biggie. Nothing wrong with being a fan of the league/sport with no particular team.

Just my two cents on what I did as I’ve really only started following for a couple years now. I would watch occasional games when it was on and didn’t follow, but I enjoyed it, so I started recording games of the week and any other EPL games I could get. I watched them all. Learned some of the top players, learned some history of the clubs, etc. After watching for almost half a season or so I just started to gravitate to a few teams, and in particular, I really enjoyed watching Chelsea. So I chose Chelsea. Haven’t looked back since.

If you’ve already done all that and still don’t feel a team stick out then no biggie. Nothing wrong with being a fan of the league/sport with no particular team.
Outside of that flirtation with Man United as a kid (which I don't really count), I think I'd have to say that the only two teams I've looked at and said "I can see why people are fans of theirs" are Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund. I remember when I played the FIFA soccer video game I liked playing seasons with those teams and trying to get them over the hump. They are consistently competitive, yet also still underdogs relative to at least one other big club in their league and nobody expects them to win it all. In any sport, I'm also drawn to organizations that are good at signing/drafting, developing, and then keeping their top players as opposed to simply throwing the most money at free agents. I've also been drawn to Liverpool at some points or another; I know they are great in European competition but the fact that they hadn't won the Premier League until 2020 was wild to me and I enjoyed watching them get over that hump. Jurgen Klopp seems like a good dude as well, and of course he was previously at Dortmund.

I know that there are clubs besides those two that also ascribe to the philosophy, but Spurs and Dortmund were I guess the two most visible to me.

Man City leaving Super League as well. Dominos are falling.
Yep. I think it is going to be over before it even begins.

They totally misread the room, and thought that a Super League would be a prestigious competition just because they said so. Those guys are incredibly rich and powerful people, but ultimately if the only people what want your product (the Super League) are the creators of the product, then it'll flop. There has to be some demand for it.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97 and MAD
Agreed. Joining a non-sanctioned competition was a flagrant violation of PL/FA rules. Points deduction for next season and transfer bans should definitely be on the table.
Expect to hear "we hadn't actually joined a new competition yet - we hadn't officially signed anything and just had an agreement in principle" or something to that effect.

I don't know if that would fly, just expect the only winners in the end to be the lawyers though.

Expect to hear "we hadn't actually joined a new competition yet - we hadn't officially signed anything and just had an agreement in principle" or something to that effect.

I don't know if that would fly, just expect the only winners in the end to be the lawyers though.
Exactly. Nothing will end up happening to the teams

Agreed. Should they be punished? Probably. Will they? No.

Liverpool has me cheering Chelsea and City's doings...

What the hell is this? :eek:

Residual aftermath of 2020 to say the least

Fine the Owners but you can't punish the players/managers like that
Why not exactly? The FA hands out points deductions all the time in the lower leagues that effectively relegate teams when they enter administration and their players just have to deal. I’m not talking about sending them to the bottom of the pyramid and then forcing the players to stay. Have them all start next season on -20 or -25 points. That’s not even so much that CL qualification would be entirely out of reach.

Why not exactly? The FA hands out points deductions all the time in the lower leagues that effectively relegate teams when they enter administration and their players just have to deal. I’m not talking about sending them to the bottom of the pyramid and then forcing the players to stay. Have them all start next season on -20 or -25 points. That’s not even so much that CL qualification would be entirely out of reach.

Chelsea and Man City just effectively saved the Premier League; what's the point in punishing the teams that control the stability of your house of cards for having a bad idea? The cat is out of the bag and it's readily apparent now that the Big Six extends beyond merely typifying English football, so biting the hand that feeds seems more than a little strange.

Wretched idea. Nothing is perfect but I love the setup as it currently is. It is unique to sport and I wish American sports could do something similar to multiple layers of leagues, promotions and relegations, Champions Leagues, etc. it would never happen but man it would be fun.

Glad Bayern and Dortmund come out against as well as a few others.

Chelsea and Man City just effectively saved the Premier League; what's the point in punishing the teams that control the stability of your house of cards for having a bad idea? The cat is out of the bag and it's readily apparent now that the Big Six extends beyond merely typifying English football, so biting the hand that feeds seems more than a little strange.
IMO it needs to be made crystal clear to these six teams that under no circumstances are the inmates going to be allowed to run the asylum. Otherwise, we’ll probably just be right back here every six months so until they finally get what they want.

VN Store

Back