Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

IMO it needs to be made crystal clear to these six teams that under no circumstances are the inmates going to be allowed to run the asylum. Otherwise, we’ll probably just be right back here every six months so until they finally get what they want.

I completely get where you're coming from, but finding an equitable way to punish the owners who pushed for the creation of a European Super League that doesn't simultaneously hurt the players/lower club management/fans/communities in which the six teams are located is a pretty tall order. No small part of the outcry revolved around both taking the game away from "the people" and club classification that doesn't reflect on-pitch results, so point deductions seem somewhat counterintuitive. There's a chance that financially penalizing club ownership could hurt the aforementioned groups in trickledown, sure, but it just seems to be the least damaging option.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
I completely get where you're coming from, but finding an equitable way to punish the owners who pushed for the creation of a European Super League that doesn't simultaneously hurt the players/lower club management/fans/communities in which the six teams are located is a pretty tall order. No small part of the outcry revolved around both taking the game away from "the people" and club classification that doesn't reflect on-pitch results, so point deductions seem somewhat counterintuitive. There's a chance that financially penalizing club ownership could hurt the aforementioned groups in trickledown, sure, but it just seems to be the least damaging option.
Fair points. In truth though, I’m not sure the FA or UEF actually have the ability to straight up fine club owners. I can remember plenty of point deductions and transfer bans, but struggle to remember any fines.

It’s going to be interesting to see where things go from here for the owners. FSG, the Glazer’s and Kroenke seem to have been the ones leading this charge, and after listening to Neville and Carragher’s thoughts on Sky tonight, it’s not difficult to see their positions as owners quickly becoming untenable. Wonder how much pressure the supporters can continue to apply to either bring about permanent, concrete change and end this level of cynical greed for good?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Why not exactly? The FA hands out points deductions all the time in the lower leagues that effectively relegate teams when they enter administration and their players just have to deal. I’m not talking about sending them to the bottom of the pyramid and then forcing the players to stay. Have them all start next season on -20 or -25 points. That’s not even so much that CL qualification would be entirely out of reach.
Relegate them to the Championship

Those 6 clubs won't be docked any points or fined; they sure as hell won't be relegated. The PL isn't going to cut off their nose to spite their face, and the 6 clubs who tried to break away knew this. They knew that the primary thing they could lose with this stunt was PR.

It's just amazing how poorly thought out this was. It is patently obvious that they don't truly understand European soccer, but Kroenke, Henry, and the Glazers are pretty shrewd businesspeople generally. If you have zilch buy in from all of the stakeholders (except yourself), how do you go forward with any project, regardless of the industry or business?

A product is not good, prestigious or "super" just because you say or think it is; that is up for the market to decide. Did they go forward with this without talking to anyone, including their own clubs' leaderships, coaches, players, and trying to get the pulse of fans (who all of the expected revenues are going to come from)? It's being reported that the front offices of all of these clubs were vehemently against it, and these guys report directly to ownership. Quite amazing if so.

Reactions: MAD
Those 6 clubs won't be docked any points or fined; they sure as hell won't be relegated. The PL isn't going to cut off their nose to spite their face, and the 6 clubs who tried to break away knew this. They knew that the primary thing they could lose with this stunt was PR.

It's just amazing how poorly thought out this was. It is patently obvious that they don't truly understand European soccer, but Kroenke, Henry, and the Glazers are pretty shrewd businesspeople generally. If you have zilch buy in from all of the stakeholders (except yourself), how do you go forward with any project, regardless of the industry or business?

A product is not good, prestigious or "super" just because you say or think it is; that is up for the market to decide. Did they go forward with this without talking to anyone, including their own clubs' leaderships, coaches, players, and trying to get the pulse of fans (who all of the expected revenues are going to come from)? It's being reported that the front offices of all of these clubs were vehemently against it, and these guys report directly to ownership. Quite amazing if so.
This is one of the things the guys on Men in Blazers mentioned on their most recent episode. Would be fascinating to see the market research done prior to the announcement, if it even exists. It seems egregious for the clubs not to have done any, and more so for whoever was bankrolling the whole operation. I’m pretty sure the supporter’s trust from each of the involved clubs issued a statement saying that they were never consulted.

This is one of the things the guys on Men in Blazers mentioned on their most recent episode. Would be fascinating to see the market research done prior to the announcement, if it even exists. It seems egregious for the clubs not to have done any, and more so for whoever was bankrolling the whole operation. I’m pretty sure the supporter’s trust from each of the involved clubs issued a statement saying that they were never consulted.
I'm not shocked that fan groups weren't consulted, but I would be shocked if the front offices of these teams were never consulted, or were consulted, gave a very negative reaction, and they went ahead anyway. That'd be totally in character for the Glazers, Kroenke, etc. to not be concerned with fans' opinion but you do figure they'd talk to their top lieutenants.

There's a podcast called The Price of Football that did a pretty deep dive on this and brought up a couple of interesting points about how the government could have made life difficult for the clubs if they had gone ahead with this. The most notable was the fact that if these games weren't sanctioned by FIFA or UEFA (which they obviously wouldn't have been), then the police probably wouldn't provide security and would have made it more or less impossible for any of the games to be played in the UK.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Just because you are the second wealthiest owner(Kroenke) in the Premier League doesn’t mean you are a good owner either.
I hope it happens.
True - there's no way he'd be worse than Kroenke.

Sports ownership is a funny thing. Just because you have a committed and passionate owner doesn't mean they'll be good, but just because you have a hands-off owner doesn't mean they'll be bad. The interesting part of this situation is that you'd have your money man (Ek) who is also a fan, combined with several ex-players who "get" Arsenal and the sport at large. Could be a really good combo.

Pulisic just scored in the 1st half to give Chelsea the lead against Real Madrid in the Champions League semis and me, $200 on a $20 bet for Pulisic to score in the 1st half. First American ever to score in a Champions League semi

Pulisic just scored in the 1st half to give Chelsea the lead against Real Madrid in the Champions League semis and me, $200 on a $20 bet for Pulisic to score in the 1st half. First American ever to score in a Champions League semi

Also set the record for most goals in the UCL by an American player at 5 goals.

they keep interrupting the arsenal game to show the ManU fans/protestors/demonstrators doing their thing. hope it doesn't postpone/cancel the manU/liverpool game. was looking forward to watching it

I would pay (like PPV) to see a match of that lineup against liverpool's starting 11. that would be such a cluster**** and there would be so many cards shown (some intentional of course, and many just because the "regular people" would be much slower and late to challenges)

Reactions: C/O
Can someone explain to me in laymen's terms why United fans were trying to break into Old Trafford causing the game to be cancelled? I haven't read up much on it

Can someone explain to me in laymen's terms why United fans were trying to break into Old Trafford causing the game to be cancelled? I haven't read up much on it
Their fans don’t like the owners, and haven’t for some time. This business with the Super League last week only deepened that rift. As with Arsenal and Liverpool in the past few days, a large protest was planned prior to the match to voice their displeasure. Things seem to have just gotten out of control and a few hundred supporters broke into the ground.

VN Store

Back